Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, okay, I'll capitulate. Three and a half might be a bit young. I thought, judging by the photos, that he was about six. Maybe he shoudln't see the horrors for another couple of years.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
He's seen the stuff I put out at Halloween...likes this skull I have by the front door that plays the theme to HALLOWEEN... and I always let him know it's bnot real, but sure is fun...so I figure soon he'll be okay watching the Universal classics with me.

·
Curmudgeon
6,626 Posts
...and I always let him know it's not real, but sure is fun...so I figure soon he'll be okay watching the Universal classics with me.
I think this is the key issue when you're dealing with young children and movies of this type--that it's not real and that you're supposed to have fun with them, but that it's still okay if they scare you because that's what they're supposed to do.

My problem is that I was always too analytical for my own good. For example, I'd be watching The Addams Family and they'd do a gag with Uncle Fester's disembodied head in a box on a table, and instead of laughing at the jokes I'd be thinking, "Okay, Jackie Coogan is sitting under the table with his head through a hole..." The Exorcist never scared me either, because I sat through my first viewing trying to figure out how Dick Smith did the effects instead of just watching the movie. :lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, watching the Universal movies with you soon would be great. But don't, under any circumstances, let him watch Beaches or Steel Magnolias until he's about 37!

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well, watching the Universal movies with you soon would be great. But don't, under any circumstances, let him watch Beaches or Steel Magnolias until he's about 37!
Brother, I'm STILL traumatized by those two! BRRRRRR!!!

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Stick a fork in me...

Too much family and houselold stuff, not nearly enough time for anything else...sorry, guys, I have to drop out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, no need to rush anything. When you do get back to work on it start another thread and let us see your progress. I'll look forward to seeing it and I'm sure everybody else will, too!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know all too well how that goes, so sorry you will have to drop out but know that we'll be here whenever you are ready to get back in the game. Family always comes first.

All the best.

Tory

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Oh didn't I mention that once your in...YOU CAN'T LEAVE!

Seriously, don't sweat it!

Model building is supposed to be fun and that picture of your assistant holding the scratch built base floor looked like you were having fun...father-son time!

You don't need to worry....we wil be right here if and when you decide you might want to model on.

MMM

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Model building is supposed to be fun and that picture of your assistant holding the scratch built base floor looked like you were having fun...father-son time!
MMM
Pumpaw-grandson time actually, but it amounts to the same thing...
I just knew I wasn't going to be able to finish by the end of the year so I regretfully had to bow out. I'm not out of the hobby by any means, guys, so don't cry for me , Argentina...come next year I'm back at it full-force... and with a little bit o' luck I'll be able to jump into the next CB!

·
Curmudgeon
6,626 Posts
...I just knew I wasn't going to be able to finish by the end of the year so I regretfully had to bow out...
With my glacial build pace, I'm facing the same problem; at this rate I'll be lucky if I can get it ready for paint before the end-of-the-year deadline. But I'm still going to do what I can when I can, just to see it through...maybe I can finish it by the end of next year. :lol:

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
We have to work around taking care of our grandson too these days, so that puts a biiiiiiig crimp in building...as I'm sure some of you can attest to.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, fellas...but I'm not giving up just yet! Not only did I not consider the holidays when I committed to this, but I'm having some more problems with the arthritis...seems it always hurts more this time of year. I will continue to participate, but I don't feel I can promise a Dec. 31 deadline. I am going to try something new with the base to hurry up the painting of the gravel...one stone at a time is taking way too long...so that may speed things up quite a bit.

Ben

61 - 75 of 75 Posts