Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the kit.

Parts have been scrubbed with an old toothbrush/soapy water and rinsed. This removes mold-release agents that can interfere w/paint and putty.

Dry fitted the arms and head to the torso/legs casting and dremeled off interference. Drilled and pinned arms and head to torso using some tiny screws I found laying around the hobby dungeon. I used side cutters to lop off the heads of the screws.

~RK~

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Good choice Roy! :thumbsup:

I also have this kit so I'll be watching closely! Post lots of pics of your progress!

MMM

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That should be pretty cool. Look forward to seeing it built. I have to wonder though, not only how he exited that spacecraft, but how did he even fit inside it! :confused: :lol:

HAL9001-

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I know you'll do well with what you have there, Roy, but - where are the wrinkles in the suit? The zipper? Ray Corrigan's chin sticking out of the mask?

Sheesh...who sculpted this thing anyway, somebody competent??? :hat:

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McGovern the nit picker..... sheesh! :drunk:

More progress tomorrow, I hope.

~RK~

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
I know you'll do well with what you have there, Roy, but - where are the wrinkles in the suit? The zipper? Ray Corrigan's chin sticking out of the mask?

Sheesh...who sculpted this thing anyway, somebody competent??? :hat:
Um...Joe Laudati...a very talented sculpturer!

This is a very cool kit...even without the zipper and wrinkles in the suit!

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Another one I'll be watching with interest as those are a series of very nice kits although I don't have any, at least I don't yet. I've seen a couple of these built up and they looked great. It is classic Aurora scale, isn't it?

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moving along. Gaps between arms and shoulders filled w/Magic Sculpt.

Then mostly primered.

I'm looking for seams and holes that need to be filled and/or sanded.

~RK~

·
Registered
342 Posts
Roy, IT looks like a great kit! It reminds me of something Bette Midler said at the Grammy Awards back in the 1970s. She was wearing a hat that was made out of a 45 rpm record. She said that the record was by the Del Vikings, that it was a good record but it made a better hat! The kit looks really good and it's going to be fun to watch your progress on it! It was a good movie, but it makes a much better model kit!

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A bit more progress. Base coats.

I base coated the base with black, brown, tan and red. The rocket/electrode things were base coated with black then over sprayed with silver.

IT! was base coated with tan. Everything done so far is with rattle cans.

(Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos.) Better photos uploaded!

~RK~

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
...Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos.
Well, they're the only bad things about the build you've shown us so far. I applaud your use of rattle cans for your base coats - hardware brands, perhaps?

And I have to disagree with Cap'57: I don't think this kit would make a very good hat (or did I skim through his post too fast?). :tongue:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mark, I didn't say anything about skim milk.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I like the look of the base, Roy. It's pretty cool that you got that effect with just spray paint. Sweet!

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, they're the only bad things about the build you've shown us so far. I applaud your use of rattle cans for your base coats - hardware brands, perhaps?......... :tongue:
Spray paints are Krylon, same as the primer.

~RK~

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I couldn't stand the bad photos in post #14 so I uploaded better ones. They show the coloring much better. :)

~RK~

1 - 20 of 68 Posts