Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...as I normally do, I will try to document as best as I can my steps along the way during this build.

Starting with pics of the boxart:

Front of Box:

Back of Box:

Side of Box:

Inside of Box Still Packed:

My next steps will be to give all the parts a soapy wash and rinse to clean them.

MMM

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry I have not had any updates...been very busy. While working (and it has rained off/on quite a bit) and not having time to get started, I ordered a new resin base for the kit from Cult...I decided this was my best option for this kit.

Back Wall Comparison:

Bottom of Base or Floor Comparison:

New Back Wall and Base together:

As you can see, there will be a lot more room and it will also be truer to the movie as well.

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
MMM, so the base also includes a replacement resin wall as well? That at least makes it worth more, maybe almost what Cult charges, for it. I think I am going to have to order one as a one week late birthday present from my wife!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes...it includes both the back wall and floor as shown.
This was also a birthday gift from my wife to me...

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Yes...it includes both the back wall and floor as shown.
This was also a birthday gift from my wife to me...

MMM
Happy belated birthday then! Yours is the 13th I see, mine was the 12th.

·
Registered
342 Posts
MMM, Happy Birthday!

And Happy Birthday to Bob, too!

The difference between the two bases is pretty extreme, isn't it? The comparison shots clearly show the difference. And while the kit overall is a gem the new resin base that you got exhibits that Moebius knew the base they included with the kit was below par and needed to be both deeper and higher. It's a bit distasteful that they would sell a separate base as an after market item.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OMG...***EDIT*** I stand corrected. This is Moebius's resin base sold on CultTVMan's website.

All I am saying is that "this resin base" really enhances the kit!

The plot thickens! Now all I can say is "really"?

MMM

·
Registered
342 Posts
MMM, here's the link to Moebius' website ---

http://www.clubmoebius.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1008

And the accompanying copy reads, "1/8 scale resin base designed to be used with any kit needing an upgrade. Fits perfectly with many Moebius kits, as well as kits from any manufacturer. Filled resin, hand cast in the Moebius labs deep in metropolitan DeLand…"

And it is the base that you just got. And it does enhance the kit. It will look good, but it's the base the kit should have had to begin with.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
MMM, here's the link to Moebius' website ---

http://www.clubmoebius.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1008

And the accompanying copy reads, "1/8 scale resin base designed to be used with any kit needing an upgrade. Fits perfectly with many Moebius kits, as well as kits from any manufacturer. Filled resin, hand cast in the Moebius labs deep in metropolitan DeLand…"

And it is the base that you just got. And it does enhance the kit. It will look good, but it's the base the kit should have had to begin with.
Holy #$%@!:eek:

This really changes my view of things! WOW! Thanks for pointing that out as I really didn't think this was offered by Moebius!

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I ordered mine today so if I'm lucky I'll have it by Friday or Saturday. I guess that means the floor and wall are now on hold, a bit of a pain as I had already painted the wood floor and primed the wall.

·
Registered
342 Posts
MMM, thank you. I was hoping you wouldn't get mad at me for pointing you toward the Moebius site. What I love is that they're selling the base for any kit "needing an upgrade."

Having said that I'm positive when you and Bob get your kits done they're going to look great on this base.

As you know, I'm making my own base. But I SHOULD have just gone ahead and bought this one. By the time the dust settles I'm going to have an investment of about $25 in Sculpey alone and hours of my time. But it was the principle of the matter for me. It's the same reason I roll my own cigarettes instead of getting hammered with the taxes on them. It's the principle. That and the joy I get out of banging my head into a brick wall. Trust me, I'm not cheap. Since getting back into the hobby this summer I've bought a couple dozen new kits that I missed while on hiatus so ordering the base woulnd't have been a big deal.

Yeah, I should have just done it.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Personally, Cap, I enjoy making my own bases for certain projects...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The resin base is really nice, but a self constructed base is uniquely yours and one of a kind.

I'm looking forward to color choices on the figures in these threads. What an awesome kit.

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
...As you know, I'm making my own base. But I SHOULD have just gone ahead and bought this one...
Ohhhhh no ya shouldna! I went over why in my post on your thread, Cap.

Triplem, your comparison photos were very useful. If and when I get this model, you and the Captain will have saved me a lot of work looking up blind alleys. I'm very anxious to see how your projects turn out!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I figured it was time for an update although I don't think that there is much to see yet.
With everyone busy working on their kits, I felt I should at least let everyone know my progress and where I am.

I have been busy assembling the halves of the brides body, arms, head and Franks body, arms and boots and head. I assembled the couch and have been working on removing seams and filling gaps with putty and sanding. The fit was actually very good on these parts with very little gaps at all. The only gap was above Franks legs where it meets his torso and I just added putty there to cover it. I used the same as others did and used Testors Contour Putty because it has a long tip to get in the area without all the mess!

Not much to see there. Did you really want me to snap pics of this process?

I assembled the resin replacement base and pinned the back wall and bottom together and then super-glued them so they are nice and tight.

I decided to get some primer on the figures, couch and wall/floor and this is where I am so far...

Base:

Couch on Base:

Base with figures just positioned there...nothing glued down yet:

And some close ups:

MMM

·
Registered
342 Posts
MMM, that's something to see! I thought the point of this build was to see the progress every step of the way! It's looking sweet! Which gray primer did you use?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You actually want to see me use putty and sand stuff? LOL!

The first pic of just the base is closer to the actual gray color...for some reason the ones with the figures on it look darker...

I used 2 different primers...the gray you see is Rust-oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2X Coverage Primer. This stuff works great!

With Frankenstein...I used a Flat Black Krylon DUAL Paint and Primer in one...I also love how this covers and it saves me a step as well.

MMM

·
Registered
342 Posts
See you use putty and sand? Is that a code for something? NYUK!

Yeah, I don't know about everybody else but I want to see every step along the way. You never know when you're going to learn the simplest thing that you've never tried before. Never be afraid to talk, but always make sure you listen, right?

I usually use a black Krylon as a primer on kits. But I'll generally go over the blacks on the kit with acrylics because the primer can tend to have a different look than the rest of the paint that I'll use on a kit. But for half my kit I guess I'm going to be running out to grab a can of Rustoleum gray to use as a primer coat!

Thanks for the tip! See? I listened and I learned something!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But I'll generally go over the blacks on the kit with acrylics because the primer can tend to have a different look than the rest of the paint that I'll use on a kit.
That is what I love about this Black DUAL paint and primer. It looks different than regular primer. It looks more like a matte black paint but has bite to it like primer. It is not real dull like black primer usually looks.

MMM

1 - 20 of 30 Posts