Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished my Klingon D 7 from Revell (pics in sci fi forum, feel free to peruse). Finally onto my Bride community build. I started by assembling the base and glassware. Next comes priming and painting the base and sofa.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moving Right Along

Got the base done except for the sofa. Detail is really nicely done on all the Moebius kits

The walls were primed with gray and shaded with darker grays and shades of brown, washed with burnt umber and a black wash

The glassware was dipped in various clear red, green, and amber.

The floor was primed and basecoted with a camoflauge tan from Rustoleum, then shaded with various shades of browns.Washed with black.

Here is the sofa with the light wood bottom coat applied. i will use the darker brown for washing the sofa , and use a colonial red for the cushion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lookin' sweet, jaws! Which paints did you use on the "glassware?" I bought this stuff at WalMart called Sun Catcher Paint that is made by a company called Horizon. But it seems a bit thick. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lookin' sweet, jaws! Which paints did you use on the "glassware?" I bought this stuff at WalMart called Sun Catcher Paint that is made by a company called Horizon. But it seems a bit thick. Is that normal?
I used Tamiya clear red, green, and amber. Dipped the parts in and dabbed off the excess with a paper towell.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Looks great so far...it's coming together nicely.

I need to get cracking...been very busy and haven't even primered mine yet but will be doing so very soon!

MMM

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bringing the happy couple to life

Got the sofa done and assembled Frankie and his beautiful bride. I will try to get priming done today if I can. Have some errands to run, and maybe go sneak a hold of our baby grandson Rocco. Here are some more WIP pics

sofa complete

Couple of seam lines , but wont be seen once figures are seated

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Sofa looks good, another one with the bottom finished as well! I fixed those front seam lines on the sofa but I agree, you don't need to and at first I wasn't. I honestly don't know why I did. Overall I would call the seam work on this model not bad at all, I've had worse for certain. The worst on this one was the couch, particularly the ends.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More build pics

Here are the built up pics of Frankie and the bride. I didnt think of it until after, but maybe a good tip would be to put some neo magnets in the sofa and on Frankie and the bride , so they can be positioned any way you want and be taken off for moving

There aren't many seams to deal with at all. Just some minor work. The heads are glued together and hopefully you can see not much seam found at all. I have done no putty work yet, but the heads still look pretty good.

As you can see I have the figures seated, and the feet do not extend past the base. The name plate fits fine as well.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
On the heads the seam removal wasn't bad. On Frank I think I did a bit of scraping with the x-acto, then a bit of sanding with a sanding stick, ending with recarving the hair lines randomly with a scribing tool. I don't think you can tell there were two halves at all. On the bride the most difficult was the seam line across the top of the hair. I first tried a lot of liquid glue and then rescribing the hair but I could still see the slightly recessed seam. Then I mixed up a little Aves and using a dental tool I pressed it into the recess and followed up with sculpting the hair recesses back in. Now it really isn't visible at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jaws and Bob, I've noticed a few seams that could use some additional attention, too. I've already got some paint over the figures. Is it okay to use putty on the seams after the fact? It should adhere to the painted surface, shouldn't it? This is the first time I've used any kind of putty in decades.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaws and Bob, I've noticed a few seams that could use some additional attention, too. I've already got some paint over the figures. Is it okay to use putty on the seams after the fact? It should adhere to the painted surface, shouldn't it? This is the first time I've used any kind of putty in decades.
you can putty over primer but I dont know about paint. The blue tape is keeping the unglued parts together until they are painted

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I would recommend sanding down the paint in the area of the seam and then puttying it. Of course that means you will have to repaint it but you'll have to repaint it no matter what you do it you put putty on it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Base is complete

Figures are outside drying from priming. My base is complete, I just need to finish up the nameplate. I used the back of the box and attached it with the cardboard to the back of the wall for a backdrop. Here are a couple more pics.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Looking very nice, there is lots of glassware with this kit isn't there? How's your figures coming along?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks Really good! I'm working on the base now. Frankie is done (pics posted here on the Moebius forum) then on to the bride. Fun kit!

Michael
FF:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts