Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been laying out plans for this diabolical beauty since it came out last year. I wanted to try out some new techniques and the Community Build sounds like a perfect way to share the fun. Thanks to MonsterModelMan for suggesting the event. :thumbsup:

Here's my ambitious plot:

1. The existing kit will be expanded into a bigger setting. It is after all taking place at Castel-Mare.

2. There will be special guest appearances. Some obvious, some not so much.

3. Custom special FX including light, sound and motion will be used to add to the creepy environment.

The pics below show the kit before assembly along with the tape-up I did during the planning stage. I'll share methods and techniques along the way.

Here's hoping everybody has huge fun with their builds.

Ladies and gentlemen rev up those Dremels and let the glue slinging begin! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Regards,
MattL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Another build I will enjoy watching, especially with all the mods. Are those guest appearances going to happen temporarily during the build or will they be hanging around in the finished project?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spockr, guest appearances? Plural? That sounds like fun and I look forward to seeing who they'll be!
Another build I will enjoy watching, especially with all the mods. Are those guest appearances going to happen temporarily during the build or will they be hanging around in the finished project?
The "guest" appearances are very intriguing indeed! Looking very forward to following the wip on this one.
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. :thumbsup:

The Ghost's 'Guests" will be stayng at the Castel forever and EVER ...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I look forward to the ghost's guests, I really am looking forward to the lighting effects. Wooo-hooo. Cool!
Yeah --- the guys that actually add lighting to these kits are REAL hobbyists. The rest of us are just posers! Can't wait to see it!

If you guys would like to see a preview of the kind of approach I take to lighting and effects I invite you to take a look at this link to see what I did with Monarch's Nosferatu:

If you check it out please let me know what you think.

Regards,
MattL

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought the best part was when you did the stop motion stuff at the end...that was really cool!

Can't wait to see what you do with the Ghost!

MMM

Thanks MMM. When I showed this video to a friend a while back he said "Stop motion with static models, sheesh, who da thunk it" I said 'Its just like Rudolph only with monsters". Making the videos is at least half the fun for me. I'm glad you liked it. :p

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For the Ghost himself the overall look I'm shooting for is like a glowing specter. He will be painted simply with either just a dark wash over naked plastic or I may use glow in the dark paint followed by a dark wash.

To create a ghostly ambiance for him I'm placing a number of either cool white or possibly turquoise leds inside the head and body. These will be driven by a fading circuit to add a layer of eeriness to the scene.

I removed the guide pins from the inside of the head to avoid them from blocking the internal led light. I used Tamiya liquid cement, cleaned up the seam line with xacto and a flex file. Then I used needle files to restore the lay of the hair.

The eyes nose and mouth will be filled somehow. I may fill them with Testors clear parts cement and cover that with white paint. Or else I may make a mold of the head and make a replacement with clear resin like I did in these experiments with Nosferatu. http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/Spockr/Clear Resin Experiments/

The attached shots below show the head with one type of LED I'm considering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No running on the stairs!

Here's the latest update from the Lair...

My plans for Castel-Mare includes making it bigger and roomier. I'm extending the staircase and adding more wall. Eventually the area behind the wall will also become a finished room but more on that later. I decided to mold part of the wall and stairs so that I could keep the brick style uniform throughout. I use Amazing Mold Putty to create copies of the structural parts I needed. The parts were poured with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. I like this product a lot because it is light weight, durable, easy to paint and easy to weather (its also dirt cheap). Some part molds were poured with clear epoxy resin. I did this because the plan is that any surface that the glowing Ghost touches will also glow. Some castings were done by pouring both materials into the mold.

So that the 'cloned stones' wouldn't be too obvious I added features to some of them with Aves Apoxy or ground some feature away. Another thing to mention about Durham's is how easy it is to cut by simply using a hacksaw blade. Its also easy so to shape using a course file and even sandpaper. Seams and cracks in the stairs were filled in with Aves.

I raised the height of the dungeon window under the stairs so that I could better accommodate one of the 'special guests".

The nameplate was cast in clear epoxy so that it can be backlit. I filled in the letters with liquid mask. The whole thing will be covered with primer and painted. Once the paint dries the masking will be removed so that light only comes through the letters...

Regards,
MattL

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, Spockr, I just took a look at your Broadway Bela Dracula build. It was fun to look at the photos and even more fun to look at the YouTube video of the kit. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the Ghost kit. You know you've set the bar pretty high for yourself! But I have a feeling that this build will be just as good or better!

Me? I can tie my own shoes.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Cap. I've got a lot of miles to go on this project but the end result shall be worth the time investment. (If the modeling gods are with me)

Here's some more Lair building pics. I'm using foam board glued to corrugated cardboard as the foundation for the wall. I made vertical slits in the foam board so that it would be shaped to follow the basic contour of the kits's wall and stairwell. I used hot melt glue in the slits so the piece would hold its shape. The next steps will be to apply a skim coating to the wall with (you guessed it) Durham's putty. I'll use an artist's spatula to smooth it on and then use a ruler and sculpting tools to cut in the rock shapes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A quick update from the Castel-Lair. I skim coated the foam board wall with water putty. My plan is to make the four sections removable so that the whole dio can be disassembled for ease of transporting to shows. The mating surface between the kit wall and foam board wall fits together in tongue and groove fashion. I wanted to reinforce the foam wall side of the joint and decided to use Aves' Apoxy Sculpt thinking that it would be strong for this purpose and it certainly is. The parts mate together like a hand in glove and should hold up well. What I didn't expect is that the Aves shrinks when it cures. This basically means I have some gaps to go back over to prevent light leaks from the rear. Does Aves usually shrink? Haven't seen that happen before. Maybe my mix ratio was off. Any ideas?

This gallery shows the pieces in 360 rotation:

http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/...tel-Mare/Wall WIP 093012/?albumview=slideshow

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts