Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this is my WIP thread for the Moebius Models Bela Lugosi as Broadway’s Dracula kit. I plan to do the build up pretty much straight out of the box with a Basil Gogos inspired paint job.

So far I read through the instructions, including the cool mini AFM that came with the kit, and I gave the parts a nice soapy bath.

I don’t have a designated work bench so progress on this build will be slow, but I’m counting on the energy generated by the community build to inspire me to see the project through. :thumbsup:

John

Here is the kit along with the book that is my inspiration for this build.

Lots-o-goodies in that box!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ah! Bela a la Gogos! But which Gogos? Somebody did a Frankenstein bust like that a couple of years ago. I saw photos of it and it was pretty stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with Bela!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Cap, I don't plan on trying to copy any particular Gogos painting. I want to just see if I can play with the colors and light effects like he does in his paintings. It should be interesting, I've never tried anything like this before. I can see how a bust would lend itself more readily to Gogos treatment than a full figure kit, but I'm looking froward to the challenge. I hope to make some headway into building this weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made some progress on the build. I started doing some test fitting and gluing together sub-assemblies. The torso is not going to get glued together until after some painting is done.

I also began sanding some of the seams. I use a combination of X-acto scraping, metal files and Testors sanding films. I'll use Aves Apoxie Sculpt for any filling that's required.

Here's one way to handle Drac’s rat problem.

I hope to get some paint on the kit this weekend, primer at the very least. My thought is to start the painting with the base first. The torch on the wall is really going to influence how the colors will lay on the kit. I’m also going to paint the kit as if there is light coming off of a foreground torch, somewhere ahead and to the left of Drac (our right if we are looking at the kit head on). Most of the paint will be acrylic craft paint, but I plan on experimenting a lot with oils on this build.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm really looking forward to watching your progress on this kit! I picked up one last month when Moebius had their sale. I've seen photos of buildups and have noticed that some builders seem to have a problem with the fit on the hand that is holding the cape in front of Bela. Does the fit seem okay to you?

And why is that rat in a vice???

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
And you're off and building, John...looking forward to the painting, brother!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really looking forward to watching your progress on this kit! I picked up one last month when Moebius had their sale. I've seen photos of buildups and have noticed that some builders seem to have a problem with the fit on the hand that is holding the cape in front of Bela. Does the fit seem okay to you?

And why is that rat in a vice???
Cap, I've noticed the same hand/cape fit issue on other build ups too. I have not yet glued the arms on but I will be paying very close attention as I test fit the final assembly.
As for the rat, I like to use those clamps to keep a nice tight fit while the glue dries.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
It looks good so far Baragon. You are definitely paying attention to the details. I built the kit about a year ago and I don't recall having any real problems with any of it. The cape was a bit more work than the rest of the kit but I didn't find it that difficult. Mine also won a merit at Wonderfest this year and I recently sold it on eBay for $175 as I am going to get the deluxe version soon and two of the basically same kit take up too much shelf space. I'll be popping in on your build as you go maybe getting ideas for when I do the deluxe kit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oh --- I thought maybe the rat had just been very bad.

Yep, I've seen builds of this kit where the cape seemed to be floating about a quarter inch above Bela's hand. I'm curious to see what you find when you fit the pieces together. The other thing that struck me about the kit was that the cape had no material folds. After seeing some of the work that is being done here I've thought that if I built the kit I would add some folds with putty.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Cap, I've noticed the same hand/cape fit issue on other build ups too. I have not yet glued the arms on but I will be paying very close attention as I test fit the final assembly.
As for the rat, I like to use those clamps to keep a nice tight fit while the glue dries.
Yeah I caught this problem and was able to correct it before the glue set up. It was the one thing I found on this otherwise outstanding kit that I thought woulda/coulda/shoulda been done better.

The issue stems from the loose fit of the 'fist' arm mounting tab into its mating slot in the shoulder. The slot is over-sized so the tab/slot fit is 'sloppy'. So it may not fall into the sweet spot or correct position from build to build of the kit. Just guessing but the loose fit may have something to do with how the arm is positioned for the soon to be released 'Deluxe" kit.

I don't know how far along you are in your build but here is the way I got around the problem:

Note: This all goes better if you do it before doing any painting.

1. Build the cape first and let the glue cure completely. Build the body without the head so that it is easier to get the cape on and off.

2. Use Testor's tube glue to attach the arms. Tube glue takes longer to set up than liquid cement so you'll have more time to adjust the arm positions if needed.

3. Once the arms are cemented slip the cape onto the shoulders. Start by positioning the fist into the cape first then gently wrap it around and onto the other shoulder. If the fit looks wrong put your fingers up under the cape and move the arms to carefully correct the position. Once you get them where they look right I suggest leaving the cape on until the arm glue completely cures. After that, remove the cape and proceed to painting or whatever you planned to do next.

Hope that helps. I really like this model and am enjoying watching your build.

Regards,
MattL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip Spockr!
I was hoping to get some building done today,but a community yard sale and a laser tag birthday party got in the way.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Barry,

I hope I'm not posting this too late, but I suggest that you don't make extra work for yourself by smoothing over all the seams of Drac's clothing. The joint of the arms to the shoulders is one example; look at any shirt or jacket and you'll see that the arms are indeed attached as separate parts, just like the model. The seams of the inside of the arms might be a stretch, but I usually leave them and only smooth over those on the outside or fronts of the arms.

I have this kit but haven't started on it yet, so I'm also anxious to see your progress.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Mark,
So far I've only dealt with the arm seams, I'll keep your tip in mind when I get to the shoulders. They did a nice job of putting the kit seams where the clothing seams should be on this, especially the pants. Another nice feature is the sole of the shoe is a separate piece, so the only sanding required for the shoes is at the spru connection.
The cape will require the most putty and seam work on the kit, nothing a little Aves can't handle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!
I hope to get some putty on the cape this weekend. I have not built the Aurora Drac since I was a kid but I remember not being a big fan of that cape. I really need to dig one of the reissues out of the stash and get it built one of these days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now have all of the subassemblies glued together that will be glued together prior to any painting. The next step is to finish the cleaning and seam work before the prime coat goes on. The following pictures show the individual subassemblies and a test fit of the whole kit.

Here is a close up of Drac’s head. You can see that I could have been a little more careful gluing parts of the cape together, which will make more work for me with the Aves.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Barry,

The important thing is, you got the cape to fit. The seam was going to be there regardless. It's not like you're going to have to go broke to buy enough Aves to fill that extra little gap. You probably already know this, but roughing up the area where you'll apply the putty with maybe 220-grit sandpaper will give the Aves more "tooth" to stick to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts