Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any top favorite castings that you like for some reason - and not even because of the kind of car it is, but you just like it? Maybe it's one you always stop to check out, even if it's a mainline. Maybe it's outside your usual line of interest, or maybe not, but somehow it lands in your shopping cart most of the time? I do.

Here are mine in no particular order...

Shelby Cobra 427
Not so much anymore since the mainlines lost the metal base, but I like this one a lot. And I'm not even a big fan of the 1:1.

Buick Grand National
Always liked the angular 80's design of this casting. Again, not so much anymore as the mainlines lost the removable hood, which I enjoyed. But I have no less than eight of these things to my name.

'68 Mercury Cougar
Another one I really like the lines of. There just aren't enough Cougars - and Harold Sage would agree! :lol: No other Cougars for me though, just the '68.

Vairy 8
Whenever I think of my favorite Hot Wheels, the Vairy 8 always comes to mind. I dig the hood louvers, the air scoop in the back window, the racing seats and mid-mounted engine with velocity stacks, and the big/little tire arrangement. And I'm not a big racing or hot rod fan either. This little car packs a lot of pocket punch even as a mainline. In metal/metal, Real Rider form it's a knock out. in my opinion. See that new Boulevard version? Wowzers!

'67 Pontiac GTO
I've always gotten a kick out of that looong tail on the Hot Wheels GTO, along with the flying buttresses on the back window. Classic muscle car, with just a bit of that classic Hot Wheels cartoonishness.

'63 Studebaker Pickup
I just think this one is really clean and well done. Nice details, and you don't have to be a truck person to like it. I would probably buy any one as long as the tampos weren't wack.

'69 Dodge Charger
Another favorite casting with a subtle Hot Wheels flair, along similar lines of the '67 GTO.

How about yours? :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hey Full Flaps I Totally agree on the 68 Cougar like you said.:thumbsup:
I had one that's why it's special to me and hopefully will again someday.
Although in the last year I've collected more non-cougars than I have cougars.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, after seeing the GMC, I knew the Chevy panel couldn't be far behind! I share your sentiment on the Real Riders.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Beautifully done pix as allways, Sir! Flaps.

Only about one to three Hot Wheels castings catch my eye in a year.

That '64, 5, or 6 GMC Panel Truck is one of them.
It looks like the only thing off from stock is the giant size rear wheel openings, but I can fill those to re-size them.
That, put on a set of stock JL steelies, fix the ride hieght (stock) give it a re-paint (stock of looking of course).

Looks like the rest of the body is proportioned correctly thankfully!!!!!!!
Once done I'll have an extreemly correct looking model of a wicked cool looking truck that no one has yet to make in diecast!

Thanks for the inspiration FF, and if you happen to have the time one day maybe you could snap a pic of the rear?

LMX :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Great topic! I left my thinking cap home tonight, but I'll get back to this tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Although I am a Chevrolet man at heart (mostly Corvette) I have a spot for just about any Javelin/AMX and the 1970 Road Runner. Just love the way they look.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the inspiration FF, and if you happen to have the time one day maybe you could snap a pic of the rear?

LMX :wave:
I would do that, except the above pics were posted by Rattlehed. ;) Thanks for the compliments though. I have one of the Quakerstate GMC's from the Delivery series, and the back end is pretty faithful I think.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I gotta go with that '64 GMC Panel...I've always liked that era truck. I'm old enough to remember when the REAL ones were on the road; I especially like the "suburban" version and have made a couple of my own!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Usually any Vettes, Camaros or ANYTHING with flames. They have to be cool flames though!:wave:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The cars I have bought lately for my personal collection is just the Greased Gremlins and Packin' Pacers. I am not an AMC fan, it is just those are the only castings that are currently made that I like.

I wish they would release the Gremlin Grinder and Poison Pinto into some of the premium series, if not mainline, but so far I have only seen RLC versions. I have liked these castings since I was a kid.

I also wish they would come out with more of the Texas Ride 'Em.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
... I have one of the Quakerstate GMC's from the Delivery series, and the back end is pretty faithful I think.
Ok, awesome! Good to know. Can't wait to get my grimey mitts on one of those.
Ricky, I still owe you one...somethin'! Sorry I dropped the ball, my man. I'll get my head outta my butt one day, and when I do, you'll be very happy!!!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the rest of the body is proportioned correctly thankfully!!!!!!! Once done I'll have an extreemly correct looking model of a wicked cool looking truck that no one has yet to make in diecast!
Man, I wish I had the tools laying around that you have and I would go to town on a few castings myself. I was just looking at the IROC Camaro the other day and picturing how I would shave the oversize back wheel arches, then mold them in the likeness of the normal size front ones. Then cut a t-top into the roof, or even cut the roof completely off for a convertible. Then putty up the details and paint. I have a lot of custom ideas in mind for when the time comes.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Man, I wish I had the tools laying around that you have and I would go to town on a few castings myself. I was just looking at the IROC Camaro the other day and picturing how I would shave the oversize back wheel arches, then mold them in the likeness of the normal size front ones. Then cut a t-top into the roof, or even cut the roof completely off for a convertible. Then putty up the details and paint. I have a lot of custom ideas in mind for when the time comes.
Do it, man!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to see what your creative mid would come up with.
It really doesn't take a lot of toolage.
The only things that cost a little more than a few dollars is a Dremmel and a drill. And don't 4git a jewlers hand-saw, those are a blast for hackin' up diecast and they go through it like buttuh!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've found the HW castings that almost always attract my attention are of the older 20s and 30s cars with the 'swoopy' fenders, etc., such as the old duesenbergs, bugattis, and the like.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I've found the HW castings that almost always attract my attention are of the older 20s and 30s cars with the 'swoopy' fenders, etc., such as the old duesenbergs, bugattis, and the like.
Got a couple of those from the '70s or early '80s. They're not that horrible. Allways wanted to do a more stock transformation with wheels from the JL Hispano~Suiza.

·
Registered
759 Posts
-Any Firebird casting
-'67 Camaro
-'68 COPO Camaro
-'70 Camaro Road Race
-'92 Mustang
-DeLorean (regular and BTTF Time Machine)
-Baja Bug
-Custom VW Beetle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts