Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Excuse me if anyone has already answered this question but, Does anyone in the UK know what is the best product for cleaning vinyl kits before painting them. :confused: I have had a look through some of the threads and can only find suggestions using product that can be found outside of the UK. Would normal washing up detergent be any good e.g Fairy, Persil, morning Fresh....etc

Many thanks
Simon

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Soap and water my man. Soap and water.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Magesblood :thumbsup: I have used this method in the past, but wasn't sure if it was the right way to clean them or not.

Simon

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
you could go stronger with some ajax or other cleaner with degreasing properties but a good scrub with warm water and dish soap, I think, is the way to go. Oh, a toothbrush or a nail scrubber would help too.

Air dry. Don't use any kind of towel, paper or otherwise to dry. It could leave lint behind.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
you could go stronger with some ajax or other cleaner with degreasing properties but a good scrub with warm water and dish soap, I think, is the way to go. Oh, a toothbrush or a nail scrubber would help too.

Air dry. Don't use any kind of towel, paper or otherwise to dry. It could leave lint behind.
Yup.

An electric toothbrush will get into any crevices a sponge will not. Simply soaking the parts in soapy water is not enough. You must treat the surface with some abrasion. I find a green scrubbie to be excellent. Enough grit to wipe the surface clean, not enough to cause any form of damage.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Danny :thumbsup:

I know I should open another Thread but, is it the same for Resin parts as well? I've got replacement Hulk, Robert Downey Jr and Dracula heads, from tom Parker, and don't want to wreck the kits by having the paint job go bad after a few months.

Thanks once again
Simon

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Warm soapy water with a scrubbie and/or toothbrush for resin as well.

The benefit to soapy water is that it goes down the drain and is 'free' since you already have it on hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Model Man,

As you can tell, I've not built too many Resin or Vinyl kits :) I did build the Vinyl Geometric Son of Frankenstein, 4 years ago, but used Plasti-kote primer and Humbrol enamel paints. I'd never built Vinyl kits before so didn't know I had to wash the kit before assembling it. Luckily the paint has stayed on. I am now using acrylic paints, but have not used them on anything other than styrene kits.

Simon

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks Danny :thumbsup:

I know I should open another Thread but, is it the same for Resin parts as well? I've got replacement Hulk, Robert Downey Jr and Dracula heads, from tom Parker, and don't want to wreck the kits by having the paint job go bad after a few months.

Thanks once again
Simon
Same way with all kits Simon:)

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Thanks Model Man,

As you can tell, I've not built too many Resin or Vinyl kits...Simon
I didn't wash my first vinyl and the glue refused to hold. The enamel paint stayed fine, but 2 yrs later it's starting to chip off and the glue is starting to snap. My first 3 or 4 resin kits I didn't wash, lucked out on one, horrible paint issues on the rest. It's a learning experience. Everybody has a first time doing anything.

One vinyl tip I didn't learn until after my most recent build was that using a hair dryer/heat gun on the parts immediately before assembly will go a long way to easing that hassle. Most of my vinyl I also used to cut the lip off that should stay on. There is a proper word for that, but haven't heard it enough to remember it yet. Good luck with it all. Post results! :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Model Man, sorry, I only just noticed you had posted the last message. I will take everyones advice and follow your instructions and will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks to you all
Simon :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts