Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some help on this one. I am looking for suggestions on clear coating decals when you are NOT doing a full repaint.

Several of you guys do great decal jobs over factory paint, as I have done for years as well. However, I have run on some very old decals that are struggling to stay down. I want to apply some clear over the top of them to secure against lifting.

If I was doing a full repaint, I would just shoot clear coat over the body and reassemble the car. But over a factory paint job ( AND WHITE AT THAT!) I am lost. What can be lightly brushed on and not yellow? I have a little Testers decal set I could try, but I wanted to see what you guys could offer. Thanks for any help!

Ward

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have been using the little Testors bottle of clear gloss and just brushed it on over the decal. It was pretty thin and lots of times I just brushed it on the whole car or just highlighted door silver door handles, bumpers, headlights and tailights. Right now I'm gonna try Polly scale clear gloss, #F404100, also made by Testors. I got this in a hobby shop.

I know for sure I cleared the entire green and purple Willys in this pic, but I'm not sure about the blue one. It speads pretty good with the right brush and is hard to tell. I've done a few white cars over the past year and haven't had one yellow on me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts