Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of the holiday season I would like to propose that we share some of our special Christmas memories from years past that involve slot cars. I have a few and I will chime in as this thread fills up with some recollections of those special moments that transformed us in a way that we still recall those fond memories like they were yesterday, whether it was a year ago or 40 years ago. Whether it was wearing the print off the Sears Catalog pages that had all of the cool sets you fantasized about, or seeing your first race set under the tree, I think a lot our our lifelong journeys in this little hobby were started on a magic moment that started on a special Christmas morning.

Cue the mistletoe, egg nog, and Perry Como ...

·
Registered
716 Posts
!!!

I got one.It was Xmas of 81'.Mom gave me this photo on Thanksgiving and just a week before that i scored the Vette off ebay.Definately brings back the memories!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My favorite memory was going to the sears store. They had a Lionel pikes peak hillclimb track st up and if you smiled just right the sales people would let you make a few laps. I used to just stare in jaw dropped amazment at the slot cars and every year I told mom and Dad I want a " race car set" I finally got a tootsietoy corvair set and had nothing but problems that went back to the store and I got a Atlas F-1 type set that was just an oval. All my friends got the cool T-jet sets ot Strombecker sets. I finally got a Strombecker set when I was about 12. I used to sit on my bedroom floor with a controller in each hand thinking If I could do this for the rest of my life I know it would make me happy. Well that was 44 years ago. I guess I got my wish. I know have a large 1/24th vintage collection and 170 t-jets in my collection plus stuff I actually race. So I'm reliving a childhood dream .
Merry Christmas. I smell some thunder oil burning and it sure smells good.
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The last set I got at Christmas before my dad passed was a Tyco Trans Am barrel jump set,I played with it until dawn,if I knew my dad was not going to be there for next year I would have raced a little longer with him.Now I miss my father more,love you dad.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I remember going with my dad to the Western Auto store. There, high on a shelf was a Wide Track Aurora set. I would stand and dream about how cool that would be to race on. Sadly, one day we go in and the set is gone. I'm totaly bummed! Guess where it ended up? I still have the Lola GT that came in that set and I still race on Aurora Wide track.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
i was lucky enough at 6 or 7 to recieve a lional oval tran set and a strombecker figure eight.my older brothers got to my race set before i did,as i was playing with the trains with my dad.well,my big bros had teatowels wrapped around the controllers,they got so hot.sadly,by the next morning,i found holes melted in the casings of the controllers!before i even had a chance to run a single lap!they still worked,but i was choked at my bros!that set still lasted a few years however,and when i found a free box of afx stuff a couple years ago,it brought back some memories,that's for sure!can't wait til my boy is old enough for his first set!he is just now getting the picture that if ya squeeze the trigger it makes the car go round!takes him two hands,but he's getting the idea.one more way i can keep him away from an x box!nice moments to share,past or present!happy holidays,everyone!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I got one.It was Xmas of 81'.Mom gave me this photo on Thanksgiving and just a week before that i scored the Vette off ebay.Definately brings back the memories!!!:thumbsup:
ok, that's just six different kinds of awesome. :thumbsup:

--rick

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I got an Aurora racing set (vibrator) way back in 19XX ....... heck I can"t remember that far back. I remember one of the cars was a Corvette. I also remember that the packaging holding everything in was ascew. The wire on the power pack was not that fancy factory wrapped job. But , I was so excited about getting the race set I really didn't care. Found out later that my father and older brother were doing a "quality control" check on it.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
What was great back then was you could go to a variety of stores, Sears and Montgomery Wards seems to stand out, and would have a few sets setup in their "Toy Department". You could actually see these sets live and in action. :eek:

;) rr

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think my favorite store had to be Two Guys, they seemed to have the best slotcar selection around. I remember the last car I got from them with Christmas money from my grandmother. A gold Bachmann HO Stingray.

Now I need to find one again.

Dave

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I think my favorite store had to be Two Guys, they seemed to have the best slotcar selection around. I remember the last car I got from them with Christmas money from my grandmother. A gold Bachmann HO Stingray.

Now I need to find one again.

Dave
Dave,
I thought Two Guys was the best as well. Glass cases lined with slot cars, track and trains. Nothing like that exists today. There is a huge hobby store in Pa. that has a back wall filled with trains, but no department store has a hobby section like Two Guys (Great Eastern was close). I really miss them.

My addition started Christmas 1969. I got my first Aurora set. A Sterling Moss figure 8 set with a blue Tornado and white Maserati. That Maserati is the only car I ever owned which burned out an amature. But 1969 is when it all started and I still have every Aurora car I ever bought, and most look like they were bought yesterday.

I remember one Christmas a few years later when me and a couple friends got on our bicycles on Dec. 26th and headed to Two Guys; for me, it was to buy more cars. Considering it was probably about 8 miles to the store and we were only about 13, my parents were not pleased.

I can also remember going to Two Guys for the after Christmas sale when they would mark down excess AFX cars to $1.99 or less. This was in the early 1980s just before they closed up. The cars were all on paper cards and this is when I also got some Tuff Ones which were on AFX cards. They didn't have a lot of different models, but there you were looking into the large cardboard cases of cars.

Oh if I only had a time machine and could go back, find myself, and tell myself to spend all my money on those cars.

Joe

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Drag, we are from the same era! I too got the Tyco jump track set. Never thought Mum and Dad could afford the set back then and had drooled all over it at the toy shop. Xmas morning and out came this big box for me to open I could believe my luck when I discovered it was the set I had wanted. Thrashed those poor cars for weeks. Good times!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I remember going to toys r us and seeing the sets in plastic casesand the cars too and having to take a ticket that know kid could ever reach for and standing in line to pay for it and then standing in another line to get the car locked up in the caged area. Boy those were the days.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Eyes glazed,palms sweating,waiting to get to KB Toys to buy a "pit kit with magnatraction cars and tune up parts" then the terribly long ride home so I could open the precious case and begin running the wheels off my latest score.Ah yes,the good old days.
Kiwi,I remember thinking that if they could jump the barrels,then surely the can jump other stuff..right? ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank you Sears and Roger Penske

Mine started with the arrival of the Sears Christmas catalog around September of 1973. I was 11 years old. I opened it up to the slot car section and could not get over what a cool AFX four lane that was featured. It was the "Roger Penske Four Lane Raceway." The track had a split into 2 lanes and the cars featured something new called "Super Traction" a Sears exclusive.

The four AFX cars included in the set remain my favorites today. Two of the cars were Sunoco Porsche 510-Ks with different numbers 6 & 7, a black UOP Shadow and an orange "Auto World" McLaren. Each had little Super Traction stickers attached.

The night before Christmas I picked my 4 best 15" straights from my old AFX set and cleaned them up to perfection. My plan was to extend one end of the Penske and make it bigger. I could not hardly sleep that Christmas Eve.

Well Christmas morning arrived and I ran into the living room to see if I had received the set from Santa. Sure enough there it was! But I was very surprised....I just knew such a big set would be in a gigantic box but it was not. The Sears AFX box was about 2/3rds the size of an Aurora AFX box. I became concerned that there was no way everything could be in that box for a 4 lane.....But, it was.

The set was put together along with the 4 straights from my old set and was the neatest I had ever seen! Later that morning, my older sister and husband had a gift for me of 3 more AFX Sears Super Traction cars on blister packs. I then had 7 new cars and the first four lane in the neighborhood. It was a great Christmas!

I loved that set so much that I scored a mint replacement on Ebay about 5 years ago. Anytime I see a Shadow, orange McLaren or Blue Sunoco 510-Ks I get a little feel of that great Christmas 36 years ago!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it was 1974-75,First year for the magna -traction.My brother and I got our first set.just a simple figure 8 set with a blue dodge daytona and a orange and yellow gtx.The 2 extra cars we got were the r/c cola can am car and the l-m racing porsche i think.we[brother ,brother in law, cousins and dad ]ran hard all day .Between the track,the verti-bird and the g.i joe stuff it was cool,not to mention the models.Back then half the kids on the block got slot car sets,lot of good times durig christmas break with my buddies racing in the rec room in the basement,combining tracks and such,We had a record player down there and must have played convoy and crocodile rock a million times.then chiller theater then to bed.I truly believe that our generation is the last one to truly have good clean fun. Trains,electric football ,models,backyard ball,erector sets, tonkas.We were truly blessed to grow up under parents that made us use our imagination.I could go on and on.MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you.And God bless you all.
Matt

·
Registered
264 Posts
remember your first time....

I was 6 yrs old when my Dad brought home the 4 lane vibe set for Christmas in '62. He was so excited about it that he couldn't wait until Christmas morning to set it up. Here we were, 3 days before Christmas, racing vibes on the kitchen table until well past midnight. My two brothers raced against Dad and me. It didn't matter much who won, but I do remember many nights taking apart the track and making a new layout, then taking apart the cars to try and make them go faster. We would all make weekly trips to Russ's Blasdell Hobby Shop, Field's Hobby or Two Guys to load up on cars and parts. When Thunderjets came out in '63, we had already built a large track in the basement on two 4'x8' tables in an "L" shape. It was the center of the neighborhood. Kids of all ages came to race. That year, I remember getting calls from 5 or 6 friends on Christmas morning telling me they got Tjets for Christmas and could they come over right now and race! Saturday afternoons were full of racing, friendship and fun. My grandmother even got into the act with one or two laps then went off to the kitchen to make homemade pizza for everyone.:thumbsup: Every Christmas until about '72 or '73, Santa brought more slot car stuff.
Racing slot cars is the best memory of my youth. It was a glorious time. Young, eager and happy kids building, tuning and racing little cars for hours. Now that I'm older, I guess it hasn't changed very much. I'm just an older, eager and happy kid racing little cars for hours in my basement. And I can't wait for this Christmas to see if Santa will bring me any slot cars...:tongue:
-Joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
My first slot set was in 58 or 59, I was 7 or 8 and it was an American Flyer set. The cars used magnets not guide pins to stay on the tracks. I set it up and than set up my lionel trains around the slots. It was great running both together. I don't even remember how well the cars ran but I still remember that Christmas.
A few years later a friend got a vib set for christmas and broke one of the cars a few days later. He lost interest in the set and gave it to me. Only had one car but I race that ford station wagon for hours. Best after christmas gift ever.
Still have that car and many Tjets were added.
I too used to go to Two Guys in NJ. Went in one day and they had all their Tjets in a box for .68 cents each. The new AFX line had come out and they were closing out old stock. I was low cash ( starting a new family) but I did get a torino, charger,el camio and a few others. Still have those too.
Merry Christmas to all and happy slotting :tongue:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts