Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this has to be the best one I have done out of about 35. JL casting. 1968 Firebird 400. Man she looks sweet in person. Maybe some RRs now.:cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
Nice Firebird :thumbsup: I'm kinda looking or doing cars that haven't already been chromed or done in the Holiday Classics series. Here's one I recently did- Oh, I found this on the Pegs, is this a Variation? :D

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I'm speechless....wow.

I promise I will fall off my chair if you chrome up a 68 Barracuda, lose the hood and put a couple of nice black stripes down the middle with some meatballs on the side.

Keep them coming...they are awesome!

thank you. thank you. thank you.
H.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That looks NICE! Great work, and you chose the right car too! :lol: .
I guess I need to get on the ball and finish the modified 67 bird I am polishing up in order to "spectra flame" it. I finished the hood and engine and finished the first step on the body and base.
Porsche911gt3, I use heavy duty carburetor cleaner to strip the casting, but I suppose any paint solvent would work. I don't know if pine-sol works, but a friend of mine used to use oven cleaner on model cars. I use a Dremel tool and buffing attatchments with buffing compound. I polish in three steps. First, use tripoli compound, next white rouge and then jeweler's(red) rouge. The first step removes surface imperfections, the second and third steps produce a highly polished, shiny luster. I use felt wheels on smooth surfaces and cloth wheels on rough surfaces(like the base). It is a good idea to use separate wheels for different compounds and I prefer to clean the casting between steps(with rubbing alcohol, then dish soap and water and a toothbrush) to remove the compound before going on to the next step. If you get fingerprints on it, chrome polish works well to remove them. I have also heard that rubbing compound and elbow grease followed by chrome polish works too. Hope this helps. :wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts