Hobbyist Forums banner

CB 2012: 2001 1/32 scale EVA Pod

5K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr. Brad 
#1 ·
Here's what you get when you buy Captain Cardboard's excellent 1/32 scale EVA pod.

And in the box:

I'll be lighting the kit (shouldn't be too hard), but, since it's resin, it will need a good cleaning. Flash needs to be cleaned up, of course. It's a very simple kit, but at least committing to a community build like this increases the chance of me actually finishing it this year!

See less See more
#4 ·
My favorite scifi movie of all time which I saw in the summer of '68 when it was released in Tampa in Cinerama, totally amazing experience for a 15 year old space nut. That is a very nice model and I've thought about getting it sometime. It would look great on the shelf with my two other 2001 models. May I ask what the cost if for it? I'll be very interested to watch your build.

#5 ·
Hi Bob:

Sorry for my absence from this thread. Getting back to it now. It was definitely more than I wanted to pay - it was about 72$ from Cult. It was, honestly, a lot, but I couldn't afford the bigger versions of the kit from Scott, and they're not available right now, anyhow. And it is a beautiful little kit. I just hope I can do it justice!

#6 ·
And ... finally able to do a little work on the kit! I've been so busy there's hardly been any time for the space pod.

So, for a bit of recap, here's another look at the parts, the base, and the lighting supplies.

Determining which LEDs to use and the resistor needed was easy! I didn't do it. I went to an electronics store, told someone what I needed, and he kindly calculated all the values for me.

As you can see in the picture above, I've decided to use Round 2's dome base that they sell separately. But, because of the wiring, I'll be substituting a hollow brass tube for the solid one supplied in the kit.

The kit was quite clean, but some clean up was required here and there, as you can see from this pic.

I sanded very, very carefully!

#7 ·
The manipulator arms had me worried.

But, with careful use of a razor saw, hobby knife and some sandpaper, I got them apart looking like they're supposed to look. Just need to go over them with a finer grade of sandpaper.

I also spent some time slightly enlarging the holes for the lights so that the 5mm LEDs would fit well.

That's it for now. More work on it tonight, I hope!

#11 ·
AAAUUGH!!!!! I tested the lights last night after doing some detail painting and .... only two of the five work (they're wired in parallel). They worked 48 hours ago! I've lit kits before and nothing like that happened! And there is no way to fix them without tearing the thing apart - and it would be very, very hard to put Humpty back together again!

Well, lesson learned (I think). I'll improve how I do things somehow! Make sure solders are right, shrink tubing is in place, joints are strong. Sigh. Anyhow, I'll finish it! Not that important in the grand scheme of things, but disappointing! I wanted this kit for quite some time, and I wanted to do a great job! Oh well! At any rate, at least it will still make a nice display model - sort of.

#13 ·
Well, good news, sort of. Replaced the nine volt battery with a new one, and all the lights work. But one is definitely brighter than the others, which means I screwed up with the resistors. Still, all is not lost! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take some off so I won't get it done before the deadline? What's the punishment for that? :)

#14 ·
The "punishment" is that you have to continue this thread until the kit's finished regardless of whether that happens before or after the deadline. :D

Y'see, mine won't be finished by the 31st either, but I'm gonna keep posting in my w.i.p. thread until it's done or until someone locks the thread to prevent me from doing so. :dude:

#17 ·
Preliminary Pics

Thought I'd post these pics just so you all know that I've actually done some work on this. :)

Sorry about the quality of the pics - they were taken with my phone. Still some details to paint, decals to be added and sealing. But at least I'm getting closer! Will be finished in early January!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.