Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool.

I had two Le Cars back in the 80's.

They served me well.Lasted me a few years with little maintenance.

One I blew the motor in racing a yugo.

The other i used in an impromptu demolition derby in the parking lot of one of the local bars against a friend of mine who had a ford capri.

Didnt kill it,but it was the beginning of the end.The fenders were flapping in the breeze and I got tired of getting in through the passenger door and went on to buy a used VW Rabbit that I also loved.

30 years later and people still bring up the demo derby outside the old amber inn.

Ive been enjoying all the customs you have been posting.Nice work.

mike
That reminds me, I've got a Ford Capri buried somewhere on my desk I should get finishing. Can't decide if I want to go stock, convert it to an RS or convert it to a full-on Zakspeed replica though. :D

I've heard Renault imported a few of the R5 Turbo models to race in IMSA GTU. They're a pretty mean Le Car.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Very cool.

I had two Le Cars back in the 80's.

They served me well.Lasted me a few years with little maintenance.

One I blew the motor in racing a yugo.

The other i used in an impromptu demolition derby in the parking lot of one of the local bars against a friend of mine who had a ford capri.

30 years later and people still bring up the demo derby outside the old amber inn.

mike
Love it! Great story. A very fun memory I'm sure!!!

I bet they were fun to drive.
Did they handle well?

My 1st memory of them is going to a Buick dealer that sold them new.
My Dad opened the hood and I was shocked at how flimsy it was,
but at that time I was only used to big US cars and very stout '60s SAABs.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Love it! Great story. A very fun memory I'm sure!!!

I bet they were fun to drive.
Did they handle well?

My 1st memory of them is going to a Buick dealer that sold them new.
My Dad opened the hood and I was shocked at how flimsy it was,
but at that time I was only used to big US cars and very stout '60s SAABs.
Oh i'm loaded with stories.

Yeah they were fun to drive and they handled pretty well for what they were.I drove them all over gods creation playing in and going to see bands.Carried a hammond b3 organ in one of them over a pretty good distance.The front tires were barely on the ground.

My brother was a mechanic for an AMC dealer that also sold renaults.He knew them pretty well and cherry picked us a few good ones that came through the shop.

I remember they had a weird cooling system.Sealed or something strange.It was a pita to put collant in them if i remember right.

mike

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
A Hammond organ in the back of a Le` Car??? That's unbelievable!!!
My cousin was a master of the Hammond, so I know they were Hundreds of pounds.
wOw! :lol:

Did you have the Lesley cab too for THE sound?

·
Registered
190 Posts
A Hammond organ in the back of a Le` Car??? That's unbelievable!!!
My cousin was a master of the Hammond, so I know they were Hundreds of pounds.
wOw! :lol:

Did you have the Lesley cab too for THE sound?
Th Leslie 147 cabinet was in the back seat.It made a the other cars jealous.They turned into green eyed ladies. ( very few will get this)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ya got me. I'm just a drummer. Me hit things.

Interested in the explanation though for sure :thumbsup:
Green eyed Lady had a great Hammond B3 tone.Was that the explanation you were asking about? Well what do I know? i'm just a guitar player.LOL
Here's one for us guitar players and drummers.Jackson Brown.The mighty B3 does a cameo appearance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jealosy is sometimes said to be The Green Eyed Monster.My reference was to an old song with a Hammond B3 in it.I think you got it.
I know the song from reading about the Hammond organ; back when I played guitar a lot I always wanted to find a Leslie speaker to use in my guitar rig. Who says you can't make grindcore with progressive elements? :lol:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Th Leslie 147 cabinet was in the back seat.It made a the other cars jealous.They turned into green eyed ladies. ( very few will get this)
LOL....Actually I had to make another trip for the leslie.

It was a friend of mines,and I let him keep it in my rehearsal studios.

He never knew I opened it up and swapped the 12ax7 preamp tubes out with the ones in one of my marshall heads.

rental fee.

good times.

I played my guitar through it tho.

Wow what a sound.

If anyone cares what a leslie sounds like with a guitar plugged into it,listen to the solo jimmy page does in the led zep song "good times bad times" and their ya go.

sorry for the thread hijack.

Mike

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I can certainly do without Jackson Brown - except in Two Lane Blacktop :)

I've loved that Sugarloaf song since it was released.

Yip...that's what I was asking about :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts