Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had the current front end on oval cars since 1992.
Some different, some with better designs from the first one, but still the same basic design.

Oh! Yes, I know the rules about the single axle rearend with or without a "T" Plate. Yes, it can only be a three shock car.

The year is 2007. Isn't it time for a change. With all the designers out there can't someone come up with a shocked front end?

Again this is just a Question.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Out here in Ca. we use shocked front ends for velodrome racing. These were designed by a local racer by the name of Donn Natale. They are based on ae dual sport arms and custom mounts and shock towers. For high speed and bumpy tracks you can't beat them. Everywhere else we still use the old standby ae, and I still use the old HPI front end on a couple of cars. You can try a search under DNA front end to get a idea of what the look like.
Hope this helps,
Brad

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

The buds frontend was pretty cool. :thumbsup:...... The ae frontend works great if built right, im get'n tired of look'n at it tho.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'm in.

Originally the rule was for a cost and technology limit, Look at the other car and truck classes being run today and tell me that there has not been a bunch of technology advances since this frontend came out. I too think it's time for a replacement and a revision of the rules.

The actual parts count would be nearly the same as the current front end and if designed to use either the current side shocks or a newer smaller version(hopefully the current ones for spring compatability) the complexity would be nill. Almost everyone racing now has some knowledge of the nature or theory of suspension working either from actual use or the weekly info from watching Nascar.

There are several touring car front end designs that could be utilized with just a steering knucle change as well as they are almost identical to the width of our cars now.

So what if they add a little weight, Raise the minimum. :eek: Now theres a novel idea!

Cost? Lets be realistic. What does a current high end oval kit cost right now? And how much does a current high end touring car cost? And how many parts does that touring car have in it's box? Doesn't really look like what we oval guys are gettting for our money's worth it now does it?

And as far as the rules go. Who runs anything but length, width, heighth and weight rules now anyway.
Lets see some out there designs with a straight rear axle requirement and thats it. Clean sheet of paper and then see who can get it to work. I'm waiting:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think that the current front end was designed for when everyone ran GTP bodies. It had to fit under the bodies.

Mach10- What front end did you start with? That is cool!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The “three shock” rule has always been a joke. Our “shocks” are no more than dampeners. It’s a shaft and spring that works against the resistance of different weight oil. When you add lube to the king pins you have a shaft and spring working against the resistance of different lubes. The only difference is one is in a container and the other one is open.

Scarecrow is right; the Associated front end has worked well for years but our cars have progressed beyond it. What would be great is a fully active front end.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Mach10_shooter said:
Here's my design. I use it for Velodrome racing but have run it on carpet too. Works great on both!
The olny problem I see with this Indy front end design is that a pan car can only have three shock design.

Its very cool! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And only american cars can run in NASCAR.

The Touring cars in on-road today were design with full shocks to give the drivers more adjustments to work with. They claim it gives the car a better feel when driving it.

Dirt ovals cars are the same way, but that came from using off-road car to run dirt oval years ago.

If your talking about rules it's time to change them.

I was the race director for the 2000 ROAR On-road Carpet Nats. That was the last year that 6cell mod pancars were ever run at a nats. It only went 1 qual and the drivers agreed it was over, the cars were to fast. The class died and took stock 6cell on-road pan with it.

I'd really love to have my 32 Ford 5 window coupe back, but they don't make it anymore. Because they changed the rules to better the car.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Maybe BRL, ROAR, or ARCOR should have a class where they run a brushless (It's the fastest growing class and would keep the motor out of the equation) class with an open chasis requirment, anything goes for a chassis. Have maybe a total weight of 45 ounces ready to run with body and transponder. The biggest problem is finding enough people that really want to do it. My .02 Ralf

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You guys are making too big of a deal out of this. IF someone comes up with a better front end……we will use it! And I guarantee you if that company happens to be big enough……..the rule will be changed. If not, the mod guys will use it and the Stock guys will keep screaming until it is changed. But first, someone has to build it and then it will have to be “better” than what we use today.

It’s that simple.........

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Scarecrow One said:
We have had the current front end on oval cars since 1992.
Some different, some with better designs from the first one, but still the same basic design.

Oh! Yes, I know the rules about the single axle rearend with or without a "T" Plate. Yes, it can only be a three shock car.

The year is 2007. Isn't it time for a change. With all the designers out there can't someone come up with a shocked front end?

Again this is just a Question.
Already further along than most know. I'm sure that the pictures will show-up on here before too long.....

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
there is away to modify the 12th crc version to 1/10th its been done. there is a weak point in the lower a arm, seen alot break

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Dave(IRS) is working on them.Still tweaking the mold.He had a couple of prototypes that were done.He bolted them on a chassis and beat them on his work bench.Took awhile but he finally broke one.We should have some to test in the next few weeks.It is a slow process but it will be worth the wait.I'll see if I can get Dave to post some details(the boy makes awsome parts but has a hard time with the internet).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts