Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just got this new kit which is the lastist addition to this series from Facto2.

First I looked at all the parts to the kit and then cleaned them.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next thing I had to do is put her together!

She has four antenna's on her head. The whole kit is resin and the four antenna's came straight and just a bit too long. The first thing I had to do was to get the antenna's to bend like she has them in the movie. This is not hard with resin. A simple trick.
1. get a small tube like a butter tube and fill it half with cold water.
2. Next I cut the antenna's to the length I wanted.
3. Then you will have to have a way to heat the resin and in my case I have a heat gun that will work perfect.
4. Next use the heat gun and heat up the resin antenna's. Simply hold the heat gun in your hand and heat each antenna separately (you know one at a time) by waving the gun over the antenna so the heat is not on the resin very long. Do not hold the heat gun right on the resin piece that you are working on because it will burn.
5. While the antenna is hot carefully bend the antenna to the bend you desire. Simply hold one end with one hand and hold the bottom with your other hand.
5.Then when you have the right angle you want dip the resin in the tube of cold water. This will cause it to hold it's new form.
That's it. Not too hard to do.

The next thing I did was use Apoxie Sculpt to fill all the seams. Love that stuff!:)

Hopefully I'll be able to prime her tonight cause she's ready to be primed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Chinxy, the She-Creature costume was such a cool design. And I don't know if you're old enough to remember it, but there was a great cover of her on either Famous Monsters or Monster World back in the 1960s.

And I've learned something --- I didn't know you could heat and reshape resin. I didn't know you could manipulate it once it had been cast and cured.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chinxy, the She-Creature costume was such a cool design. And I don't know if you're old enough to remember it, but there was a great cover of her on either Famous Monsters or Monster World back in the 1960s.

And I've learned something --- I didn't know you could heat and reshape resin. I didn't know you could manipulate it once it had been cast and cured.
Well I am old enough (50):thumbsup: and I also have that Famous Monster with She Creature on the cover somewhere in my collection.

I'm glad you learned that about resin. I learned that a long time ago at a Wonderfest convention. So yes, if you are very careful you can reshape resin and vinyl is almost the same. :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No updates?
Well actually Yes! I just laid a cost of black over her and tomorrow I'm going to mix the different colors of green to airbrush on her.

Sorry it took so long but had to let my finger heal up because it was just too hard to work on things.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Hey Chinx, she's looking good so far. The antennas look perfect and it is hard to imagine they were longer than that to begin with. I'll be following your build of this excellent kit. Was the movie in color? Also, resin can also be manipulated by dipping it in very hot water which is what I did to straighten some really big wall pieces on MIM Aurora box art kits.

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
I'm really glad you're doing this kit Chinx. Great tip on the antennas. :thumbsup:

~RK~

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are your finger and hand feeling better? Ouch!
Yes and no. Now that the stiches are gone and it's all healed up now I get a nasty wood splinter in my first finger and it is still swollen. And it's Wednesday, I did that Friday. Maybe I should just wear gloves.:freak:

But my wife is going to her friends house tonight to watch Survivor (neighbor 2 houses down) so I'm throwing paint tonight! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wife? The job? Or just mad at it? :confused:

HAL9001-
OK - that was just a joke. I heard that phrase used back a few years ago at Wonderfest meaning going to airbrush with different colors on the kit!

But wouldn't ya know it. I got the different mixes of green and I'm all ready and went to turn on my airbrush box light and it's out!:mad: So tomorrow I will go to Home Depot for the florescence blob.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! Well I'm finally got the bug to start doing kits again. Tonight I'm working on the She Creature that I got 2 months ago. :freak: I applied two shades of green. First put a blue/green over her. Then added olive drab over her. She's starting to come alive now. I'm really feeling good tonight. No pain or whatever! Soooo being the wife went to a scrap book thing tonight I've been airbrushing and it feels great!
Here she is so far. Still has a way to go!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Great to see you back at the workbench Chinxy and that you are feeling better. Can't wait to see the She Creature finished up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm looking forward to more updates as well. I've been really happy with the kits in this series which I've bought, and am seriously considering adding this as well as TMFPB. All terrific subjects rendered amazingly well.

"Sock a she creature... and you go down like a sunken sub" as Uncle Forry once put it.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW! I just spent 2 hours putting in black shadow between the stones on her body all over. What a task. She's starting to come alive now. Next is the face. Then the antenna's, then the claws and the fines on the back. Should get a lot done this week being I have nothing planed this week. I'll take pic's tomorrow. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:confused: Can't upload the file. Says I don't have rights to the folder. I'll try again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts