Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The time is just around the corner to kick off the 2007 DIRT Season. But, before we can get the first night of racing under way we have the following ambitious work to transform the ole race-way into a state of the art racing complex:
  • Remove existing Big Track turn 3 & 4 walls
  • Remove existing Short Track turn 3 & 4 walls
  • Move existing turn 3 & 4 clay onto new track area to form base
  • Install infield Drainage
    • Turns 1-2 catch basin
    • Turns 3-4 catch basin
    • Under Drivers-stand catch-basin
    • Center of infield collection drum with cover
    • Drain under back stretch
    • Powered pump for those cloud bursts
  • Install Sprinkler System
    • Zoned spray nozzles in the infield
  • Build 4 new pit tables
    • 1 next to hobby shop
    • 3 to be located where existing turn 3 & 4 are
  • Re-work electrical system
    • Install new outdoor beaker box
    • Install new Street Light in new Turns 3 & 4
    • Individual circuits for table groups, lights and computer
    • Install electrical outlet in infield
  • Install new Turn 3 & 4 wall
    • Turn 4 will be tractor access
    • Turn 4 will be car on-off area with protective wall
  • Install new inside curbing
    • Poured and smoothed concrete, level with track surface for 4”, taper down about two inches to the infield area; self clearing and draining
    • Painted red and white striped (think racing curbing)
  • Build Scorers Cart
    • Hot Dog Cart style, complete with umbrella
    • In same location as current scoring is done
    • Permanent wiring for loops, power, speakers, and printer
    • A-B switch for whichever track is scoring
    • Hook-up the laptop and go racing
    • Less than 100 Sq Ft, no building permit required
  • Spread new clay on the remaining of the surface
Anyone that wants to get a jump on things and get the track shoveled off; go right ahead. The official start of work will be somewhat weather dependant, but I’d say no later than April 7 & 8.

Tentatively we are holding a planning meeting on April 1st at Science and Hobby, to coincide with the last points race of the carpet season. This date will be confirmed later.

In case you haven’t heard we can’t delay getting the track ready as the WDRA is coming to town for a weekend sweep. May 19 & 20 will feature racing at both the new track at Competition and the Pine Bowl.

See Ya………….At The Track

Kirt

PS If you can’t wait, the first WDRA race is in two weeks, 24 March at Radio Hill, check it out on dirtoval.com. I’m planning on making the trek and might need some company.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kirt - I am actually making the trek out to Radio hill as well, providing I can get a car together in time. However I am going to Syracuse Friday night and driving to Radio Hill on Sat. Morning. I can meet you somewhere in Syracuse off the thruway on Sat., if you want to share some gas or just play Lebanon Valley (follow the leader, lol).

Didn't think I would still be in the area but as it turns out I will be for a little while and can help out with the track. I will try and make the meeting. You can talk to Dan if you want to get a hold of me, he knows how, haha.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
407 Posts
Kirt
I am pleased to see you are staying active with the rc racing. Sounds like you are doing a complete rebuild at Competition Hobbies, I hope alot of drivers will be inclined to lend a hand and get it all done. I don't have to preach they make the club, so please do your part and help make it the great club it is. Many hands lighten the load. Do your part.
I myself am trying to get some support on a monthly race here at Team 21 Speedway. I am trying to do a $50 A main win once a month. I am asking for people to let me know if they are interested so I don't waste my time, being it's tied up in the 358 mods. I was wondering if you could help out with the scoreing system ?
This year at Accord we will be running 2 358's. John Jr. will wheel the 2nd car. You know me 1 just isn't enough. More work. and lots more $$$$$$
Bill

·
Registered
420 Posts
Kirt,
Count me in for the work. what time are u planning to get there? Cant wait for dirt season!!!
thanks,
Al Smith

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DIRT Planning Meeting

Sunday April 1st
Science & Hobby (Watervliet NY)
Approx 1:00 PM (time may be delayed slightly so as not to conflict with the racing program or the election of Officers)

See Ya.....................At The Track
Kirt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Kirt,
I will be unable to make the meeting on Sunday but will be able to help out with the renovations of the grounds and track. I will check back after the 1st to see what the plans are from the discussion at the meeting.
-Todd

·
Registered
489 Posts
How did everyone make out at ******** and K&N this weekend???

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN IF ANYONE IS READY FOR DIRT!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO THE BIG MIKES DIRT OVAL TREAD POST # 438!!!!!!!

BIG MIKE

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sunday, after the meeting we decided what with rain in the forecast for the entire week we should just DO-IT!!!

A hastily organized work party started the reclamation at the Competition Clay Oval.

Grounds are raked of debris

Old Turn 3 & 4 walls and supporting posts are removed

Plastic inside retainer removed

Front walls removed

New Track Layout is staked-out

Drainage locations staked-out

Pit table lumber list created

Drainage parts list created

Next up

Trench the drainage system

Trench the water and electric from the store to the track center

Trench to electrical lights and pit table locations

Procure Lumber

Procure Drainage materials

Layout Electrical and create parts list

See Ya .................... At The Track:thumbsup:
Kirt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kirt,
Just an idea, what about making a list of little stuff that can be done by maybe 1 or 2 guys that have some time to go to the track for a couple of hours when nobody else can go? Even if it is shoveling material w/out a skidsteer, or digging trenches without a trencher, every little bit will help and make the place that much better. There must be little stuff that guys could do if they had the time and wanted to go up and help out. This way stuff can still get done without a mass coordination for just when the machines are there or when everyone can make it. Then when a task is done, they can just send in a note here saying to check it off or let you know or something.

Also what about using a landscapers level to make sure the pitch is good in the drain lines and then you can use it to make the two corners somewhat similar, if that is what is desired. I am sure someone has a connection to borrow one of those, or even rent one.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good Idea Steve

Each of the catch basin locations are staked out.

Off-road track

Under the drivers stand

Turn 1

Turn 3

These four outlying ones need to be approx 14” square and 12” deep.

The Off-road basin will pipe through the basin under the drivers stand.

The off-road area between the basin and the outer wall (next to the drivers stand) needs to be dug out next to the wall for 6-8 feet (where the water runs under the wall now). Take one of the blue tarps that are under the drivers stand lay it so it will create a barrier from 12-16” out from the wall, up the wall, and over the wall; fastening the tarp on the back side. Then bury the tarp and create a slope in the track so new run off will enter the catch basin.

The main catch basin in the center needs to be approx 20” diameter and 3 feet deep

Trenches about 6-9” deep and pitched slightly to the center

Drain pipe from each of the outlying basins run unto the center basin

A drain from the main basin runs beyond the track in turn 3, beyond where the flag is marking the location.

The main trench from the Hobby Shop to the center of the track for water and electric will probably need power equipment (or a strong back and a pick axe) as if I remember there is a layer of blacktop under the dirt. But if anyone is willing, go for it.

I will try to have all the drainage material and the lumber for the pit tables delivered this Friday AM. I will be at the track from approx 8-11:30AM if anyone else is available.

See Ya ………….. At The Track

Kirt

·
Registered
420 Posts
What time and when is the next time you are getting together? Give me a time and I will come help as long as you will be there. its a long drive from glens falls

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Change in my schedule, what else is new
I'm not making it today as I'll decided to take off for the weekend (one more ski trip ;))

Anyway, I've ordered the lumber for 4 pit tables, conduit and the drainage pipe. It will be delivered Tuesday AM.

Lets schedule a major work weekend next week 14 and 15 April.
I'll rent the trencher, if someone can get there hands on something with a bucket for Sat PM or Sun Am, we'll be in good shape.

Carpetners welcome to build the tables

Post holes to be dug

Walls to be errected

Drain lines, Water pipe and electrical lines to be laid

See Ya.................. At the New Track :thumbsup:
Kirt

·
Registered
720 Posts
Club Motors.

If anybody needs a club motor - I have about 20 left. Kurt has ordered another case - but the new ones will be a few dollars more.

- Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bob-sent you a pm but your box is full, please clean it out, lol. I want 2 motors please let me know how I can get them from you. Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Kirt,
What are the plans for this weekend? I am going to try to make it over Saturday but was wondering what time everyone is planning on coming and what is on the agenda.

Thanxs,
Todd

1 - 20 of 448 Posts