Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not going to use the tunic that is scuplted on the figure. If I remove it as is, there will be huge holes to fill. So I glued him together, broke out the Alumilite and filled the the body to make it solid.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MMM, thanks. This Community Build is great idea. I'm one of those who have half a million things going at once, with a million more planned. So this is a great incentive to get something done. And starting from the beginning brings something fresh to the work table.

Captmarvel, I use Atlas Chemical's Plumber Seal. It's a 2 part epoxy putty along the lines of Aves.

Hope to be back to this tonight!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a little more sculpting this weekend. I'm trying to work in the folds that are already part of the figure as I don't want to lose it completely. So far, so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Molemento Pete! Where ya' been?

I see that this resin kit has tabs and slots like a styrene kit. Do you build a lot of resin kits and when you do, do you drill and sink pins? I've had that explained to me in the thread on the Teenage Werewolf build here, and it sounds simple, but it still makes me a bit nervous thinking about doing it --- but I think I'll have to since I just picked up four resin kits.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Capt!
Yeah, I got a great start to this, then got tied up with work so couldn't get to it for a while. I'm hoping to be working on this regularly now, though.

This kit is not a resin kit, but I actually prefer working with resin kits over styrene. I like not having to worry about grinding through a thin wall of plastic when I'm doing conversion work.

As for drilling and pinning, I only do that if a kit has poor connecting points. Obviously, if parts meet up with only a flat surface you'll need to pin it. But if a kit has sufficient tabs and slots, I usually just use Zap-a-Gap to glue it then use epoxy putty to blend in any seams. If you are cautious about drilling, I would recommend using a dremel at low speed to help keep the drill bit from getting away from you and grinding away at the surface of the kit. Good luck!

Should have updates next week.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Color me lower tier on the evolutionary scale primate. Of course that's styrene. It's a Polar Lights kit. What was I thinking? I know the kit that you're building. In the photos it looked like resin, though.

Yeah, even with explanations given by the other guys drilling and pinning makes me nervous. But I guess I'll have to do it sooner or later!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it December 31st already?!
Well, as you can see I'm not finished. With trying to get my own kits out, doing stuff for others, and work (that dreaded four letter word!) I wasn't able to get this done. But it has been a blast sitting down and working on something just for the sake of doing it. And having progressed so far, I will be finishing it off as opposed to letting it languish on the work table.
My idea was to make this POTA: The Next Generation.
So here's where I am at:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was originally going to have the figure on a shipboard base, but once I used the AMT Spock hand for the tricorder I thought it would make more sense for him to be scanning an alien environment, so I used the kit's base. I left out the Stock Exchange sign, cut out the space for it, glued the parts together and blended them together with sculpted rocks. I'll be painting this up in weird colors and adding some strange foliage.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts