Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I was able to sneak in under the wire for one more build. This is a project that I have been wanting to do for a couple of years but could never get motivated enough to take it on.
What do you get when you combine Endsville Eddie:

With this?

Phil the Phabulous Phantom Phlyer of course. I know this is a little bit off the figure kit thing but I like Weird-ohs and F-4 Phantoms so I hope to successfully merge the two.
Els

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Els,

Under the wire! Very cool to do another so you can continue to join the fun!

I can't wait to see what you do with Eddie!

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I loved those weird-ohs when I was growing up and had a couple of them. Back in the '70s and '80s at our model rocket contests I would build up a Freddy Flame-out to give as the best prang (a rocket that bites the dust in an inflight disaster) during the contest awards presentations. I had two or three Silly surfers and a couple of Weird-ohs during the '60s when I was building models as a kid. I can't wait to see what you come up with for this one. You always create something impressive.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. I will definitely be taking a little longer to get this done because I put off another build to work on the vampire. Now I am trying to work on it and Phil at the same time.
Bob, I still love the Weird-ohs. They are pretty cheap and they are basically a blank canvass that can be converted to just about anything. I have built about 5 or 6 of them if you also count the Silly Surfers and whatever the ones that made up a band were called. That was a good idea using Freddie Flameout for your Prang awards. I bet the people who received them got a good laugh after the sorrow of losing a rocket.
Today I glued Phil's body together so that I could get an idea of how much I would need to widen the F-4. I like how they made the face a one piece on this kit instead of their usual spliting it down the middle. Once that was done I got the saw out and started chopping the F-4.

After thise pictures I ended up chopping another inch out of the plane. I then spread the parts where I wanted and started using old sprue to brase it up. Then I cut a hole for the left leg.

I am trying to decide if I want the tail of the aircraft to be bent up in the air as an homage to the Eddie box art or down and slightly to the side like when you were riding your bike in gravel and slamed on the breaks. You know how the bike would slide a little to one side or the other.
Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.
Els

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Captainmarvel it may be great to watch but modifying this plane is a real pain in the A$$! It is fun trying to figure it out though.
I worked on Phil a bit. I started to add something to indicate a survival vest. He needed something to fill the big open space of the front of his torso.

I have started to fill in some of the gaps where I am widening the aircraft.

I have also decided to shorten the aircraft even more. I have also added the engine from the Eddie kit. I still has to have the flavor of a Weird Ohs kit.

I was looking at the wings today and I am not sure what to do with them. They will have to be narrowed and shortened. I might use some 1:72 F-4 wings.
Els

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
This looks like it's going well!

That's the thing with converting...you really have to use extra brain power to think these things out...like fit and finish.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's looking great! I wish I had seen some of this work about a month ago. I could have picked up a Moebius Mummy kit for aboiut $10 and passed on it. I don't think the Karloff figure looks like he's the right scale for his sarcophagus. He's about a half inch too short. If I'd seen this thread a month ago I would hav bought the kit, sawed Imhotep apart at the waist, and added the additional height to him.

Wonderful work!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have been hard for me to pass up a Moebius Mummy kit for $10.
I started bracing the inside for the brass I will use to make this an inflight mode.

The initial gaps were filled with the little bit of Aves that I had left. After I ran out of Aves I was too lazy to drive to a store to buy some epoxy so I started filling the rest of the gaps with a couple layers of Bondo.

It is starting to take shape.
I also decided to change Phils Phace. I want him to be grimacing while he is trying to give it more left rudder and smoking a cigar.
I glued some sheet styreen behind the teeth on one side.

And started filling in the old mouth with Bondo.

Once that is dry I will use some files to fine tune the mouth.
Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.
Els

·
Registered
342 Posts
Now I'm just as interested in seeing the finished face as I am the plane! A friend of mine who is a well known maritime artist will build a model ship from time to time. His comment on alterations? You're the artist, regardless of whether it's a canvas or a model kit. Do what you want to with the kit and just have fun with it. Seeing what you're doing, Els, combined with my friend's comment, is emboldening me to try things I've never done to a kit before.

On the Moebius Mummy kit --- it just seemed to me that the scale of the figure wasn't proportionate to the scale of the sarcophagus. To my eye he looks like he is a bit dwarfed inside the sarcophagus. Had I seen what you're doing here a couple of weeks ago I would have bought that kit and added some height to him. A bit at the waist, a bit at the knees. In retrospect it would have been fun to attempt that.

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
On the Moebius Mummy kit --- it just seemed to me that the scale of the figure wasn't proportionate to the scale of the sarcophagus. To my eye he looks like he is a bit dwarfed inside the sarcophagus. Had I seen what you're doing here a couple of weeks ago I would have bought that kit and added some height to him. A bit at the waist, a bit at the knees. In retrospect it would have been fun to attempt that.
If you watch the movie again, or look at photos online, you'll notice Karloff didn't exactly fill the sarcophagus. Regardless, the figure is a little short, and the shape of the sarcophagus itself differs from the film prop. Also, the figure is sculpted with it's legs bound together; if this were accurate to the movie, Imhotep couldn't have gone "for a little walk" in the opening sequence. Still, it's a nice kit, and people who weren't intimately familiar with the movie probably wouldn't notice it's inaccuracies.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that I am done with my Jet Corsair and am over the flu, I am going to get back to work on Phil.
I chopped the 48 scale wings down to what you see on the left to fit Phil's Phantom.

I am trying to find a way to mount them to the aircraft now.
Els

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found some time to work on Phil.
The wings are now attached to the aircraft. I also ground away some of the plastic around the face where I plan to do some sculpting tonight with the Aves. I also started building up some layers for the visor housing on the helmet. The base has been roughed together and Phil is finally able to take to the skies.

I have decided to make a rudimentary ejection seat. I used some of the kids air drying clay to make the parachute container and Phil's cigar.

Tomorrow I will post some pictures of my sculpting on the face. I am no sculpter so it should be interesting to see how it turns out.
Els

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
...Tomorrow I will post some pictures of my sculpting on the face. I am no sculpter so it should be interesting to see how it turns out.
Els
In that regard, you and I are in the same camp. I have a mental image of how I want my sculpt to look, but I don't really have enough experience or practice under my belt to translate that into three dimensions. On the plus side, sometimes it turns out better than what I had in mind. :lol:

I've really enjoyed seeing how your project is shaping up, and I'm looking forward to seeing your continued progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I thought about this build after my post and, speaking of sculpting, I was wondering if we're going to see any afterburn coming out of the back of that jet? Seems to me that this kit just screams out for it!

And, Zombie, you sculpted a fine looking snout on your werewolf, so I think you're just being modest.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts