Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too all experienced or smarter then I casters....

I have noticed some of my castings have spread open a bit at the bottom after I have poured them. Is this from setting thenm down on the open side? How can I avoid this. I can reshape them ok with hot water but prefer to just be able to skip that step.

Thanks in advance for the help I know willbe forthcoming...

David :confused:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Dave,
Back when I cast, the times I would experience something like this was if my resin mix ratio was off. I was using the Micro Mark product, if all was right, my castings would be rock solid when I pulled them from the mold. If something wasn't quite right, sometimes the body would collapse on itself after I had removed it and sat it out to finish curing. But I could tell those casts weren't right just by the way they came out of the mold.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have had the same problem sometimes too. Sometime I would put the green casting back in the mold overnight and let the casting harden. Worked most of the time

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Two thongs cause what I call a soft casting.

1. Demolding too soon. This is trick you can use to slightly alter a body. Great for making a body look beat up at the races.

2. Mixing ratio is not 1:1 id this is the case leaving it in the mold overnight will normally work.

Roger Corrie

Roger Corrie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts