Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the start of my project in the community build project, Moebius's new Bride of Frankenstein kit. The kit looks great with typical Moebius quality. Personally I would have liked to have it in a 20% smaller scale but this is nice, although it takes a fair amount of shelf space, and Frank really knocked this one out of the ball park with the setting and the figures. But with Jeff Yagher sculpting the original how could it not be great. Anyway, on to the kit.

First off I took some pictures of the various parts and assemblies. I haven't glued anything together yet but will shortly. The parts fit great and here are some obvious notes on the pics. And my pictures are rather grainy but I think they will work fine. I'll try to correct that in the next set.

This is the creature's head and primary body. There will be a fair amount of seam work but the parts fit nicely. I did notice that the legs to upper torso will require filling the gap where the lower pants join at the hip will require filling with Aves as there is a very noticeable gap there. He certainly has a "flat top" head as you can see with the top hair piece capping the head.

Next is the remainder of the body parts still on the sprue along with the body attached.

Here is the primary body for the bride. It is three parts. On both figures there are numerous guide pins and getting them all set at the same time as you slide the pieces together takes some effort but of course you only have to do that once.

Here are most of the rest of the parts for the bride herself. You can see how they broke up the body and head for assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also did some preassembly fitting of the base and love seat as shown below.

This is the floor and wall and very typical of the Moebius monster kits. I am thinking of getting that resin base Frank is offering but haven't decided yet. I'll likely finish the kit and then make that decision. The odd thing is the holes in the base as I cannot see anything that fits in these holes. The instructions say to connect the platform that sits under the love seat to the floor but there does not seem to be any pins in the platform and it simply sits on the floor, odd.

Here is a basic assembly of the base and love seat. You can see the platform under the love seat but as I said, it is simply sitting on the floor not using the guide pin holes in the floor.

And here is the love seat partially fitted together. There are six primary pieces and then the legs.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
the holes in he base are for the door and first Frankenstein kit from them as its the same base.. as to the clear jar parts.. there is space where the rat case was taken out.. its the same as was used on the Invisible man kit..

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This afternoon I split time between my Aurora Viking contract job and the Bride. After gluing major parts of the bodies together I did a basic test fit of the model. The arms, hands, shoes, heads, etc. are not attached permanently yet as I need to do all the seam work first but this gives a good idea where the build is headed.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So last night and today I started working on removing the seams from the body parts. The seams aren't bad at all but as with any styrene model they do require some work. I first scrape the seam with an x-acto knife, do a bit of sanding, and then apply Bondo body putty as needed. Here are some of the parts with the Bondo still in place. The next step will be to sand down the joints with fine sandpaper and then start doing some assembly of the bodies. As I mentioned previously, there are going to be body joint areas that will require filling with Aves and then doing some minor sculpting in the filled joint. I am going to read through David Fisher's little assembly tutorial that came with the kit to see if he did the same thing and how he handled it. Anyway, here's the picture waiting for the Bondo to cure.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Cripes, Bob, you're ahead of us again! I better get crackin' next week!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not trying to beat anybody at this. I don't consider it a contest or anything but just thought since I had the kit and have been wanting to do it this gave me the impetus to get going on it. I did some clean up and scribing on the creature's head last night and will start painting it today. I will likely start gluing the body parts together in preparation for painting as well. I'm having a lot of fun with this one.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I now have Frankensteins body glued together and here is a picture showing the rather large gap between the lower body and upper torso around the hip area. It is probably a 1/8th inch gap so I will be filling it with Aves. Without filling the gap it would have a rather noticeable separation between the two parts. Other than that the body fit very nicely and went together easily.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Jus' funnin witcha about being ahead of us, Bob! Great to see your progress, sir!

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Nice WIP, Bob.:thumbsup:

I also have this kit, it's primed and waiting for me to start applying color.

Thanks for sharing.

- Denis

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Bob,

You are off to a GREAT start!

the holes in the base are for the door and first Frankenstein kit from them as its the same base.. as to the clear jar parts.. there is space where the rat case was taken out.. its the same as was used on the Invisible man kit..
Ian, thanks for that tidbit of info about the base and jars...I had been wondering about those pieces.

MMM

·
Registered
342 Posts
rkoenn, I see that we are at about the same point! And I see the points where you applied the Aves. I didn't put any putty on the seams in Frankie's boots, but I think the other points where you applied the filler are just about the same. I also used some on the chaise lounge at the seams. But overall the fits weren't bad. On any other kit I would have just gone heavier on the paint in those areas.

I'm going to be working on the back wall tonight. And I'm thinking about filling in the slots on the base for the nameplate. It wasn't used on the prototype and I really think the kit looks better without it. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a bit of work on the kit yesterday as most of my workshop time was spent finishing up my contract job, the vikiing. Anyway, here is a picture of the bride's body with a preliminary coat of white paint, the bride's head primed but I think I need to spend a little more effort on the top of the head seam, Frankie's head painted with the FF bone tan, Frankie's body primed, and one side of the couch with putty in place waiting to be sanded. I am going to try to get some more work done on it today but am not rushing myself.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've been kind of tied up with other priorities lately but I have gotten a bit more work done on my BOF. Here are three pictures of what I've been doing. I hope to devote much more time to it over the next week and get much further along.

Here is the wood floor. I used Liquitex squeeze tube raw umber and ivory mixed for the coloring. I used a wide stiff brush and dabbed it into the two colors mixing some in differing amounts and then brushing down the natural grain of the flooring. I think it turned out pretty good and I got varying color strips similar to real wood rather than a single color. I still need to put a black wash in the board joints and dot the nails with gunmetal.

Here are two shots of the kit fitted together with a bit of paint on it. You can see I still have quite a ways to go on it but most of the priming is done. One point that I am interested in with others building this kit, by far the worst part to remove the seams on for me was the couch joints. While for such big pieces they fit pretty good, I have some significant steps at the seams and it required a fair amount of sanding and a couple of putty applications to finally make them disappear. None of the other parts required near as much work for seam removal. However I will say that it wasn't an intricate job because most of the joints run along fairly flat surfaces so it was mainly elbow grease. I bought some Grumbacher dark crimson paint which I am going to test for painting the cloth/leather parts of the couch. If it doesn't look right I'll have to decide on another color. I tried to find a burgundy but couldn't find that exact color at Michael's.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bob, looks like you're making up for lost ground! I did some seaming on the chaise lounge but find that there are still noticeable seams at the head of the piece. I didn't think it would be that noticeable when it was painted but it is there. Had I known that the seam would show I would have been tempted to make another pass with the seam putty.

As far as the color for the leather section of the chaise goes, I don't know what you think of mine but I used an old bottle of Liquitex Artist Color burgundy and then toned it down with several washes of a Folk Art acrylic called Maple Syrup.

I look forward to seeing your continued progress!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob, looks like you're making up for lost ground! I did some seaming on the chaise lounge but find that there are still noticeable seams at the head of the piece. I didn't think it would be that noticeable when it was painted but it is there. Had I known that the seam would show I would have been tempted to make another pass with the seam putty.

As far as the color for the leather section of the chaise goes, I don't know what you think of mine but I used an old bottle of Liquitex Artist Color burgundy and then toned it down with several washes of a Folk Art acrylic called Maple Syrup.

I look forward to seeing your continued progress!
I put Bondo on the length wise seams at least twice and in some places three times I believe. The Bondo sticks to the undercoat paint just fine, after I sanded it down some, and I think I finally removed all the seams. But as you say, there were some nasty seams along the couch and thank goodness the surfaces were basically pretty flat which made all that sanding much easier.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts