Hobbyist Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Anyone interested in buying smaller quanities? If so maybe we can pool resources and but a large roll and split it up.

What thickness would be good for RC cars?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Here’s a thought. Go to a company that makes vinyl signs and buy some of their scrap. It won’t be “clear” but then again, you could get “creative” with the colors LOL.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
In the households section of Walmart you,ll find a product called Peel and Stick ( has a funny yellow duck wearing a hat on the label ) I think it is intended to be used as a shelfing liner?? Anyway its availible in a clear laminate thats lightweight and easy to apply/trim and remove when needed, oh yeah ITS CHEAP!! a roll will last all season.
It also works well for making painting masks.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
McLin said:
Here’s a thought. Go to a company that makes vinyl signs and buy some of their scrap. It won’t be “clear” but then again, you could get “creative” with the colors LOL.

I got some vinyl from someone that made vinyl signs. Unfortunately, the company he worked for didn't have any automotive type and the thickest stuff he had was too flimsy to do any good.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The product on the ebay link is it, you'd just need a wider roll because that is the 1/4in roll for door edges and such. The film only comes in one thickness, to you wouldn't have to worry about that. I have to say that McLin's idea of getting vinyl scraps is a good, cost effective one. A single layer of vinyl wouldn't give the same protection as the paint protection, but if you were to put a 2 or 3 layers on it should work well, and probably still weigh the same as one layer of paint protection.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I believe that 5-1/4 would work, you'd just have a seam. That seam could catch on the track and tear it off at speed, but it does stick very well when applied correctly. Just be sure to clean your chassis with isopropyl alcohol before applying it for best adhesion. If your chassis is really dirty you might want to use electric motor cleaner first, but use alcohol last because it takes away any contaminants.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Oh about the 3M paint protections film, I have seen in in 3in 5in, 10.5 In and 24in so seams...who needs it

the Skates are good for providing a super low friction should you car make contact with the carpet or concrete. Scrub is bad., If anyone wants to, I can buy the large sheet of film and sell by the in^2 or square inches.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I just picked up a bunch of the paint protector,I went to local shop that does
window tint and some custom work,they gave me some of the scraps they had left over for $10.00 just a thougt.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts