Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a cautionary note: Maisto tire material seems to react with certain wood surface finishes. I'm having cars stick to wood shelving and table tops leaving irreparable surface damage. I like to display cars on nicely-grained vintage wood furniture, but must rethink the Maistos. I love the softness of Maisto tires and their period-correct piecrust slicks are incomparable, but I'm kinda scared of 'em at this point.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is it the problem the rubber tires or is it the wood shelving?
Wood off-gasses and for that reason it is very bad to display redlines in a wood display case due to the toning the gas causes.
I have also heard of some rubber tires {don't remember if they were Hot Wheels or JL's} melting the plastic display cases they were sitting in.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know I pulled a Porsche out of one of the Hot Wheels premium clamshells and stuck it on a windowsill (ceramic), and within a few days the "real rider" tires melted. Weird.

·
Banned
3,878 Posts
Yeah I was reading the OLD topics today

I've noticed this as well, greenlight tires will leave surface damage to some woods too. rubber tires also leave marks on acrylic cases. don't know why though.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I have had some of my Kyosho's kind of stick to wood a little.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I posted a few months back about the rubber band on the HWs 100% have a reaction to the paint on the cars .so if you have any with the bands still on get them off.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think it may also have to do with the environment. I have cars of all brands that have been sitting in wooden display cases and plastic Carney cases for a few years and have had no issues with tires (plastic or rubber) melting so far. All my cases are away from the windows and keep out of the sun.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've had the same problem..........
I was thinking it was the "Rubber/Plastic Tires" or whatever the tires are made from of the Diecast RE-ACTING" with the "Furniture Polish" I use on the Surfaces where the Diecast Sit......

..."Take Care My Friend's"...
...."Skip".....................

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I have my stuff in my house but yet still had issues with the bands.i never would have check them but it was posted and I forget by who on how much damage those bands can do if left on.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Ive had lots of brands of cars with 'rubber' tires , have melted themselves into plastic display cases . Doesnt seem to hurt the tires , but leaves depressions in the plastic base of the cases . I put paper / thin cardboard under those cars now .. No problems then .. I havent put any cars on wood surfaces for long periods of time , so dont have an answer for that issue ..

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I use a 1½" X 2" Sticky Note under any car atop a plastic display case - it's just the right size for 1:64 scale. For larger scales, just cut to fit... :thumbsup:

:wave:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It's not the wood, it's what the wood is varnished or sealed with. I've had cars sit on raw wood for years with nothing happening. But keep them on some treated wood and something happens. You might consider getting thin strips of glass cut to size to protect the wood &/or tires... should keep any chemical interaction from happening. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts