Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited when I found out HW was making one! I have seen pictures none in person. How does it look? Dimensions look good? Chrome?

Thanks,
Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I was able to snag one and love having it simply because it is a casting that is not done very often, if at all, in 1:64. But it has the usual Hot Wheel BLVD faults - too much money for a car that isn't that well done/poorly detailed for the money.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep going back and looking at the pictures. The biggest thing I see wrong are the wheels. They are way too big, which makes the wheel openings too big and throws off the whole proportions of the car. I will still get at least one, just because it is what it is.

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Marty, I have that brochure too, plus the one on the big trucks from a couple of years before the Turbine car. My father worked for the dealership in OKC that got the Turbine before it went to the customer/tester in the city. Sorry, no pics of that.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my uncles' applied for the tester program. He was sure he was going to get it. Unfortunately he didn't.

I have seen several pictures and videos' of the one Jay Leno has. That is so kool that he drives it once in a while.

I just returned to the library a book on Chrysler Turbine cars. Not a lot of pictures and the driest, boring writing ever! I only read a couple chapters and returned it.

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Nice 1963 Chrysler Turbine Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Lively Set Turbine Car

I hope HW does the movie version of the car. It was featured in "The Lively Set'.

I know Jo-Han did a model kit (got it), promos' of both the stock and the movie version. There is a Non-such convertible 1/43 die cast out there too.

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I would get the Turbine if I found one. So far I've seen only first wave Boulevards in my area. Cool brochure. Reminds me of the huge collection of car brochures I had in my teens. I called up every carmaker under the sun and requested more info. In return I would get videos, DVD's and spiral bound books sent to my door, just for asking. With tighter advertising budgets, you don't see that anymore.

The thing about Hot Wheels, is they built they're reputation on being the iconic die cast toy car. Metal body, metal base, fancy paint and not much else. That's their schtick. And aside from the inclusion of Real Riders, that's essentially what the premium Hot Wheels are to this day. Which is why Mattel can get away with $4-5 for a solid hunk of metal with toy-like proportions and not much detail. They're die cast toys at adult collectible prices.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Makes me wish M2 got the license instead. The Buick concept LaSabre casting is an abortion. Both these cars would be way cooler with just a bit more detail.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
got lucky and found one saturday...hope to find at least one more.

maybe a hair too narrow, but i'll deal with it...a little detail painting will go a long way for this model:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the album cover from The Lively Set soundtrack.

It unfortunately doesn't have a picture of the real turbine car, just a futuristic drawing.

Now, for you younger people this is a vinyl Long PLay (LP) record. It spins on a record player at 33 1/3 rpms. A tone arm with a needle in it rests on the LP. Grooves in the LP vibrate the needle and sound comes out the speaker. When side 1 is finished, you must turn the LP over and start again.:wave:

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I dig it Marty! I'm a young guy, but I've done enough thinking for myself to know that analogue produces the best sound. I've had a little vinyl collection going for years. Some records from the 60's like the soundtrack to Valley of the Dolls, including the title track by The Arbors, which was never on the record, or in the movie.

Dean Martin, Herb Alpert, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils debut album, and some others. Now I just need to find some equipment to listen to them on one of these days! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Great brouchure, Marty!!!

I have a fairly large collection of dealer brouchures, but never even heard of one for the Turbine.
Thanks for the pix!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts