Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in the main CB post, since I am going to finish the Bride shortly I pulled another unique kit from my stash to build as my 2nd CB. It is the '60s release of Revell Ed Roth's Mother's Worry. I picked it up off eBay a couple of years ago. I really loved these Roth creations, along with Rat Fink himself, when I was growing up back in the '60s so this will be a great nostalgia build for me. Here is the kit box and the contents. I'll be going relatively slow on this one as I have other projects on the bench I'd like to do first or in parallel so it will likely be 2-3 months before I complete this guy. And this will pretty much be an OOB.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
This should be a cool build to see.

I have one of these in the stash as well...

Glad to see that you are going to still have something to work on for the CB through the months of Oct, Nov, Dec...

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well since I finished the Bride my workshop has been calling me. So I opened the plastic bag and laid out the parts to show what I'm starting with. It is a fairly simple build but being a '60s era kit it does look like some significant seam work. But I am looking forward to this one as a great nostalgia build. I also have 3 or 4 other projects on the bench I am going to be spending time on as well as starting a Ghostbuster's Ecto 1 my son got me for my birthday. You might be able to tell I really enjoy going out to the workshop.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a little work on my Mother's Worry yesterday and today. I took a hiatus from building after the marathon sessions last week and early this week on the Odd Job and Bride kits and I've spent a lot of time doing computer repairs which is my sideline that helps support this hobby. Anyway, I took a good look at how I will build the kit. Of course everyone figures out the best way to assemble and paint it for an optimum build. It is a fairly simple kit but typical of '60s kits will require a fair amount of seam work. I started assembling the car and you can see how simple it is. Other than all the air inlets on the engine the car is only about a dozen parts and what you see in the pictures is a goodly part of the body assembled. The drum in the picture simply glues to the rear wheel struts and I'm going to paint it chrome. The other picture is the figure and shows the front body half, mouth insert, and right arm. I think I am going to paint the mouth interior prior to gluing it in which needs to be done before gluing the body halves together. Then I'll stuff it with paper towel when painting the body itself. So here's the pics:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've still been taking a break and not hitting the shop as hard as I usually do but I am making a little progress. I've Bondoed the body and sanded the joints smooth and primed it. I am going to pretty much follow the box art color scheme so the body will be painted a metallic yellow or such. The second picture is the body fit together with the mouth insert painted ready to glue inside. You have to glue it in prior to gluing the body halves together. I also have the arm with hand glued together and fitted in place as well. I used Aves on the wrist joint as there was a fairly big step gap there. A couple more pics. I also started my Ecto-1 and have a bit of work done on it as well.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well obviously I haven't been in the shop too much for the last few days but I did get a couple of hours yesterday. I now have the figure fairly well ready to start painting. As I said before I painted the mouth insert prior to gluing the body halves together. The picture below shows the body basically ready to paint. I sanded down the seams and Bondoed them in preps for painting. Also I Silly Puttied the inside of the mouth to prevent paint from messing it up. Now I will prime it and then start painting it. It is probably going to require quite a bit of hand detailing. I am sticking with the box art color scheme so he will be purple and I picked up some Testors Acryl purple from Hobby Lobby Wednesday. I'll probably have to make it lighter with white but that should work out ok.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Once again time in my shop has been limited plus I have three other projects on the bench so progress on Mother's Worry is proceeding slowly. Here are a couple of pics of the figure and car partially painted. The car is going to be easy but the figure is going to require a lot of detailed hand painting. I mixed up a purple skin color using FF paints mixing a darker purple with white to get a light purple I am fairly happy with. Now I'll likely paint in the crevices in his skin with the fine Badger and the dark purple. The car is simply yellow with the engine and other body parts blacks and silvers. The rear of the tires is open and I am thinking I'll cut some styrene discs to fill in the rear side. This is a fun model and a great memory build. Here's a couple of pics.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I knew you were going to have fun with the colors you used on this build, Bob! It's a fine lookin' shade of purple! In a way it reminds me of the Marx figures of these kinds of characters that were around dime stores in 1964!

And when was the last time you heard anybody use the term "dime store?" Five and ten?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought some models and Testors enamels back in the early '60s from the downtown Tarpon Springs McCrory's dime store. I can't remember the cost but they were cheap. I believe the enamels in those small bottles, the same bottles as are on the shelves today, were about 15 cents. I just bought a bottle at Hobby Lobby last week, albeit with the 40% discount, and I believe a bottle now is about $3.89. I bought most of my things back then with lawn mowing money I earned. I remember a couple of Silly Surfers, lots of Roth and McDaniel's custom car kits, and a couple of Aurora monsters. I had a double decker shelf over my bed on the wall and I pretty well filled it up. I never did have a Mother's Worry but had a couple of Roth's show cars.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Really enjoying your WIP on Mother's Worry!! I also loved the Ed Roth "Rat Fink" kits back in the 60's!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting!!

- Denis

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've spent 3 or so hours in the shop today. Besides this guy I have an Ecto-1 and AMT Man in Space set on the bench but this one got most of my attention today. I did some more detail work on the figure but there is still a lot more to do. I also started to cut styrene disks for the back of the tires as they come with the back side completely open. It won't make much difference but it looks a little better. I also found out I need to go back to the car body and paint the rear and front struts black. It will help to break up the monotonous yellow. I am going to look online for some flaming decals I could cut for the sides of the car body from the firewall back. I am having fun with this kit but all the detail work is coming up now, the easier parts I've already done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
McCrory's --- we didn't have any of that chain in the Cleveland, Ohio, area, Bob. But we had Woolworth and Kresge's. I got my first model kit, an Aurora Frankenstein, at a Woolworth's. Seems to me that the next batch, which were the other four Aurora monster kits that were out at the time, came from a Grant's five and ten.

But I soon wised up and only bought kits and paints at discount stores. A ninety-eight cent kit would only be sixty-nine cents in a discount store and Testor's paints were only a dime a bottle!

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
...I also started to cut styrene disks for the back of the tires as they come with the back side completely open. It won't make much difference but it looks a little better...
"It won't make much difference..." Sez you. It's the attention paid to little details like this that makes all the difference. Besides, it's a reasonably easy modification, and you know it would bug you every time you looked at the finished build if you didn't do it.

Your paintwork on the figure looks great so far! I think the color you mixed for the purple fleshtone is about as close as anyone could get, and by the time you're done with the detail painting it'll probably be a perfect match to the box art.

One of the great things about kits like this is that it's even fun to watch someone else build one! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well most of my shop time is on this guy and a big part of that is he is fun. I did some more detail work on him by shading him with my fine airbrush with Testors purple paint and then a bit of dry brushing. I did work around the eyes and the next step for those are to brush Future on them and then try a red wash to bring out the blood shot veins. I put a green wash on his hair to bring out the depth and it looks pretty good up close. He also has a baseball hat which will go on later. I've finished the engine and glued it to the body. Besides the steering wheel there is a dice shifter on a long staff that fits under his right hand. I have the backs of all the tires filled with the styrene disks and the next step will be to paint them gloss black and then spray the rims with chrome Alclad. After that I will cover the rims with silly putty and spray them with black. I also want to do the side walls so maybe I'll do that and silly putty them and finish with black. I've done side walls by hand but it isn't fun. Here's another progress picture. We are off to Austin starting next Sunday for Austin Comic Con and a week with our older son and I'd like to get this guy under my belt before we leave.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, Bob, he has a winning smile! Looks to me like you got some subtle shading with your Testors paints. That's impressive.

I haven't used enamels on kits since the mid 1970s. When I started building kits again in the late 1980s I began using acrylics. My memories of Testors enamels is how messy they were when I was a kid and how I would sit in school the next day with remnants of whatever paint I used the night before on my hands. You could scrub and scrub and scrub and even use turpentine or nail polish remover to try to get the stuff off and there would still be some remnant of it somewhere.

Is Testors still an enamel paint?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts