Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wondered if there would be any interest in a clear chassis casting? Why I ask is because years ago when I worked for Tyco in Mt.Laurel NJ I had some clear injection molded 440x2 wide and narrow chassis bodies molded for me in Tyco HK. Just a dozen of each to do some test and for engineering study . I had a couple of each left later and while at a show in Richfield I saw some interest . Now granted they would not be perfectly crystal clear and you would not be able to run them for hours because of the heat ,but they would display well and also we could make them in translucent clear colors too. I'm thinking $10 price tag . What do you think ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see you back! How´s the impact durability on clear verses regular castings?
Other than that, I like not having to deal with a separate windshield.

There is really no difference in the spec's of clear vs. regular resin in fact the clear is stronger in some cases because clear is pure polyurethane and when you add pigments to regular resin you do lose some strength.

But what do you feel about the chassis idea?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
There is really no difference in the spec's of clear vs. regular resin in fact the clear is stronger in some cases because clear is pure polyurethane and when you add pigments to regular resin you do lose some strength.

But what do you feel about the chassis idea?
Hey Bruce ,
i recall you and i talking about some of this a few years back although if i recall it was casting just the top plates ? Tjet and or AFX as they would be relatively simple detail wise. I think however we only discussed other castable materials and not the clears. I actually like the clear look so i would say yes to a chassis but also hey why not do the easier tjet and AFX top plates in addition ? Would look very cool for sure and i know i would love to get a batch !

Bear / Dennis :wave:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a crystal clear Jeep prototype, as well as a neon blasters camaro and Peterbilt semi. So Id have some interest in clear chassis frames, theyd look sick with those bodies. BUT, Id be a lot more interested in a clear HP-7. I dont do much with wide 440 X2s. But I think if you had clear bodies with the clear chassis frames you could hawk some 'ghost' cars pretty easily. Id think it was cool, and grab a few.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have a crystal clear Jeep prototype, as well as a neon blasters camaro and Peterbilt semi. So Id have some interest in clear chassis frames, theyd look sick with those bodies. BUT, Id be a lot more interested in a clear HP-7. I dont do much with wide 440 X2s. But I think if you had clear bodies with the clear chassis frames you could hawk some 'ghost' cars pretty easily. Id think it was cool, and grab a few.
Humm..... ya why not ! Clear bodies and clear chassis for the 440's as well. Could do some clear bodies and clear plates for the old AFX mags and nons and tjets too. Heck any chassis or chassis parts that have no major electrices to move around !

Bear :wave:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I just thought of something, Bruce. How about casting up some of the body mount/front wheel pieces from the wheelie cars? You mentioned a while back that you had the capability of casting white metal, so you could do the weights too. If you could rig up a swb and a lwb version then there could be wheelstanders galore! I know for a fact that with just a little modding it would work on the VW peace bus, super gremlin, and the trick truck. See where Im going with this?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just thought of something, Bruce. How about casting up some of the body mount/front wheel pieces from the wheelie cars? You mentioned a while back that you had the capability of casting white metal, so you could do the weights too. If you could rig up a swb and a lwb version then there could be wheelstanders galore! I know for a fact that with just a little modding it would work on the VW peace bus, super gremlin, and the trick truck. See where Im going with this?
Worth a try do you have the parts to mold?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
where the clear idea came from

Tell you guys where the clear idea came from . About 20 years ago I use to make Lionel train repro parts for a friend. I was making small plastic and metal parts to the large engine shells . Well one day a friend in Florida asked me to cast a clear F-3 engine shell for him to see how it would look . Not sure if this would mess up my mold I said if I do it and it does this will cost more then a shell he'd have to replace the mold . He said it would be worth it so do it . Well,I was on ebay the other day and what do you think I saw ? Well, there was a Lionel F-3 Clear Diesel shell on a chassis selling for $ 4,000.00 with 1 bid . Funny how much a $15 shell appreciates . Looked neat with the chassis showing through and it reminded me of the chassis I had molded . I will when I get time mold some of these chassis and we'll see who's interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Tell you guys where the clear idea came from . About 20 years ago I use to make Lionel train repro parts for a friend. I was making small plastic and metal parts to the large engine shells . Well one day a friend in Florida asked me to cast a clear F-3 engine shell for him to see how it would look . Not sure if this would mess up my mold I said if I do it and it does this will cost more then a shell he'd have to replace the mold . He said it would be worth it so do it . Well,I was on ebay the other day and what do you think I saw ? Well, there was a Lionel F-3 Clear Diesel shell on a chassis selling for $ 4,000.00 with 1 bid . Funny how much a $15 shell appreciates . Looked neat with the chassis showing through and it reminded me of the chassis I had molded . I will when I get time mold some of these chassis and we'll see who's interested.
Bruce very cool look ! How wild would that look with a string of some internal LEDS lighting it up while rolling along in the dark kinda like running lights ? Wonder too if a clear shell like this could be done but.... find a way to create panels ( incerts ) that would allow for solid or translucent sections like roofs or side panels etc. Could make for some real wild and cool new looks . Just thinking aloud and believe me i know i have a strange way of thinking LOL !

Bear :wave:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Clear chassis with a clear body, one word COOL. I would get a few.

BTW, did you ever get into the chance to see if a repo of a 'C' Cab like the Paddy Wagon could be done?

Dave :wave:

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Bruce, Do not hesitate to do a t-jet chassis in clear. Getting the electrics fixed on one is not a big problem for a modeler. Same for the AFX and others. I also heard someone ask for the parts to make the wheelie cars. That is a good idea. Wouldn't have to cast the weights as we used to use pennies. We constantly lost the weights and pennies worked good and were cheaper than buying new weights. I also would like to see you pop some of the AFX dragster front end chassis extensions. Glad to see you are back!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bruce, Do not hesitate to do a t-jet chassis in clear. Getting the electrics fixed on one is not a big problem for a modeler. Same for the AFX and others. I also heard someone ask for the parts to make the wheelie cars. That is a good idea. Wouldn't have to cast the weights as we used to use pennies. We constantly lost the weights and pennies worked good and were cheaper than buying new weights. I also would like to see you pop some of the AFX dragster front end chassis extensions. Glad to see you are back!
I think we have the wheelie front ends taken care of for a master so we're good there . I like the idea for the front end of the dragster . Question who has a front end to use for mold and what color would that be best molded in . FYI - for the use of the front end You get your piece back unharmed and 3 castings for using it . Let me know and I'll send my mailing info . 2010 is going to be a big year for new stuff and I'm looking for all the neat stuff you guys love to build on !!! Happy New Year !! 2010 is going to be a good year :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
bruce, do you need my wheelie car master or do you have that covered? Oh and seeing as how you alr eady have a mold for the Little Red Wagon wheelstander truck, Id say that if you adapted the tyco wheelie piece to fit it then a full working kit for that body would be a total win!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great idea, clear chassis & clear bodies. So....., can we order bodies in clear even if you don't do the chassis?
I am talking clear chassis ,but clear bodies may not be . For those that have worked with casting clear know that molding clear can be a nightmare sometimes . Depending on the type of rubber the body is made from you will not be able to use it for clear resin . The result would be either a bad sticky casting or a ruined mold. This would only be sometimes in special cases with bodies . After doing this for 30 plus years I still do not know it all and what I do know I have learned to stay away from it .

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I am talking clear chassis ,but clear bodies may not be . For those that have worked with casting clear know that molding clear can be a nightmare sometimes . Depending on the type of rubber the body is made from you will not be able to use it for clear resin . The result would be either a bad sticky casting or a ruined mold. This would only be sometimes in special cases with bodies . After doing this for 30 plus years I still do not know it all and what I do know I have learned to stay away from it .
Nothing like experience.....
That's why when you want something done right, you have pros do it.
You're the man.
Thanks for an informative answer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts