Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
The Bad Mudder was released with two versions,
the one shown above is common.

Borrowed image without roof tampo and the #8 on the side is different,
also having blue instead of black surrounding it. .

View attachment 306309

Eric

Cool! Didnt know about that one. I'll submit a Fandom update for it. I noticed the multiple languages in the number tag - so it might also be an international release or an area exclusive as well. Do you have an image of the card back to share?

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
I was reading through the thread and I noted you said that the 67 Chevy II came in two colors. I think it only came in the one color, blue.
I see why you are reading it as two different colors for the Chevy II. I was actually saying I dont have a version of either casting to show. I went back and re wrote that part of the reference. Is it clearer now?

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
This Peterbilt truck was used heavily in the past, as a dump truck, cement mixer, and tanker.
All issued in red at one time or another. Looks like this one lost it's attachment.

This car was released about ten times under various names.
I am not able to see the images that @trollydodger posted and @full flaps quoted but he is right that the Peterbilt cab and base pieces were used for the dump truck, cement mixer and tanker many times over the years.

One must be cautious though with the loose versions of the cement mixer. It was actually released in 1980 (Hong Kong) and 1985 (Malaysia) in the same build colors of red and white with only the country of origin information detail on the base changing from Hong Kong to Malaysia.

The dump trucks were all from Malaysia.

And the Tanker makes for another interesting discussion point in the spirit of the 'splitting of the hair' for a one release casting inclusion. Here, the first version released in 1981 was made in/from Hong Kong. The 2nd identical casting configuration released in 1982 is made in/from Malaysia. The rest of the other Tanker castings are also from Malaysia, but then transition to a painted tank piece. And then different colors for the cab and also graphics.

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
Looking at the ebay image it is also a short card which goes back to the question was it released at the same time as the long card or at a different point in the year.

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
Re: The 'Land Lord' (1982)

While Mattel has had 'no comment', I strongly suspect the car was discontinued for safety reasons. The metal front spoiler is rather knife-like. It can be difficult to find a packaged example where the front spoiler hasn't cut its way through the blister.

Agreed, a nicely done 'one-hit wonder'....a victim of 'Bugatti Veyron syndrome' perhaps??

GspeedR :cool:

Another casting that I cant recall ever hearing about before is the Land Lord. Fandom has it listed as only released in 1982 but with Hong Kong and Malaysia country of origin base versions.

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Looking at the ebay image it is also a short card which goes back to the question was it released at the same time as the long card or at a different point in the year.
Regardless if the car was released 5 minutes or 5 years apart, a variation to anything other than the casting itself is considered a 'different' release of the same casting in my mind.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
24,329 Posts
Regardless if the car was released 5 minutes or 5 years apart, a variation to anything other than the casting itself is considered a 'different' release of the same casting in my mind.

Eric

That's an interesting perspective.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts