Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,155 Posts
The thing about living near NYC all your life, is that you know how much it sucks to go there. I'll sit this one out. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Received my auction catalog

Received my auction catalog this week and well worth the $90. What you get is a well documented, photographed and, from my cursory glance, and accurate account of nearly all the ST props used in the last 40 years. If you have Star Wars Chrnonicles (IV-VI), and/or the Art of Star Trek ...I can tell you the photo documentation on this one is much, much better -if not sparse.

What is for sale is astounding. In summation -all of it.

1. The STNG E-D six-footer
2. The STMP through ST VI Enterprise filming model (not the "hobby kit") but the real deal that we've been pouring over these last 30 years.
3. The E-E
4. The STMP Klingon Cruiser
5. The Bird of Prey
6. STNG Romulan Warbird
7. The Ferengi Ship
8. The Voyager

I'm still a bit disoriented at all the stuff up for grabs. If I were single; I'd set aside $20,000 for something, anything at all. A small price for a piece of something so familiar to me and part of my hobby, life, day dreams. Things that made me pick my profession today, my studies, my career. I'm sure none of the things I would have wanted would have come in under $20K, but it sure wouldn't have hurt to try.

I'm looking at Captain's chairs from STNG through VOY and Enterprise. Unbelievable that these are on sale. Yes, I know in many instances some of these are spares, but yet there are screen used and canon...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Some of the stuff is pretty "obtainable" relatively. How about the box of isolinear chips in the protective case.

What I'd really like to get is the STVI/V hero phaser with the ID badge affixed to the magazine butt plate. Not offered in this auction.

I truly wonder who will get the 6-foot E-D and the 8-foot STMP E? Hopefully someone who will display it like the Seattle Sci-Fi museum I pray.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,155 Posts
Guy at work offered me his tickets since he can't make it. It would still require me actually going into NYC, though, so - nah.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My friend had harassed, and harassed me to go to NYC over and over and over again for the length of our friendship -so I finally went with the wife one time and rolled it into a visit with her friend from college as well. Not again.

Sure, it's great if you have a flat somewhere in Manhatten and unlimited cab money. But it's like pulling teeth to go anywhere like the rest of us in the states know it. There's a lot of good things to see, eat, take in and experience. But so do a handful of other cities in the world (and I've been around the world about three times now) without all the hassle and emminent fear of being killed (...and I've just finished three-years of living in Shreveport, LA)!.

So, great city but not "...the f'ingest greatest place on Earth" as my NYC native buddy calls it.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,155 Posts
How much does a hamburger cost in NYC these days?

My friend and I used to go to Creation Cons there. I seem to remember $3 for the bridge toll, $18 for 3 hours of parking, and $20 admission. I think the toll is double that now, and god knows what parking costs these days!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I hear you. I've never met a NY'er that hasn't thought that NYC isn't the end all-be all greatest f'ing place to live in the entire world....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thats why man built Chicago, Americas only true great city. However, it still is a city. Me and a friend paid 20 bucks to be parked in with about 15 other cars into a tiny alley. Of course, the only way to get out was to wait for everyone else around you to pull out first, so we ended up sitting and waiting in our car for about an hour.

Josh

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
There's something vaguely unseemly about this auction. But I know that the prices they afford mean they will go into the hands of collectors to be kept relatively safe. I just hope some of the more important stuff end up in museums or on public display. The worst is when they just disappear. I assume some of this stuff will be won anonymously and won't be seen again for awhile. I hope it's not the ship models.

I'm still ticked that they scrap so much of the sets. They could have easily sold large portions of them.

·
Starship Class
11,653 Posts
I like to stay out of big cities--they're like surface ships to a submariner: big targets.

Would be cool to own a piece of history and those are fantastic models to behold. I hope they make it to public display as well. Will the Smithsonian be bidding on any?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I figger most of the models will end up in Paul Allen's museum in Seattle. Probably a good portion of the props, uniforms and set pieces, too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm curious about the "iconic" ships; STMP E, 6-foot E-D, Excelsior, Voyager, Bird of Prey, Defiant, DS9, E-E, Borg Cube, E-C even...

Boogles my mind where these could end up, and also raises my hopes that Paul Allen may display at least the STMP E and the STNG 6-footer....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
History.com is going to show the auctions on it's site. I think, on Oct. 5 starting at 10am. I don't know if these times or right or how they're being shown. All I can find at the site right now is the ad talking about it in flash format. I hope it's not WMP streaming because my media player isn't currently working with streams for some reason.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to NY isn't all that difficult. I visit friends there all the time.

It is a great place to visit, but I NEVER would live there.
Aside from not being a good place to raise kids, it WILL get blown off the face of the earth sooner or later. We missed 9-11 by less than a week. Thats close enough for me.

If I wasn't working on Saturday, I'd be in a car right now driving from Detroit.

Hopefully someone will take pictures.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Started watching the video stream at the beginning of the auction. First item up for bid: TNG Costume/Costumers notebook.. $1200. Second Item, TNG Set Sketches... $1500.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Anybody see what the Enterprise-E (Lot#107) studio model went for?

I was busy and called away just before that lot came up and missed it. I'll try to catch the repeat again, tonight.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Saw on another board that it went for 110,000, Picard's Ent-E chair for 52k, something else for 80k....trying to remember....oh yeah, Borg Cube from First Contact.

I've been watching. Some things went for reasonable prices, some for reasonably high ones, and a few were almost steals, depending on how you looked at it. Some NX-01 set pieces, especially bridge pieces went for very reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts