Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make anything to go on the bottom of the chassis to keep it from getting scratched up on an asphalt track? I know Associated used to make something, but it's been discontinued.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yea carpet.

Just kidding. There are some automotive products designed to protect against rock chips, it would work for that, just an auto supply.

Doug P

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
jdearhart said:
Does anyone make anything to go on the bottom of the chassis to keep it from getting scratched up on an asphalt track? I know Associated used to make something, but it's been discontinued.

Thanks!
Im pretty sure the associated stuff is still around... I bought a sheet of it last august before running some concrete..

try here...looks like they have it..
http://www.rczonecentral.com/catalog/-p-206.html

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I covered my ride with vinyl like you use for numbers on the side of your car, but doesnt completely prevent it from scratches after the first couple times of bottoming out. maybe 2 layers or repatch would help

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
that was the other thing I was thinking but thought it would add weight and a higher ride height depending on thickness of lexan

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
the associated tape is basically that,.. thick adhesive backed plastic.. Yes you might have to raise the car .030.. But I ran open mod at the tri clone with the associated tape on the underside,,, The chassis looked like brand new afterwards.. the tape had gouges in it..but it never made it to the graphite..When I removed the tape when I got home te car looked like it never saw asphalt :) weight.. errr the whole sheet which could do 2 chassis...might weight 1/2 ounce..

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
...I've used .010 lexan in the past...cut it the shape of the chassie and drilled holes where the front bumper, antenna mount and the rear cross brace mounts...then just install the flat head screws in those holes to keep it in place. No Gluing to the chassis...

I've used thicker on the VELOs cause the .010 gets rubbed through REALLY QUICK

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kenwood said:
Im pretty sure the associated stuff is still around... I bought a sheet of it last august before running some concrete..

try here...looks like they have it..
http://www.rczonecentral.com/catalog/-p-206.html
Sean, thats what i was looking for, but my LHS says he can't get it anymore. He was told Associated quit making it. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Cant say for sure..But a lot of stuff People were told was discontinued while associated was moving overseas... But either way Every local LOW INVENTORY TURN shops near me had it.

I know Ive seen this stuff before in other applications.. Ill look around and see what I can find... Im pretty sure Ive saw some when I was buying some laminating equipment a couple of years ago.. It came in 4x8 sheets..

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
there has to be some "commercial" application version of this sticky backed chassis protector.... we just have to find it!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Go to an office supply store like Staples or such and get their laminating material that is use to protect important papers. It comes in a package and does not require heat for it to stick. Just be aware that the more openings you cover up in the front of the chassis the less front bite you will have.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
McLin said:
Go to an office supply store like Staples or such and get their laminating material that is use to protect important papers. It comes in a package and does not require heat for it to stick. Just be aware that the more openings you cover up in the front of the chassis the less front bite you will have.
ahhh! cool. i cut out the slots anyway with an exacto.. ;-) i get bored sometimes... LOL

thanks will check out office depot on my way home today.

·
Registered
351 Posts
jdearhart, 3M Paint Protection Film should work great. It is one of the films made for passenger cars to protect from road debris. My work sends it to Nascar teams to protect from sandblasting the front of the cars at high speeds. I have access to scraps of it, and I use it on the outside of the body to protect from wall scrapes and asphalt scrapes on the roof, and I have to say it is tough. It should keep your chassis in good shape. The only issues are that it is expensive, and it can be hard to get. 3M will only sell it to certified installers, so you would need to find someone with access to it. Hope this helps, and if you want more info about it let me know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts