Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so at the track last night I was checking out what some guys lipos were charging up to .I assume they are best charged up to 4.21 or in that ballpark.My charger was only going to 4.01 called the comp and they said its built in to the charger.

Questin DO I need a new charger (That will go to 11) LOL I mean 4.21 or you think I would see the diffrence at a lower 4.01

NOTE AFTER GOING BACK AND MAXING THE SETTINGS IT IS ABLE TO CHARGE TO 4.201 this was a smc 4000 25c one cell lipo

Thanks Jake

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Jake,

CHECK it with a DVM when it comes off - if you ARE only getting 4.01 YES - cause it's Not getting a FULL Voltage Charge so which will also cause what voltage is there to DROP quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake,

CHECK it with a DVM when it comes off - if you ARE only getting 4.01 YES - cause it's Not getting a FULL Voltage Charge so which will also cause what voltage is there to DROP quite a bit faster.
I knew that would be the answer:(.Bummer

Jake

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe if you were a robot you would notice the differance. I have charged them on my charger at 10 amps and they always read 4.20 or 4.19 on the tech meter and never noticed a differance in lap times/punch. setup setup setup a .01 of a volt is gone by turn 2 an ill handling car on the otherhand sucks all the way around. edit sorry just realized you posted it at 4.01 not 4.20 in that case yes I would definatly check out your charger. what charger are you using btw?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
crash - he said 4.01, NOT 4.21

a TWO TENTHS voltage on a LIPO CHARGE is Huge! Because it means the lipo is NOT charged fully, and won't have the TOP CHARGE, nor the BOTTOM charge.

Two Hundredths - No BIGGIE!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
what

Maybe if you were a robot you would notice the differance. I have charged them on my charger at 10 amps and they always read 4.20 or 4.19 on the tech meter and never noticed a differance in lap times/punch. setup setup setup a .01 of a volt is gone by turn 2 an ill handling car on the otherhand sucks all the way around. edit sorry just realized you posted it at 4.01 not 4.20 in that case yes I would definatly check out your charger. what charger are you using btw?
you mean to tell me you are chargeing your single cell packs at 10 amps wow what charger do you use

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Team Checkpoint tc 1030 I called them and they said its built in to the charger.

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how about this question what all chargers will go to 4.22

I know the Pulsar 3 will what else?

Jake

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
10 amps is only 2 - 2.5 "C" charge rate if it's a 4000 or 5000 mAh pack - as long as it's charging CC/CV it's not an issue!

The Amperage is ONLY there until the desired voltage is reached - then it steadily drops - it's not like it's PUMPING the voltage till the end at those AMP rates. (Like NiMh chargers did)

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
The Pulsar 3 can be calibrated to get you right on the money... great charger. Don't know much about the team checkpoint, doesn't have a calibration deal on it does it?

Pulsar 3 between $140 & $150 maybe less on ebay, worth every penny.

Bill

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Pulsar 3 can be calibrated to get you right on the money... great charger. Don't know much about the team checkpoint, doesn't have a calibration deal on it does it?

Pulsar 3 between $140 & $150 maybe less on ebay, worth every penny.

Bill
Yea I just bought one LOL.

Jake

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
this is the reason you invest in a good charger...saves you alot of headaches and money later on

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you sure you have your checkpoint set for li-po not li-ion...theres a difference on the cut offs on those.

LOL durrr uuuup is on lipo.

I was charging it on 3.7 ,8000, 10 amp

No matter if you can set a charger to go to 4.22 it only makes sence to go that route.

Jake

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
gfx

seems no matter what cell comes out i can get a upgrade in software and keep on charging...and the 35 amp discharge is nice.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
That seems odd to me. I have a checkpoint that just sits in my box now, but while it never did charge to the full 4.22, it did go well above 4.01. I think they peaked out at 4.19 for me. seems like they may be a little inconsistant with the software or something. As for charging, atleast with the TP packs, I was told 10 amps is the optimal number to charge them at. Anything more is useless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts