Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to get the legend cars to move to 17.5 1C racing, and they are looking for a cheap charger that will charge 1C packs. What we are looking at is doing the following....

17.5 Novak
Havoc Speedo
SMC 1C 4000 25C
Roll out rule (so if you use small tires you can still be fast, unlike the current legends rules).

This will get them to a place where they can take there electronics and move right up into the TOUR 17.5 pan car class.

Let me know if you guys have tested any chargers for around 50 bucks. AC/DC would be a plus, but I am sure they can deal with DC only.

Thanks
Joel White

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
We are trying to get the legend cars to move to 17.5 1C racing, and they are looking for a cheap charger that will charge 1C packs. What we are looking at is doing the following....

17.5 Novak
Havoc Speedo
SMC 1C 4000 25C
Roll out rule (so if you use small tires you can still be fast, unlike the current legends rules).

This will get them to a place where they can take there electronics and move right up into the TOUR 17.5 pan car class.

Let me know if you guys have tested any chargers for around 50 bucks. AC/DC would be a plus, but I am sure they can deal with DC only.

Thanks
Joel White

I may have something, shoot me an email

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Have you tried something like a Thunder power 425? I have a similar charger, the apache 2500. Works fine, but the low priced chargers do seem limited on amps. Might not be an issue with the Legends on a 17.5 as they wont come close to pulling the battery all the way down.

I use my apache to charge my RX packs. Works fine for that.

John

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did look at the TP 535C. The 535 can go up to 3.5 amps, the 425 ont goes to 2.5 amps.

I am also looking at the DuraTrax Onyx 230 AC/DC Advanced Charger w/LCD. That one is like 80 bucks, but it is an AC/DC charger and can charge up to 7 amps.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the looks of that xheli one. Thanks for the info. I think this is really going to help the legend guys that run at Rosewood. They seem to be pretty excited about the thought of running lipo and brushless. Last year they ran 4 cell 4600's.....That was WAY to fast!

Now to figure out the gearing for them....Anyone run 17.5 1C yet on a 150' track?

·
Registered
729 Posts
thunderpower 610c charges any battery ajustable all the way up to ten amps lefthander has them for 100.00

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Check out :

HobbyTalk Business Direct forum...

company called rcmart..based in Hong Kong, got a web site
takes Paypal
has a good selection of LiPo chargers ..w/ pretty good prices, reasonable shipping, and excellent eBay rating
i got a 3 cell lipo from hong kong, it was 17.99, took 1 1/2 months to get to me, im impatient, when i comes to waiting for parts, felt like a freakin year!!! never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hi andy.......:wave:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cory-

Is that a 17.5? The only issue we have seen is if you stick to 48 pitch you will really only be able to get around a 4.0 rollout. Our pan car guys are around 4.50. I dont think that will be to low though and over cook the motor.

Keep me updated on how that thing runs

Joel White

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
yeah, it's a 17.5 legend. we're not expecting this class to take off but i kind of like these cars and if the car count is low we're just gonna put them in our breakout class where we'll be running just about anything, just locking in a 4.0 lap time.

i already switched mine over to 64 pitch. if the class were to go anywhere i was thinking of locking it into a 76 tooth spur and pick out maybe 6 different pinions for the racers to decide which one is best. of course i was going to run it for a few weeks to narrow the pinion sizes down but in the end find the right gear, go 2 up and 2 down plus the one in the middle (6 gears). of course that would only work if the motors were limited along with the speedo. i was also thinking of leaving the tire rule open rather than locking into spec tires. the cost isn't too different i don't think plus the legend racers can accept hand me down tires from the pan car guys.

i think if you go with a roll-our rule you're gonna kill yourself with teching.

hope this helps a little.

here's some finished pics of my legend... there's nothing legal about it so don't go by it to much LOL, i'm almost certain i'll be running it in the breakout class. i modified the front end to use pan car springs and shims,associated steering block, titanium turnbuckles, and 1/8 pan car axles. in the rear i put in a pan car axle, lightweight hubs, 64 pitch gears, and bearings all the way around... oh, and a big ass wing on the trunk lid (for looks purposes of course) yeah, i had a lot of time on my hands when i did that LOL.
View attachment 90420
View attachment 90421

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guys I just want to make you aware. I have that EXACT same charger and does basically everything I need. It has a TON OF FEATURES. I have been using the charger for about 6 mos. now and it runs like a champ and even charges 1S LiPos past 4.22 volts!!

HOWEVER.... TRINITY IS RIPPING any customer off who purchases their charger. "Let's just put our logo on it and mark it up $120+ ..... but they should also figure that some of us "Web Diggers" would eventually find it out there at a REASONABLE COST!!!

Check it out guys, YOU WANT A DEAL AT A GREAT COST and ooh BTW they have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! Quick shipping too!!

hobbypartz {dot} com

(Its called the THUNDER AC6 Smart 5-in-1 Balance Charger

-Concerned Buyer :(

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Guys I just want to make you aware. I have that EXACT same charger and does basically everything I need. It has a TON OF FEATURES. I have been using the charger for about 6 mos. now and it runs like a champ and even charges 1S LiPos past 4.22 volts!!

HOWEVER.... TRINITY IS RIPPING any customer off who purchases their charger. "Let's just put our logo on it and mark it up $120+ ..... but they should also figure that some of us "Web Diggers" would eventually find it out there at a REASONABLE COST!!!

Check it out guys, YOU WANT A DEAL AT A GREAT COST and ooh BTW they have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! Quick shipping too!!

hobbypartz {dot} com

No need to be concerned, it's just called capitalism... only problem for them is you're a smart consumer and now you helped us out.

How long does it take to charge a 1s battery with this thing? Did you get the software working? I need a second charger and this thing is extremely affordable.

Bill

·
Registered
683 Posts

hobbypartz {dot} com

Have you used any of their servo's for oval racing, sure would be nice if they would work

·
Registered
19 Posts
No need to be concerned, it's just called capitalism... only problem for them is you're a smart consumer and now you helped us out.

How long does it take to charge a 1s battery with this thing? Did you get the software working? I need a second charger and this thing is extremely affordable.

Bill
Bill,

A one Cell 50c/100C 5000mah ThunderPower Battery that I currently use takes 27 minutes for a full 4.22 charge. Yes, I got the software working, and is very simple to read and understand.

-Chad

·
Registered
817 Posts

I would not recommend this charger to any one based on the fact that it overcharges 1 cell lipos, mine goes to 4.28 sometimes, I've used it in the balance mode on 2 and 3 cells and it's ok so I kept it for tx and rx packs but I can't get it to stop at 4.22 and at our track we are checking that rather closely. Besides the fact that repeated overcharging does some harm. :dude:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts