Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have exact setup specs to setup a ice charge to charge 4.8v spec pack to thier ultimate peak charge. I have the track manager and 3 racers today say thier packs peak at 8v and maintain 6v+ I cannot get more than 5.6v charge on any of the 4 pack 3 older 1 new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the exact same problem with the ICE charger, and also I cant seem to get the charger to repeak these batteries. I keep getting an error saying the voltage detected is higher than the number of cells selected.

I have 5 new packs, and all peak around 5.5-5.7V using a 25mV dropback.

Very interested in the answer to this.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
gunlocators, I know this is going to sound opposite of what you may believe, but the lower the peak voltage the better the pack will be. With low IR cells the peak voltage with be lower and yeild better voltage while discharging. I sign of a pack going bad is the peak voltage starting to rise.

·
Registered
500 Posts
todddye said:
I have the exact same problem with the ICE charger, and also I cant seem to get the charger to repeak these batteries. I keep getting an error saying the voltage detected is higher than the number of cells selected.
I have 5 new packs, and all peak around 5.5-5.7V using a 25mV dropback.

Very interested in the answer to this.
I get that same friggin message with our spec 2000 batts!! I thought it was something I was doing... :mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I worked around this last week by setting it to repeak the same size battery but with 6 cells instead of 4. I was able to put another 50-75mah into the battery, but I doubt that was the right way to do it.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
with the ice id rather charge it by heat then by milliamps. you can do that right? once a battery is at the right temp then its charged. thats my understanding anyways. why over heat a pack by over charging it? isnt that bad?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can monitor temperature and use a maximum temp to stop charging, but it will still use peak detect to stop charging.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
wait can you set maximum temp to stop charging? you said that. then you said "BUT" it will still use peak to stop charging? lol im confused. im curious cuase i was thinking about gettin a ice charger to charge thermoly

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can set the maximum temperature to 130F for example and if the battery hits that temp it will stop, but....

If it detects a peak before reaching that temp it will also stop charging. I have the dropback set to the maximum (25mv/C) but it still hits that before it gets anywhere near 130F.

I may be wrong, but according to my experience over the last few weeks it appears to use both temp and peak in order to stop charging. As far as I can tell there is no way to set it to use temp only.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
i charge my spec packs 5 amps with 30mv or .032 cutoff.... they are just barely warm when they come up. try getting the pack up to 100 degrees on a heating pad before ya charge them, maybe that'll help. maye i'll try that too, lol.

you're gonna end up killing them packs if you keep jacking the amperage up.

bottom line is, spec packs suck. you buy 5 packs, 1 is great, 3 are ok, and 1 is junk. weigh them, you'll see a difference there too. i don't care i just run em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts