Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am up at the Chicago show and I am disappointed that not one Oval manufacture is set up at the show. Except AE and they don't have on Oval car on display. How will this class survive if it is not supported by the manufactures :confused:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
the chicago show cost alot of money to have a booth.. most oval companies are on to small of a scale, to have this cost in the budget...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure that it is very expensive but there are a few of those same small companies up here pushing their products. I guess this is the same reason that Oval cars are not in the magazines. I am not complaining I would just like to see them promote the hobby.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Keep an eye on rc driver.. i know one of the guys who works for them.. he has been pushing oval alot with them, and there has been oval in a bunch of issues this year...

the chicago show has had a lack of interest for a few years.. i had heard new ownership this year may help... buyt i think message boards and word of mouth, help more then these shows.. these boards hit every area.. the chicago show is only a few areas of people who may attend... i agree more promotion is needed, but i thuink tracks need to do it the most...they dont push what they dont run.. if they offered oval, it would be bigger...

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
This part of the racing industry has been pushed under the rug for over 10 years! Everybody wants a monster truck or anything that is RTR. The main reason why is that the R/C mags only cover the RTR and trucks. I'm always amazed when people come buy and see oval racing for the first time thay have no idea that it exists. Most of the younger generation has been used to Playstation and stuff like that that requires you to only push a button and you are off and running/playing!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe what oval racing misses is an RTR combo much like ANY other form of rc racing. Also it's the only form of racing that uses 4cell configuration. It's not everyone who can pay a 300$ charger, a 400$+ car, etc.

Stephane Courchesne

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RC oval racing and advertising just don't seem to mix. The only place you will see Oval advertisement is on the Internet. The major magazines are not going to beg for material. they have plenty of it given to them.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Rupert said:
I am up at the Chicago show and I am disappointed that not one Oval manufacture is set up at the show. Except AE and they don't have on Oval car on display. How will this class survive if it is not supported by the manufactures :confused:
Rupert -- Protoform was there with their new Dodge R/T oval body :)

Looks sweet !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did see the body and it is very good looking. I would just like to have seen Hyperdrive, KSG, Maveric or someone at the show. I know its big dollars but their were several small companies at the show and I bet it will pay off for them.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
There are a ton of problems in oval that are holding it back.First, it's too complicated for the younger generation,it's perceived as too expensive(falsehood to a degree),it takes too long to get up and running competively,thus ruining the fun factor.There are a lot of other problems also but these are the main ones.

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Pictures from show

I thought the show was a little smaller than last years... and some manufactures did not even bother to show up... such as Hardcore, Integy and others... (not that they reflect Oval directly)... as a whole, it was a good show and nice to see and talk with some top people.
Pictures and story coming soon at: www.steelcityhobbies.com.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I thought the show was a little smaller than last years... and some manufactures did not even bother to show up... such as Hardcore, Integy and others... (not that they reflect Oval directly)... as a whole, it was a good show and nice to see and talk with some top people.
Pictures and story coming soon at: www.steelcityhobbies.com.
:thumbsup:
I know Hardcore was in Vegas the week before, maybe they thought their "show" budget would be better spent on Vegas than Chicago. I also heard that the Vegas show was a true "hobby" show and very little RC.............

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I just got back from Chicago as well and yes this years show was alot smaller than in years past. I talked to several of the smaller companies who said they wished they had saved the money and not came. That show is mainly a contact situation for companies from several countries to get to gether and make deals. For some reason it always collects a very diverse crowd. Plus once the doors open to the general public and not just shop owners and distributors most of what the crowds want to pay attention to is the toy/back yard basher. Oval doesn't fit that much and many companies i know set there hard core racing products aside... even the stuff for on-road and off-road.... to cater to the backyard guys.

Billy @ Bandit

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Billy,

That makes since. This was my first trade show which one is the best to attend? I made a few good contacts at this one but I don't think it was worth all money. I did enjoy the trip.

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
RC reaching its plateau? ...again?

Makes you wonder if the RC “sport” has reached its plateau? And now the beginnings to the start of the downward spiral? There are so many new manufactures, manufacturers for parts, and even shops and tracks popping up. With communication these days it seems that RC has grown tremendously since the last “wave” of RC goers. Last year at this time I had thought that the industry was in an up-cycle trend for at least a few more years, but now who knows. I do not think I it will slow down as much as it has in the past from the sheer fact of the access of media, such as forums such as HobbyTalk, RC Tech and the Internet, etc. Who knows… who knows... :wave:

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
This (Chicago) is one of the biggest R/C shows of the year... why would any sound manufacture opt not to show up? I almost went to Vegas myself.... made the right choice from what it sounds like. I heard it (Vegas) was a complete R/C flop. Strange because last year when I heard there was going to be a Vegas show... I thought it would kill the Chicago show in a matter of 5 years. From going to trade shows in Vegas, that is the place for any large Expo... but the R/C Expo is not all that large compared to many other industries. And there is a reason why the show is in Chicago... I'm sure someone will chime in here. :)

highster said:
I know Hardcore was in Vegas the week before, maybe they thought their "show" budget would be better spent on Vegas than Chicago. I also heard that the Vegas show was a true "hobby" show and very little RC.............

·
Registered
789 Posts
This (Chicago) is one of the biggest R/C shows of the year... why would any sound manufacture opt not to show up? I almost went to Vegas myself.... made the right choice from what it sounds like. I heard it (Vegas) was a complete R/C flop. Strange because last year when I heard there was going to be a Vegas show... I thought it would kill the Chicago show in a matter of 5 years. From going to trade shows in Vegas, that is the place for any large Expo... but the R/C Expo is not all that large compared to many other industries. And there is a reason why the show is in Chicago... I'm sure someone will chime in here. :)
I have my own thought of way the R/C show is in chicago, first and foremost I always thought there had to be a HUGE investment from Great Planes.

As for a big time R/C show in Vegas, I think the persons I know that went summed it up best, they told me "Vegas, the adult playland that nobody wants in their backyard." I feel that R/C and R/C racing is still a very family type hobby. I wonder if this some of the reason that the big R/C shows stay away from Vegas?????

And I must agree, as compared to any other industry that hosts expos, R/C is rain drop in an ocean......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts