Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
put u'm in an old tylenol bottle,spray them with wd-40,swish um around a bit,take um out,blow off,then lay your favorite bearing lube to them.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
DK47 said:
put u'm in an old tylenol bottle,spray them with wd-40,swish um around a bit,take um out,blow off,then lay your favorite bearing lube to them.
So the tylenol residue is the key, right? It helps numb the pain of the balls, as they roll around inside?

now, seriously .....

i've ran an experiment as of late. i put the bearings in a Clean baby food jar (ran thru the dishwasher cycle several times), spray PB BLASTER in the jar, drop bearings in jar, let them sit for a miniute or 3, shake it up for a period of time (until you get tired), drain the "mess", remove bearings, mix lucas synthetic oil treatment, Ultra Lube (a gun lubricant), and good ol' Marvels mystery oil in an old empty bearing or comm drop container (cleaned prior). Lube bearings.
attempt to keep a ratio of 1:15 of lucas (eg. for every ounce of lucas -- 15 ounce of other oils)

that seems to work pretty dang good (you an even l00b the bushings in a stock motor with it)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
lol,yep,sometimes i take capsules and break them apart! Seriously though,anything like brake cleaner or the stuff listed above is fine,some of our co. even have a bearing blaster to put the bearings in to clean.Just use a good lubricant when finished.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
I like using an ultrasonic cleaner, (you can pick them up relatively cheap at Harbor Freight...no need to spend $100+)
The ultrasonic cleaner has a basket that you put the bearings in, then submerge in the cleaner. I use Mineral Spirits. The basket allows the dirt to fall to the bottom of the cleaner while it "suspends" the bearings.
After you run them thru a few cycles, you can either blow them out with an air compressor or just lay them on a clean shop towel to dry. Reoil with a high quality oil, (LPS, Marvel Mystery, etc.) and you're good to go...:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
After every race day I've been spraying them out with contact cleaner, blow dry, and lube with Rem Oil. (Remington Gun Oil w/teflon) Using these bearings for over a year on carpet and they're like new. ;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm surprised noone mentioned the RPM bearing blaster. It, like RPM's camber gauge is the mosy awesome inexpensive ($4.95) little device that actually works (as opposed to some of the stuff we buy!) You just stick the bearing in it and plug the nozzle from your motor spraycan into the top and spray out the crud. It forces the motor spray through the bearing races. Then just lube em up with your favorite stuff.
ps: Todd thanks for the tip on the Marvel. I have always wondered if it would work.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I've found that an ultra sonic cleaner seems to do the best job,you can get inexpensive ones at harbor freight,I got one from K-mart for like $20 made some little hangers to suspend the bearings on while it rotates works great takes about 10-15 mins in some alcohol, blowem off and lube.Marvel Mystery oil has been around the hobby for years and years I've been using it ever since I started racing back in 90-91.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I agree, ultrasonic cleaners are anyone's best bet and for the price of the ones at Harbor Freight, (I haven't the K-Mart deal) they are really hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Todd P, what do you use in your for a cleaner? Some guys here say alcohol and others say lighter fluid. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts