Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm uncertain as to the type or brand of clear coat whether it be matte, gloss or semi-gloss. I see a lot of stuff at the craft store but whatever I buy never seems to do the job quite right. Take for example the gloss coat. There's much to be desired of the the notion of "gloss". It leaves a somewhat frosted appearance when I spray it over something matte.

What do you all recommend for clear coats keeping in mind that I'm limited to Michael's and AC Moore?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Michaels does sell Testors paints... Thier clear flat (Dullcoat) is pretty flat, especially if well shaken. You can get up a reasonable shine with their Glosscoat spray too, if you build it up in layers.

I have some Prismacolor Matte varnish spray from Michaels... its "okay" but is satin/semi gloss at best on a solid item like a model. Maybe on paper where it soaks it the finish would be flatter.

I have used one of the Krylon finishes, but not on a model. Crystal Coat Flat, I think. As I recall it wasn't very flat... again more of a satin/semi gloss finish.

If you use acrylic paints, you may consider mail ordering some Tamiya TS series spray Clear Gloss and Clear Flat. They are excellent. The flat is deat flat, and the gloss can give you a deep "wet look" finish in just a few applications. They are plastic safe synthetic lacquers, but will not go over enamel paints. They are safe over Tamiya acrylics and Tamiya spray colors.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
I use the Testors Clear "Flat" and "Semi-Gloss" for all my kits (depending on the desired effect) and have been very pleased with the results. For the "wet" look of eyes and open mouths I use the Tamiya Gloss Clear, it works great.

- Denis

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies.

Just wondering, why does one of them (I can't remember which) have a rattler ball inside while the other doesn't?

·
Registered
753 Posts
The paint with very little or no solids do not have a ball inside..The higher the sheen the less or no soilds.. I sell paint and often custmers will bring the cans back telling me there is no ratlle ball inside, thinking it is stuck in the bottom of an old can or it is defective in some way ..Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts