Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm stupid!! There I said it now I need some help. I was talking with my buddy who races the big cars and we were discussing set up and suspension, when we got to the center shock I tried to explain what it did and thats when I realized I had no actual clue what the purpose of it was.

So here's my question: What does it do? What characteristics will a hard spring show compared to a soft spring? I know I might be biting off more than I can chew, I'm sure this is more complicated than "it will push" or "it will be loose" but I need it in as simple of terms as possible, remember, I'm a retard.

Thanks for any info possible, I'm stuck at work thinking about this, its gonna be a long night!

Rudy
Double D Racing Motors
C&N Hobbies
Rudy's Graphix

·
Registered
394 Posts
racin rudy said:
Ok I'm stupid!! There I said it now I need some help. I was talking with my buddy who races the big cars and we were discussing set up and suspension, when we got to the center shock I tried to explain what it did and thats when I realized I had no actual clue what the purpose of it was.

So here's my question: What does it do? What characteristics will a hard spring show compared to a soft spring? I know I might be biting off more than I can chew, I'm sure this is more complicated than "it will push" or "it will be loose" but I need it in as simple of terms as possible, remember, I'm a retard.

Thanks for any info possible, I'm stuck at work thinking about this, its gonna be a long night!

Rudy
Double D Racing Motors
C&N Hobbies
Rudy's Graphix
I will second this^^^^! LoL:confused:

Thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing
www.geocities.com/cornwallrc

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
generally a softer spring will tighten the car up (ie more push),, and a stiffer wil losen it up..

shock angle, oil. length. ect ect all come into play.. the thickness of the t plae everything all works together

·
Registered
401 Posts
What the center shock does in terms of what it effects on the car is, weight transfer and bump controll. When you get on the gas on a pan car, because the way the motor is positioned in relation to the suspension pivot point, the rear of the car raises. You can imagine the car trying to do a wheelie, the front of the pod will raise, extending the center shock.

When you get off of the gas, the opposit happens. rear of the car drops down, and the center shock gets compressed. What that means is that the center shock controlls the ammount the pod can move, and or how fast it moves.

By running a stiffer spring, the center shock will not only hold the rear weight of the car better, but it will make the pod extend faster under acceleration. This generally will make the car loose. It will also make the rear of the car drop less under de-acceleration, and force more weight on the front tires, giving the car more steering.

A stiffer t-plate has the same effect. It makes the car want to rotate better in the corners. Like its driving from the rear of the car. A softer setup will make the car fell like its being pulled around by the front of the car.

Stiffer Spring= Looser car, on corner entry and corner exit.
Softer Spring= Tighter car on corner entry, and corner exit.

By changing the oil in the shock, you can delay the movements, or speed them up, and that can have very mixed results. I have come across situations where running thicker oil made the car calm down and easier to drive, and I have also come across situations when thiner oil setteled the car down and made it easier to drive. I normally will change shock oil depending on what the car is doing and what it needs to make it faster. If the car has two thick of oil, and the rear end is just sliding all around, I will go to thinner oil. If the rear of the car is too lively and just hopping all over, thicker oil can make the car calm down. Its very setup and track dependent, from what I have found.

If you need any more in depth, let me know, I can go there if need be.

DW

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Burbs and JPH, that helps alot. I'm going to print this stuff out because I know darn well I'll get some place and forget which is which.

JPH... Thanks for that indepth description, thats just about all the info I can store at one time before I start to forget the first part of... see I forgot already! lol

Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Your buddy, depending on what he drives should know what that shock is for. latemodels such as portcity, howe, lefthander, and pathfinder all use this kind of idea in the rear end. it is mounted on the rear end top and goes to the the frame. it usually has a internal spring that one can change. it is used a little different, but it's kinda the same idea. a car coming off the corner without this shock will be alot more loose. this shock helps the rear end bite more coming off the corner, and acts like a torque dampner for the rear end. i think even the dirt latemodel boys use this system. i wish had had a camera to explain it more. got 2 portcity's in front of me.lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
Alright, well I am currently running a silver spring as my center shock and my car's pushing coming out of the corner. If I would change it to a harder spring would this get rid of the push if not all of it, but a part of it?

Thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Which silver are you running,the stock assc., or the Silva concepts? The assc. is a 3.8lb. spring,whereas the Silva is stiffer.[5lb] So,if it's the assc. go to the Silva,if it's the Silva,go up in their spring rate.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
increasing tension on the spring , DOES NOT change the spring weight. It changes pod droop, and the chassis angle. This it self may make the frontend turn more in the middle of the corner.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
justin what kind of track do u run on.. the center spring may not be the problem.. it could be other parts of the setup.... and yes tightening the spring will not change the rate. but it can loosen or tighten the car up by increasing or decreasing tension...

what t plate are u runing? shock oil? track suface? tires? front springs? battery placement? side springs? side oil? car?

the sedan springs are stiffer then the offroad springs.. and shorter.. u cant preload them as well as the offroad all i and others i race with ever run is the offroad ones.. black, brown,green. silver, sometimes blue... but i only run falt carpet,,, and cap tire paved asphalt....

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
blueracer55 said:
Your buddy, depending on what he drives should know what that shock is for. latemodels such as portcity, howe, lefthander, and pathfinder all use this kind of idea in the rear end. it is mounted on the rear end top and goes to the the frame. it usually has a internal spring that one can change. it is used a little different, but it's kinda the same idea. a car coming off the corner without this shock will be alot more loose. this shock helps the rear end bite more coming off the corner, and acts like a torque dampner for the rear end. i think even the dirt latemodel boys use this system. i wish had had a camera to explain it more. got 2 portcity's in front of me.lol
I think on a port city car they call it a truck arm.

·
Registered
394 Posts
hey Burbs!

I run on a short-flat tri-oval which is 85' in length. I am running the Sylva Concept rear-steer T-plate (0.025"), 40 Wt in side shocks, and 50 in center, Aquas in the rear, blue RF, and green LF, 2 green wolfe srpings in the front, battery all the way at the back, and a Factory Team Associated RC10 L4O

Here is a pic of it:http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=10905

Got it?

K, thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
throw a pr of harder springs on the side shocks, it should help free the car up a bit

·
Registered
904 Posts
Justin_29 said:
Alright, well I am currently running a silver spring as my center shock and my car's pushing coming out of the corner. If I would change it to a harder spring would this get rid of the push if not all of it, but a part of it?

Thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing
You could try one of the following:
  • move the lr tire in on the axel
  • stiffer side springs (two golds or a gold RR and red LR)
  • try 35wt oil in the sides
  • and try 3 pinks and a purple RF tire (these offer more side bit and steering)
  • or move the LF upper arm to the top hole on the castor block
start with the tires.. those tires are kind of hard for flat track
when you change the tires start with two gold side springs
then put 35wt oil in the sides
start with the LF arm in the middle position and if it pushes off put it in the upper position (that will loosed it up off the corner)
offset the pod to the left if it isnt offset already

Mike Voccola

1 - 20 of 36 Posts