Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yeah...Its a "cheepo" way out. Didn't have to do nothin' but hack off a "HW Swoop Coupe" top and make it fit. Didn't even have to repaint. I even used the exhaust and just drilled out the ports in the pipe ends. I may add a strip of chrome between the roof and body to help join the two. Hey! They can't all take two weeks and tax the brain :freak:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
That's not the cheapo way out if you ask me. It's just a simple and clever solution to a problem and it looks great. :thumbsup:

·
0 Posts
It looks great with a top. I like it!

Trivia time: several outlandish-looking Hot Wheels are close approximations of an actual car. This one is the 1937 Delahaye 135 MS, with body by Figoni & Falaschi coachworks. The Swoop Coupe is a '39 Lincoln Zephyr.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know about the Delahaye. I'd have to find a pic of that and make a reproduction. I always thought the design was taken from the Rodger Rabbit film. :p

Some other examples of what your talking about are the "Torpedo Jones" car modeled after the 1911, FIAT S76, 28,353cc 4 cyl.,210 kmph. "Old #3" was supposed to be the Marmon Wasp but Mattel decided the pointed rear deck would end up a lethal weapon in the hands of a 3 year old. The Cat.A.Pult was a Cheeta Roadster. That was called something else but can't recall exactly what. This isn't even mentioning the cars that were very nice reproductions like the Chaparrals, FORD GT, MkIV, UOP Shadow, Ferraris, Cunningham etc. Only problem? Sucky wheels. Why? Oh why, sucky wheels?

·
0 Posts
ClearHooter said:
Sucky wheels. Why? Oh why, sucky wheels?
Mattel has ruined the looks of many a nice casting by using cheap-o wheels. The Old #3 really benefits from a wheel swap with matching rear spare. I didn't know the background to the Torpedo Jones and Old #3 cars. Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts