Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been breaking the outdrives in my slider, running only a 13.5 motor. It seems like the ball diff will take forever to be available. So, is there another tranny with a ball diff that will fit or can make fit?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I've been breaking the outdrives in my slider, running only a 13.5 motor. It seems like the ball diff will take forever to be available. So, is there another tranny with a ball diff that will fit or can make fit?
I thought I read on rc tech that a guy put a xxxcr ball diff in a strike which I think is the same trans, had to use shims or something. I read it in the SC thread for the strike. I called horizon Friday to get my outdrives replaced in my sc and they told me the harder ones won't be available till March. They didn't even have any old ones in stock. :freak:

·
Registered
476 Posts
the issue on slider outdrives is that the pin associated with one of the outdrives breaks (poor design with inadequate material) to support the kind of stress we put on them. after the pin breaks it allows the large plastic gear to move freely about and the outdrives start wandering all around, even creating a crater in the outer portion of the outdrive making things worse. buying new ones (if they become available) will only result in the same result until they make hardened outdrives or change thier design to what i have done. my fix can be completed on your existing outdrives; however, it will not fix the crater if yours have already developed. you can swap your outdrives around so the axle pins are driven on the fresh side of outdrive axle slot.
i race at r/car in indy and really enjoy their program. if there is enough interest i may hook up with the hobby shop owner for supplying repaired outdrives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts