Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To give folks an idea of what M2's Clearly Auto-thentics look like when they are "painted", I started with this '55 Pontiac. Painted isn't the correct verb though. It was colored using permanent markers and all work was done on the underside of the body thus preserving the silver trim and various emblems. Since my photos are of poor quality (bad batteries), one cannot readily see that the engine compartment as well as the interior were detailed. Blue was used for the main body; black for the top and tires. Obvious are the tail fins which remain clear because the plastic body isn't hollowed out in these parts. If pigmented paint were used, the effect would be such that there shouldn't be any translucent reflection and see-through.

This was a first-time experiment with the Clearly Auto-thentics and it was fun doing. The cars come apart easily and since the parts are so small, the total customizing job can be accomplished in a very short time period.

Overall, I personally like the looks of this altered Pontiac over the "clear" version, but unfortunately for this post, it does present itself far better in real life than in these photos. Maybe with new batteries in place, it will photograph better.

Thanks for looking...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sort of Like 1962 Revell Chrysler Kits

You youngens won't remember these but Revell came out with a set of kits in 1962 that were similar to this. As I remember, they were all based on Chrysler vehicles. The grabber was that they were clear plastic with little metallic speckles embedded in the plastic. You painted them from the inside and the effect was like a metallic paint job. I think this was only offered in 1962. I never see these kits at toy shows so they must be rare.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts