Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I guess this will be my show and tell thread. I am new to the resin body scene and I haven't painted a slot body in at least 15 years. I named my garage cattywampus because stuff I do hardly ever ends up quite right. So sit back and enjoy my pain. :tongue:

So we will start off with a 55 Buick resin I purchased to compete in a race class they call Fairgrounds. I was told it had to be a 50's body from a specific vendor. The vendor is Butch's Resin Bodies So I get it and the posts need to be "glued in." So I took a bare t-jet chassis, put axles/wheels/tires on it and cut the posts down that he included and screwed the posts to the chassis and epoxied them on. Turns out I got the back of the car a little crooked and one wheel opening was higher than the other, and the front was a tad to low and I had tire rub.

The good side

The bad side

So next up I was sanding the openings by hand and felt I was getting nowhere so in my infinite wisdom decided to fire up my dremel. With different size sanding drums at my disposal I settled on one for the rear openings and had the dremel on its lowest setting and barely touched the body and they came out good. I then switched to a smaller drum to do the fronts and one went fine and the left front not so much. The body kinda slipped in my fingers and in my desperation to not drop it I pulled it into the spinning sanding drum.
So it got kinda big.

Good side

Bad side

So I'll leave it at that and later today I hope to prime it and get some paint on it.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Hey FastZ28, welcome to the Forum and the world of SlotRacing. And I love Dirttrackers and Fairgrounds specials, and yours is Perfect, can't make mistakes with this Class of Racing, as it's rough and tumble bang 'em up hammer 'em out- all the way. Thanks for sharing your build with us, and I'll be looking forward to seeing what rolls out of your shop :)

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Welcome to HT!

I am sure you will fit in quite nicely around here and
we're glad to have ya!

Thank you for the blow by blow on your resin build.
We really like those around here. Had you been sitting next to me
as I read your story, you'd have heard an audible groan as
I read "infinite wisdom" and "fired up my dremel", and as like 'Doba, been there-
done that, got the T-shirt. :thumbsup:

Do you have a set of jewelry files?
http://www.amazon.com/Needle-Files-...&qid=1340457515&sr=8-1&keywords=jewelry+files
Sandpaper has its uses, generally for smoothing
or creeping up on an area while removing material. A set of files are cheap and it is
pretty derned hard to have one get away from you as in your dremel experience.
My files are in constant use. I dont know what I would do without them!

We look forward to seeing your builds!:wave:

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I'll be watching this too! The guys are right about them old fairgrounds racers. Uneven was the norm as budgets were small for most racers, and fenders were trimmed as needed.. If the dent caused interference, the problem was cut away and on to the next race! They hardly ever replaced body panels unless they were completely toast..

I too have had more than my share of slips with the dremel, so as you see, you're not alone!! Welcome to HT, and keep at it!! And remember, practice makes perfect!!

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,702 Posts
Yea, a big welcome FZ28...If ya don't screw up, not sure you would belong here!!! :p:p The man upstairs knows I've had my share!!! All part of the processs. Always glad to see a new shop open up, so bring it on...Hey, just make the other wells a little bigger, easy fix...RM

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Welcome to the madness!

I've always considered the dremel to be a mixed blessing.

My dremel is kept just out of arms reach. Not so far that it's a pain, but just far enough so I to have to think twice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :) And yes I need to get some of the little files.

Well today I started off with the second body I purchased from Butch's resin bods. It is a 74 AMC Hornet ASA racer. I bought this as a gift for my cousin. His first car was a 74 Hornet. So I epoxied the posts in and left the wheel wells alone because I figured he would most likely use it on his fray style car. So I went about cutting out the side windows with my xacto knife and the darn spoiler had sharp corners and kept poking me. So I got the sandpaper and rounded them, much better on the fingers. The side window were really thick at spots and was a slow struggle but I got them with only minor marks to the body from my knife. Then I sanded them to smooth it all out and noticed I broke almost half the rear spoiler away from the body. :( Well this body had a cavity in the back where the tail lights would be so I decided I would fill it in with epoxy and just go clear up the spoiler for support.

So I then washed the hornet and 55 Buick and was trying to figure out how I was going to hold them to prime and paint. I forgot to get putty at the local hobby lobby like someone here does so I came up with this. Here they are primed.

Yes they are toothpicks stuck into styrofoam.

So while they were drying I was checking out my goodies that were delivered today. Two sweet Super Nova bodies from Randy. Thank you!
A bunch of AFX frontends from JW speedparts. So I put a frontend on one of my cars and was turnin some laps. Then back to the bodies, gave them both their first coat of paint.

Then I started tearing down a NOS t-jet for my ECHORSS build. Put all new RTHO gears in it and new dash magnets(after I matched them), wizzard brushes, JW crown gear, afx turbo rear axle, 345 wizzard tires, and a nos t-jet arm that read 16.0,16.0, and 16.1.

Then gave the cars their second coat of paint and here they are.

Close-up of the 55 Buick

Close-up of the 74 Hornet

Then when back to my ECHORSS build and finished it off with stock pick-up shoes springs and wizzard shoes, that I had to take back off and file down the U part that was scraping the track rails. And a RTHO new fancy frontend then I broke it in for a minute or two and started ripping laps. :)

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Looking good FastZ!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've been wanting to snag a couple of Butch's resins, but I never seem to have the funds when he has them listed on the bay. I will eventually snag a 58 Chevy and one of them Buicks!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
FastZ28,

Your cars are looking good, don't worry about the wheel wells they are fairgrounds.Looking foreward to meeting you on the 7th. Come early to practice and get the cars set up for the track.
Bill
P.S.
If you need directions LMK

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well last night I decided to finish them up. My least favorite part, hand painting.:eek: I don't have the steadiest hands so I was just hoping not to mess them up too bad.
For the 55 Buick I wanted to two tone it with silver or white on the roof and on the sides. The more I debated I decided white would be better so the silver wouldn't blend into the bumpers. Well the white did not want to cover the blue very well, so I gave it one coat of white then waited about half hour and tried for a second coat. It sorta wanted to lift the first coat so I just kinda blobbed it on to cover. The silver details weren't too bad, I did some flat black on the grill and head lights and tail lights. Then I thought I would do the windows flat black. Big mistake, it left brush marks all over the windows so I let them dry and went back over them with gloss black and it looks much better. I am calling it done for now, I might decal it up later.

Heres the pics, front and rear.

On to the 74 Hornet, after learning the hard way on the Buick I went straight to the gloss black for the windows, silver parts were easy, and I flat blacked the rear panel and the grill. I was using a toothpick on the grill to keep it off the turn signals and head lights. I decided to do the head lights white and one went good and the other I must have gotten too much paint on the brush cause it ran down off the headlight a little. All in all I think it looks good and my cousin will be happy with it.

Here are a few pictures, front,side, and rear.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Hey, that ain't bad at all, especially for just starting out!!! Don't be so hard on yourself!! As you progress, your skills will improve. :thumbsup::thumbsup: There's tricks for detail painting that you'll pick up along the way.

A lot of how you can do things (and get away with stuff) depend on what you're using for paint. I use lacquer products because it dries quick, and is pretty tough. Once I'm done with the initial paint, I clear coat it. Then I follow up with enamels for the details. As long as you simply apply and not try to move the paint around, it won't bleed through the clear. You do need to be fairly quick and precise. My silver enamel is kind of a hybrid, with some silver lacquer tossed in to help it dry a little quicker. Once that dries, I mist another coat of clear on to seal the deal. Here's the good part of my process.... If I goof up the trim, or get a run, I let it dry and can then wet sand (1000 grit wet/dry paper) the boo boo away. The clear is your barrier between the goof up and your base paint. As long as you didn't work your detail paint through the clear it will pretty much vanish.

Another hint, as you've learned, is plan your colors accordingly. Paint your light colors first, mask them off, and then shoot your darker colors. It's hard to cover darks with lights, and you usually need a primer coat to get away with that. That makes for a lot of paint coats which could lead to other problems like soft paint.

One other trick I'm working on perfecting is to paint my trim paint on before my color coat. This one requires a very gentle touch. Lay down your silver coat on the whole car, and then follow up with a coat of clear, and then lay down your color coat. If you're gentle with the wet sanding, you can sand the highlights of your trim (like the fender/side trim on your buick) down to the clear/silver coat without disturbing the surrounding color coat paint. I've had some successes, and some utter failures doing it this way, but I'm still practicing. :lol:

Like I said, practice makes perfect!! Keep at it!! :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Because my hands are so shaky, I'll cut thin strips of masking tape (makes it easier to bend for gradual curves) to get a good edge... and use 3/4" for the straights. With the combination of those two all, I have to cut in is the tight corners. I've also used friskit (shelf paper too, but sometimes it's too sticky and leaves residue) and liquid friskit (rubber glue too...not the best but cheap). I like slotcarman's idea of shooting a clear...I'll have to try that one sometime. Keep up the good work FastZ28!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts