Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it's that time again to get the carpet portion our our program up and ready to go.

First a few words as the outgoing President of "The Club" as we affectionately call ourselves:

I want to send my personal thanks and appreciation to all those who have helped in any way by, donating time, supplying materials, making suggestions on how we could improve, marshalling without being harassed, grooming tracks, taping carpet, painting walls, traveling to shopping malls, living through the start-up of the T/C Class, keeping points, developing web sites, sweeping sand & debris, vacuuming, setting-up tables & chairs and participating in the racing. You owe yourselves a big round of applasue; because of you and all this work, we've been able to have a place to race and the good fortune of each others comraderie.

You have made these years some of the most challenging, yet by far the most rewarding of my R/C career. When I look back and count up the achievements for the past three years; I feel "The Club" has a lot to be proud of and a great future ahead of it self.

I look forward to continuing on as the Secratary of the club and offically as of Oct. 1, 2204 welcome into office:

Ed Lagon President
Kyle Corbett Co-VIce President
Jimmy Willis Co-VIce President
Fred Houser Treasurer

We have had the first organization meeting and are prepared to release the tentative schedule as follows. Please stay tuned for updates, and I promise to get the Club's web site revised shortly:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Work Day activities to include:

Unroll the carpet for inspection and any required repairs (none anticipated unless the mice got active this summer)

Organize the storage cabinet

Re-build the "Scoring Tower" to accept the entire box of paper

Tape the loop to the carpet

Repair the outside "Safer-Barriers", replace any damaged plastic with new down-spouts and repair/replace all retaining pins

Develop and build a new inside wall and turns out of light weight materials

Develop and build new inside corners for a slippery "curb", no more heavy picking into the solid wood inside wall ( yes the parts stores will suffer more than your car !!)

Organize tables onto one cart.

Disguard / repair any broken tables

Biuld new 6 foot table cart

Rapair / replace retainer sand bags

Develop new plastic road course Dots

Vote on how to "Invest" some of our saving $$$.

Please plan to attend for what ever amount of time you have, even an hour is appreciated, as many hands make light work !! Review the work list and bring what tools you can for one or two of the project listed.

See Ya......At The Track

·
Registered
203 Posts
whatever happened to the final standings and trophies for the top 10 who spent countless hrs and money following that touring series last season?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Paul (Wee37);

There never was a top 10 for the NE Carpet Challenge, but a winner for each class was planned.

However, we at CD R/C Racer's have learned much about a traveling series including:

1 Those that complain about travel don't race at the track closest to home.
2 You can't please all the people all of the time.
3 Most of the time you can't please anyone.
4 Everyone wants to be invovled.
5 Less than half are willing to pay when the time comes.
6 Some see things as a fun challenge.
7 Others see the same as frustrating obsticles.
8 There is far more work behind the scenes that very few can appreciate, as most are not around when the work is done.
9 The Internet is a wonderfull thing, but a license should be required to use it.
10 It will be up to others to run such a series in the future.

There, at lest now we have a Top 10 :D

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Well thanks for giving it a try Kirt. The way I see it there is just not room for a series like that due to all the big races in this area already....which I think is a GREAT thing (all the big races around here).

I look forward to racing at CDRC again....it doesn't get any smoother than carpet on a gym floor!! Would be sweet if you get rid of the "curb".

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are planning on removing the curb this year, see the Work Day activities above, any help is welcome.

Trophies, as the promised funds where not received from all participating tracks, we did could not afford them, We are deciding on how to distribute what was collected. I will not comment in this format on who did and did not, those that did know, and we greatly appreciate it. Don't ask or speculate.

The Club is willing to participate in a series, just can't run or organize it this year.

I'm very happy to see the anticipation building for the season, think early snow!!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
KIRT,i think the series is a good idea, but i believe that it can only be done with one class and only so many tracks being involved,for example almost every track run 4 cell stock,make sense to have the series with 4 cell stock or 19 turn if you wanna turn the wick up a little,but having a series is a lot of hard work and you should be commended for trying,if other guys want a series let them organize it,i thought for years about getting a series going with the 4 cell stock,but that's as far as it gotten.
who knows someday i may get all the local track promoters together and talk about it.

Dan Dubuque

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look forward to seeing everyone on the 17th :)

In the mean itme, here's the list of activites for the Work Day (yea its aggressive) and the kinds of materials we will need as well as the tools.

Please review, advise if you have any of the materials lying around and want to donate them, otherwise we'll go shopping. I'm working on the casters, plastic for dots and the vinyl flooring; unless someone speaks up. The club will purchase the down spout as it needs to match what we already have.

Review the list of required tools as well and bring what you can to help in one or two of the ares.

Activity

Tools & Materials

Unroll the carpet for inspection and any required repairs (none anticipated unless the mice got active this summer)

Carpet Repair Tape

Electric Iron

Organize the storage cabinet

Re-build the "Scoring Tower" to accept the entire box of paper

Skill Saw

Drill & Bits

Screws Tie Wraps

Small wood stock

Saber Saw

Tape the loop to the carpet

Tape

Repair the outside "Safer-Barriers", replace any damaged plastic with new down-spouts and repair/replace all retaining pins

New Down Spouts

Screw Gun

Screws

Dowels & Heavy Rubber Bands

Develop and build a new inside wall and turns out of light weight materials

New Down Spouts

Wood for backing

Screws

Screw Gun

Dowels String

Develop and build new inside corners for a slippery "curb", no more heavy picking into the solid wood inside wall ( yes the parts stores will suffer more than your car !!)

Qty 2 -12 x 12 pieces of Vinyl Flooring

Double Sided Carpet Tape

Wood for corner braces

New Down Spout

Organize tables onto one cart.

Metal Screws

Drill & Bits

Discard / repair any broken tables

Screw Gun

Screws

Metal Angle Iron?

Welder

Build new 6 foot table cart

Qty 4 Casters

Screw Gun

Screws

Wood

Base (wood or angle iron)

Repair / replace retainer sand bags

Plastic Bags

Duct Tape

Develop new plastic road course Dots

Plastic Material

Machine into dots

Machine Mounting Brackets

Build New Road Course Chicanes

Use existing down spout

Wood Backing

Hinges

Springs

New Dots

Clean Vacuum Cleaner

New Bags in Closet

New Scoring & Results Strip

Cork Strip

Push Pins

See Ya ...... At The Track :thumbsup:
Kirt

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Oldnewbie, I was beginning to think no body reads this thing.

No need to buy screws if you don't already have them, I've got us covered. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A hard working group turned out this past Sunday, even three racers that have never turned a lap at the famed temporary track. A tremendous amount was accomplished including:

Carpet rolled out and is in great shape

Outside “Safer Barriers” repaired

Scoring Tower re-arranged

Tables Repaired

Chairs Repaired

Table Dollies Repaired and Re-built

Pizza Devoured

Retaining Sand Bags Re-wrapped & Taped

Closet Organized

We have chosen to hold off on the inside wall re-build as we are looking into buying a “Road-Rail” system for the entire inside wall and plenty of extra pieces for the Road Course creations. If all goes well it will be in for the Oct 31st practice day.

Remember we are dark nest week (Election Day Breakfast)

All in all we are all set for the 31st when we’ll have organized practice. Normal rates apply, $10 except Novice $5 (We’ve got to pay for the place).

The scoring system will be set up and operational in “Practice” mode. If you have a personal transponder, your laps will appear under that number, if not just use one of the Club’s public transponders (keep track of which one) and your lap times will print out under that number.

New classes are always welcome; it only takes three cars to start a class. With the absence of the Legends Class there’s been a real void for an inexpensive starter class. We are working on a really cool pan car style chassis, but the details and costs won’t be worked out until the end of the year. In the meantime, let’s bring out those Mini-Ts and anything else, maybe a RTR Truck class. Bring in the ride and the Club’s officers will review for “Carpet Safety” and let you know.

Gearbox Truck drivers, we need your opinion on a few issues during the practice Sunday (31 Oct) even if your not ready for practice come on down for an early class meeting. Two issues we want to discuss:

• Highly modified chassis Vs stock “Tub” style
  • Shaking thing up a bit with a double or triple washboard on one straight and maybe a small jump on the other
After all, there’re supposed to be trucks!!!

Once again thank you very much to all those that came to help, reminisce, and kibitze this past Sunday.

See Ya ..................At The Track :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 475 Posts