Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Hopefully, you have some extra of the waterslides that you can use as a test to see if the type of clear coat you choose might be to hot for the decals before you apply it to the finished product. I have used Krylon and Testor's from the can with good results, however on an occasion or two I have screwed up the job because the aftermarket decals didn't like the topcoat. I have also used Future wax with no problems as a clearcoat to protect the decals and give it a gloss coat. I'm sure they're other sugeestions out there as well. :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used testers on a car with white paint it yellowed .
I just did john greenwoods corvette from revell ( stars & stripes ) with the slides being over two hrs. to install I dont want to crash now.
the clear must be used this body its going on a slot car.
carkrazd

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
TWO HOURS of decal work on a slot car!!?? That's what I call dedication, or masochism, if you run it. Keep'em on their, guy, or, as the truckers say, keep it shiny side up.

Or keep the kleenex handy!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
as roadrner mentioned, some of the clears may be to "hot" for the decals and eat them up.
I've used Tamiya Decals and Tamiya clear with no problems. As was mentioned by roadrner, Testors clear is very good too.
The only advice I can give you is if you do clear coat, do very light mist coats to ease the clear onto the decal. After that a few wet coats will be fine.
Biggest thing though, is testing an area on a scrap model with the same type of decal on your kit. Good luck
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts