Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That time of year again, nice, warm days with the windows open instead of the constant drone of AC. And nights dipping way, way down, almost half what the day's high was. You start to notice people coughing too, from forgetting to close their windows before going to bed. You snuggle deeper into the covers, or spoon whoever is next to you instead of getting up to close the window.. Morning is BRISK, but nothing a hot cup of java and a steaming shower won't fix. Day after day, the whole month long, the days are warm and the nights chilly, but, for the most part, we never seem to remember to shut them windows. All summer long we've been looking forward to getting inside, where the AC keeps us cool. In another month or so, all the windows are shut again, and we switch to looking forward to our cozy homes, pre-warmed cars, and throw caution to the wind trying to get into the office before we freeze to death because we've forgotten our hats and gloves again. After New Years, we start thinking of spring & summer, how nice it'd be to get away to someplace warm for a week or 2... Just goes to show ya, the grass IS always greener on the other side of the fence... Fall is the best.. Days almost too hot, and nights almost too cold, but not quite. Just enough to enjoy....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey guinness, this was a great post! I'm fairly new here and was hoping to find some "off topic" threads from time to time.

I absolutely love the Fall time. To be honest my favorite time of year is Oct-Dec. I'm a big kid so I love the holiday time as well.

Last year we had a freak snow storm on Halloween so my town cancelled it for the kids, a few days later it was pretty much perfect and I sat on my porch with a big bowl of candy in a hoodie with the chilly breeze blowing and the smell of wet dead leaves and burning wood coming with it. Just the sounds of the children and hearing them walk through the leaves with glow sticks beaming out of the darkness took me back.

Even with a good central air unit I still don't sleep quite as well in the warmer months, once I can crack my window open a bit and get that "fresh chill" in the room, I am out like a light! I also enjoy it when it gets dark a bit sooner, it seems that night time walks or going out for shopping seem a bit more invigorating.

Now the flip side to this......well I am an avid motorcyclist and live to be mounted on my sport bike. Track days are available well into winter but let's face it, it's not that fun once it starts getting "too cold". Also being darker and colder in the morning is a miserable commute on a bike so I tend to take the Jeep to work...and lose out on the ride time.

Oct-Dec, Sunday football and parties with my family and friends, Holiday season, my train sets come out in preparation for the Christmas Season!!...Then...the inevitable happens. New Years....

Soon I am left with the most depressing of all tasks, putting away all the Christmas decorations. I mean is there anything more miserable then boxing away lights and decorations that provided so much joy and let me reflect on how greatful and lucky I am? I start EARLY...Nov 1, Christmas stuff starts coming out so after New Years, it's time to put all these things I wait year round to see again away.

January...the Super Bowl and International Motorcycle Show...ok I'm distracted.

Feb...more short days that are cold and wet, no football, cant ride a bike, and for a short month it seems as if it will take forever for Spring to come and thaw us out of that ugly grayness.

March...finally there is the slightest hint of Spring, baseball and soon I'll see Cadbury Easter Eggs. Spring is good lol.

For now...I'm just happy it's Oct 1!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts