Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, something I've noticed is that a lot of guys have no clue how and where there tracking is set. They worry about tweak, tire compounds, spacers to the .001" but if you ask how there wheels align with each other they look like you are an alien. (Well I just might be...)

I've done a quick drawing to show what I'm talking about, and would like some input as to how and what effects these may cause.

A) all both sides align with a straight edge, and widths are the same on the outside front and rear.

B) the RR tire is pulled IN from the edge line and the LF is pushed in

C) the LR is pushed in and the RF is pulled in

D) front tracking is centered but narrower than rear

E) rear tracking is centered but narrower than front

HOW do you set up YOUR car...on WHAT Type of track..and WHY?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
generaly I start with lf front and lf rear equal from center point of chassis out and have rr sticking out from the right front no more than 1/4 inch as a starting point for me anyways, I usualy play with the lft rear spacing to gain anything further, push or turn. then move onto to tweak/weights etc.. good thread though, like to see what others have to say aswell.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've seen people run cars with a very narrow front end at our Velodrome (D) and they drove horribly. The car just wasn't stable in the front. I've personally run a car with a narrower rear end (E) and the front was stable, but the rear was all over the place.

On flat carpet oval I normally run a setup close to (C) except that the outside of the left wheels are even. That always seems to be a good starting point on flat carpet oval.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I start off by running my car square.

For a fine tuning adjustment to gain MORE steering :

Going into the turn - move right front IN or move right rear OUT.

Exiting the corner - move Left front OUT or move left rear IN. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Most of the newer chassis ( HyperDrive,KSG,CustomWorks etc ) have plates/slugs that allow you to move the lower a-arm mounting point in or out.

I normaly start my car out closest to figure A with left sides even and the right front slightly in on both foam and cap tires, asphalt, concrete and carpet surfaces banked or flat.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmm 260+ views, but only 7 responses...I'm kind of suprised...

Too add to this question, what about Wheel Base L vs. R

Left Long - Right Short - WHAT EFFECT (Since we have a lot of fairly NEW people, describe the effects in as simple terms as possible)

I know when I test 'stuff' I kinda like to do it in an EXTREME way. I set up a KSG Gen 1 car with (OK, so I'm crazy) -.200" on the RF side (Right side shorter by 200/1000ths of on inch) ALL I can say is Whoa, I've never had a FLAT TRACK car corner so fast....with so LITTLE Scrub and steering ...but heavin help you if you get into trouble, unless you have radio w/ the 'SAVE ME' button like the 3pk.

For the past 2 weekends I've used this set up on our local flat asphalt 4 corner (INDY STYLE) oval track. Running LESS steering than I run on my VELODROME CAR. (You VELO racers will KNOW what that's like)

My son drove it today to TQ and WIN in STOCK and said he was amazed at how much faster this thing was in the corners vs. on previous races w/o this geometry.

WHAT DO You do?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Joe39 said:
A bit off topic..., but what is the 'SAVE ME' button on the 3PK?

Thanks,
Joe
It gives you full steering at the touch of a button,it is a must have option for oval racing.I'm running "C" on a banked asphalt oval,car gets in and rotates good from the center off.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I set up generally like Kenny k said, but I dont pay much attention to the "rules" a lot of drivers get hung up on concerning tracking. I try to just adjust by feel, or what the car feels like it wants, and dont get too caught up in the measurements. At the end of the day I'll record what worked and improve on that next outing.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Info...this is the type of stuff NEW guys need to see and hear.

DON'T BE AFRAID to TRY THINGS - All drivers are different and may like a little different setup.

I had never really paid attention to where the tire alignment was, etc. I would adjust to feel and never really documented THAT part of the setup, and when I would tear car down...I'd start with all the tires square again and fight with it...so I started watching mine and others. I still SUCK after all these years, but I have fun trying unorthodox stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
i never thought about that too.. i just thought you make sure you dont stick your tires out your body, and dont rub to the inner pod. hahaha.. errr... *bangs head*

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I usually start with "D" and adjust the rear tires in and out for the track. Usually just moving the left rear. As far as wheelbase, I've never had a car that you could move it just a little bit. Rear steer is a way to lead with the right front. It would only move it thousandths at a time.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
running the left or right shorter then the other side is called leading.. this affects how the car enters or exits the turn..

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I understand your question correctly ovalnewb21 . If your left rear is sucked in more it will free your car up coming out of the corner . Sucking in the right rear gives me a more aggressive turn in to the corner . Tires straight up tends to make the car easy to drive but can srub alot of corner speed on carpet .

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I think you're talking abut two different things? ovalneb is asking about the diffrent wheelbases on each side? darkness you're talking about rear wheel width?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts