Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have raced in a series, only to have the points system changed half way through the series to stop people from complaining about a bad weekend hurting their points(double points weekend)? Just curious, just happened in a series this summer.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
One track I race at has been using a points system for over 5 years and has never changed it......

100 points to winner, 90 second, and down through top ten. Calculated and posted weekly. 2 drops in every 8 week series. In case of ties it goes to the number of seconds, thirds, etc.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Bottom line is usually the reason for a change -

If something isn't working - and/or bringing in the entries needed to pay for putting on a series - you take measures to try to get the numbers up and KEEP people

Sometimes those things back fire and you lose people instead - but ya got to try things sometimes...

Having put on Series races for 12 years, and being involved in them for over 20, I understand trying to spice things up to make sure guys who are out of the points fun the END of the series.

(I never did it w/ points - but have tried things to spice it up towards the end of a season)

The perception a points series puts out, many times in itself chases racers away - they think "I'm not racing for points, so why bother showing up"

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Drops are the key. 2 drops per every 8 - 12 race nights works well. (Decide that as a group.)
If you don't have drops, it rewards attendance more than skill.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Joe, another reason for not showing up, "I don't want to get in the wqay of those guys runniong for points, since I am out of the points"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts