Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Well todds got a good idea that would eliminate the plates as well but you would or every track would need a load roller to get a baseline on were to start

·
Turning Left
323 Posts
I'd like to see a 15mm on the Sprint class and a pit stop....! Maybe 2 40's! Will....I'm not talking Beverages either....LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, Brent a rev limiter is one way,with a tale tell, or one of those tiny tachs you guys use to check the revs of your motor.That would allow tech to check the rev's easily. it would be up to the racer to set there Legal RPM's, mecanically or electronically. Yes i think that would eliminate restrictor plates, and make the cars more even as a bonus. It sounds off the wall, but it could really work. Fire away......

·
Registered
325 Posts
Things do not need to be changed, we just need to enforce the rules we have not make more.Each time something is changed it devides things up more classes fewr cars. Car counts are small enough, maybe we should do away with the tracks and go back to parking lot shows, gets the best attendance and sells the most cars.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Here is you another idea put a tent peg in the infield tie a rope to the car crank it up and let her rip that would get rid of the radio 2 and we can go sit on the bleachers and talk about the old days

·
Registered
567 Posts
By reading this thread.It seems like certain classes should be slower.I think there are QSAC mandated tires.Why can there not be a rule to slow any class.By one simple thing.

Now for my simple idea.

To slow down a class.Why not mandate a certain gear ratio.For that class.If the GN has 6.5 to 1 ratio.Make the slower class ratio.To what you guys think.You would need to get guys in the cars.

I hope you get me.

ED

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This is all good stuff and a great mental exercise. Please remember we're just having a discussion. Nobody is planning on changing anything. Although I'm not in the loop anymore. Who knows what the Co-Chairs might have up their sleeves.

Will's right you would need some sort of a rev limiter to make the RPM thing work.

It's possible Ed, but a ratio would have to be set at every track we race and someone would need to deterime what that ratio is and someone else is going to be unhappy. Not all engine have the same power band. There is also the problem of tire sizes. For example if the ratio was set high at one track, racers would be putting on bigger tires or low at another track, smaller tires. People will be unhappy about buy and carrying a selection of tires to be competitive. Not shooting you down, just talking.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is all good stuff and a great mental exercise. Please remember we're just having a discussion. Nobody is planning on changing anything. Although I'm not in the loop anymore. Who knows what the Co-Chairs might have up their sleeves.

Will's right you would need some sort of a rev limiter to make the RPM thing work.

It's possible Ed, but a ratio would have to be set at every track we race and someone would need to deterime what that ratio is and someone else is going to be unhappy. Not all engine have the same power band. There is also the problem of tire sizes. For example if the ratio was set high at one track, racers would be putting on bigger tires or low at another track, smaller tires. People will be unhappy about buy and carrying a selection of tires to be competitive. Not shooting you down, just talking.
Brent NP,
I understand what you are saying.Not picking just asking.The tracks should already know. What gears or ratios.Work at their track.
That is why i said set a certain ratio.That is the most common part on the car. One can set that very easy. That would work for a couple of years.Then someone will find a way to go faster.

I would guess most everyone.Will be close in the gear selection.Tires everyone might be a little different.In tire size,compound,hardness or stagger.It seems like it would be for one class.The sportsmen class runs a few tenths slower than a GN.From what i see.With everyone using the almost setup.Except for the plate.

Not picking on you.
Just an idea.
I hope i stay out of trouble.

ED:wave:

·
Registered
485 Posts
By reading this thread.It seems like certain classes should be slower.I think there are QSAC mandated tires.Why can there not be a rule to slow any class.By one simple thing.

Now for my simple idea.

To slow down a class.Why not mandate a certain gear ratio.For that class.If the GN has 6.5 to 1 ratio.Make the slower class ratio.To what you guys think.You would need to get guys in the cars.

I hope you get me.

ED
Ed,
We actually tried gear ratios as well locally. Believe it or not we went up and down the gear chart to pretty far extremes and it didnt change the lap times much if any. A lower gear ratio takes longer to get up to speed but once it does, is just as fast. The problem with reducing speed or power is that once the cars lose the ability to regain speed after lifting off of the throttle quickly, people dont want to lift! If you are running nose to tail in sportsman now and have to lift, it takes a couple laps to get back to the same speed and you lose a lot of ground. That is what is nice about GN, you can recover much quicker. Gearing, as I said is an idea to slow cars down so kudos for that. We just didnt have any luck with it.

Sonny,
I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were looking for a way to make the cars handle better and easier to drive, while helping slow the weight transfer under counter steer. I think weight and more than anything spoiler could help the drivability of the cars. I think instead, what your aiming at is slowing down the corner speed overall? If there is a feasable way to do so, that could be great! I think Brent may be onto something by having Todd make some hockey pucks to put on the RF! Im sure guys would find ways around it though!

Chance

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
It sure doesn't look like they are going to touch this topic. Either they are looking at an entirely different direction or they are going to continue with the current rules? I think it's the latter. Plus, those two have a way to pull racers into the hobby. I don't think anyone has helped increase membership more than those two over the last two seasons?! Must be the boyish charm they have?....LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
We have to be careful in changing the rules that would cause an increase in cost. One of the thoughts was the solid axle for sportsman, love the idea but cannot afford it everytime a touch the wall. You say don't touch the wall, but you know it keeps moving out in the way. Tires, thats self explanatory. If Todd has to design a new tire just for one class, he has to up the charge to make it profitable for his business.

It can be tried easily is the shorter spoiler but also raise the body height to create more drag. Change the clearance of the nose to cut the down force of the front to cause a driver to lift to get the car to turn.

Something cheap to try, instead of the sportsman airfilter cup, lets try the HPI Baja STOCK airfilter assembly. Should restrict some air flow without going to a different plate. The same could be used for the other classes.

Nobody will like this statement, but those running sportsman week end and out at the top of the leaderboard need to move up to GN. Not moving up can cause some people to get disgusted and quit.

Now that I have a few people smoking hot, I will lay another one out. We need to look at rules at the club level and only club level. What works at Freddies may not work at Dallas. If the majority of the racers at Freddies like the 10.5 truck plate thats fine but is Dallas likes the 8.5 that should be cool too. Sprints the same way too. For the NCS races, no, 10.5 truck/sprint reguardless. Just like the rules are written. The reason that I say that for the club level is because most racers will NOT run in a NCS even if its at their home track, much less travel.

Have a few other thoughts but I'll hold them for later. Gonna enjoy that warm feeling that I'll be getting.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Great post Daniel. :thumbsup:
We have to be careful in changing the rules that would cause an increase in cost. One of the thoughts was the solid axle for sportsman, love the idea but cannot afford it everytime a touch the wall. You say don't touch the wall, but you know it keeps moving out in the way. Tires, thats self explanatory. If Todd has to design a new tire just for one class, he has to up the charge to make it profitable for his business.

It can be tried easily is the shorter spoiler but also raise the body height to create more drag. Change the clearance of the nose to cut the down force of the front to cause a driver to lift to get the car to turn.

Something cheap to try, instead of the sportsman airfilter cup, lets try the HPI Baja STOCK airfilter assembly. Should restrict some air flow without going to a different plate. The same could be used for the other classes.

Nobody will like this statement, but those running sportsman week end and out at the top of the leaderboard need to move up to GN. Not moving up can cause some people to get disgusted and quit.

Now that I have a few people smoking hot, I will lay another one out. We need to look at rules at the club level and only club level. What works at Freddies may not work at Dallas. If the majority of the racers at Freddies like the 10.5 truck plate thats fine but is Dallas likes the 8.5 that should be cool too. Sprints the same way too. For the NCS races, no, 10.5 truck/sprint reguardless. Just like the rules are written. The reason that I say that for the club level is because most racers will NOT run in a NCS even if its at their home track, much less travel.

Have a few other thoughts but I'll hold them for later. Gonna enjoy that warm feeling that I'll be getting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
well here we go again, making changes to something that is not broke simply to get more racers to run the 10.5 plate and burn off the rr tire and someone make more money for the new parts needed for the upcoming changes. I have been in this hobby for 10 years and every time i turn around someone is trying to build that damn 10.5 plate up and try their best to get someone interested in running it. some years ago they fought over this very issue and finally went to a 9mm carb for gn class and the racers i know liked that idea and said it was a great set up for gn. along came several of the drivers that have been in this hobby for 20 plus years and refused to run that carb. they got the 10.5 back and almost everyone quit running gn class. shortly after that all the racers that raised all the hell over them needing the 10.5 guit running 1/4 scale and who knows where they are now. this constant changing things is what keeps people out of this hobby. changes cost money and I for one will not spend another damn dime for changes that are not necessary. we have what we need now in sportsman, truck and novice. If the few that are still running gn class wants to change anything, give them the biggest damn carb u can find and let them go at it. I for one have a garage with boxes of changed motor, changed carbs and everything else u can think of that is no good to anyone. just money wasted. I personally will not continue to pay for any more not needed changes. I will simply sell out and quit. I ran 1/10 scale for years and the reason i quit it was every time i turned around it was a motor change or a new battery on the market for 100.00 a pack. we have been losing racers this year like apples falling off the tree because of the economy and now we are talking about special spring rule, special tire rule, and other ideas that will not help any beginner learn about setting up the car so he can make it drive better. IF U WANT TO STOMP ON SOMEONE , STOMP ON THIS. SIMPLY LEAVE EVERYTHING ALONE/GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRACK, RACE AND HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING IT. NO OFFENCE BRENT, GET INTO YOUR CAMPER AND GO TO FLORIDA FOR A FEW DAYS AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Another great post!:thumbsup:
well here we go again, making changes to something that is not broke simply to get more racers to run the 10.5 plate and burn off the rr tire and someone make more money for the new parts needed for the upcoming changes. I have been in this hobby for 10 years and every time i turn around someone is trying to build that damn 10.5 plate up and try their best to get someone interested in running it. some years ago they fought over this very issue and finally went to a 9mm carb for gn class and the racers i know liked that idea and said it was a great set up for gn. along came several of the drivers that have been in this hobby for 20 plus years and refused to run that carb. they got the 10.5 back and almost everyone quit running gn class. shortly after that all the racers that raised all the hell over them needing the 10.5 guit running 1/4 scale and who knows where they are now. this constant changing things is what keeps people out of this hobby. changes cost money and I for one will not spend another damn dime for changes that are not necessary. we have what we need now in sportsman, truck and novice. If the few that are still running gn class wants to change anything, give them the biggest damn carb u can find and let them go at it. I for one have a garage with boxes of changed motor, changed carbs and everything else u can think of that is no good to anyone. just money wasted. I personally will not continue to pay for any more not needed changes. I will simply sell out and quit. I ran 1/10 scale for years and the reason i quit it was every time i turned around it was a motor change or a new battery on the market for 100.00 a pack. we have been losing racers this year like apples falling off the tree because of the economy and now we are talking about special spring rule, special tire rule, and other ideas that will not help any beginner learn about setting up the car so he can make it drive better. IF U WANT TO STOMP ON SOMEONE , STOMP ON THIS. SIMPLY LEAVE EVERYTHING ALONE/GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRACK, RACE AND HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING IT. NO OFFENCE BRENT, GET INTO YOUR CAMPER AND GO TO FLORIDA FOR A FEW DAYS AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I read this whole thread and let me tell you guys that from the outside looking in, this post makes the most sense.

I have seen more growth at LPR this year than in any year I can remember in recent past.

Don't mess with a good thing. What you guys have is working and working well.

If your local track needs a "beginner class" and you have a few racers to support it, follow LPR's lead. Create a Limited Sprtsman class. Run only the rookies in this class and reduce their laps. That way they do nto have to run the long mains and risk tearing things up. Most of all, encourage these guys, pump them up both in the pits and on the PA. DO NOT BELITTLE THEM ON THE PA. One of each of you local guys that is experienced should "adopt" one of the new guys for at least the race if not the season and help him out.

The absolute LAST THING that you guys need to do is make a whole bunch of classes. A wise man once said "Those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it"

:wave:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd like to see a 15mm on the Sprint class and a pit stop....! Maybe 2 40's! Will....I'm not talking Beverages either....LOL
You read my mind , that's the only change I would like to see , well except maybe a mandatory front wing rule . (whoever seen a winged sprint without a front wing ?)..........

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
LOL yall sound like a bunch of BABYS thank god for HT in the off season unlike most I think this whole thread is funny as hell and very entertaining to watch a few get worked up to this point

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Wow, yet another great post! Finally some common sense shines thru....:thumbsup:

I read this whole thread and let me tell you guys that from the outside looking in, this post makes the most sense.

I have seen more growth at LPR this year than in any year I can remember in recent past.

Don't mess with a good thing. What you guys have is working and working well.

If your local track needs a "beginner class" and you have a few racers to support it, follow LPR's lead. Create a Limited Sprtsman class. Run only the rookies in this class and reduce their laps. That way they do nto have to run the long mains and risk tearing things up. Most of all, encourage these guys, pump them up both in the pits and on the PA. DO NOT BELITTLE THEM ON THE PA. One of each of you local guys that is experienced should "adopt" one of the new guys for at least the race if not the season and help him out.

The absolute LAST THING that you guys need to do is make a whole bunch of classes. A wise man once said "Those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it"

:wave:

41 - 60 of 152 Posts