Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been several post on this subject. but I seem not to be able to find them. My question is, Does more caster give you more steering entering a corner and less center off or less steering entering and more center off??? I know the associated manuals all say gives you more entering and less center off, but I've heard both ways so which is it??

JP

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
67-4-fun said:
Does more caster give you more steering entering a corner and less center off or less steering entering and more center off??? I know the associated manuals all say gives you more entering and less center off, but I've heard both ways so which is it??
The confusion with the caster is how the vehicle response.

If the vehicle feels heavy and unresponsive then you have too much caster.

If the vehicle resonds too quickly, has little feel, slides very easily then you have too little caster.

So, to answer your question, more caster- less streeing enter, center and off.
The opposite is true.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
More caster gives the car more stability (less twitchy) especially on the straightaways. It also causes you to scrub more speed. Lastly it DOES give you more steering entering the corner.

So what's ideal? The ideal amount of caster is the minimum you can run and have the car be driveable and get into the corner. The more caster you have the more speed you scrub. Usually you'll want to run 2 degrees more on the right then the left. I run 0 on the LF and 2 on the RF, as an example.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
But are you talking about Associated 0 degrees, or actual 0 degrees? Associated 0 is the same amount of shims on each side of the caster block which is actually about 2 degrees of negative caster. Am I wrong, or do you guys know what I am talking about? :freak:

Thanks
Joel White

·
Registered
640 Posts
I set my caster by Looking at the upper A-arm in relation with the lower. You can us a small Straight edge with the Chassis setting level. I have seen people us a Drill pin To look at the caster Because its longer and they can see the caster better.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
J-Dub Racing said:
But are you talking about Associated 0 degrees, or actual 0 degrees? Associated 0 is the same amount of shims on each side of the caster block which is actually about 2 degrees of negative caster. Am I wrong, or do you guys know what I am talking about? :freak:

Thanks
Joel White
True. Yes, Associated 0 degree, so correct really closer to 2 degrees.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I use one of the old racetech caster gauges to check mine and I try to run 0 in the lf, actual and like Pat said about 2 more in the rf, so 2 over there. Maybe I should run more outdoors to keep my car from wandering, or maybe it is the driver?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
J-Dub, I think that the way Associated looks at it when the say 0 degrees is 0 caster "split" and not a true 0. With both sides set the same there is 0 split.

·
Registered
450 Posts
vwal said:
I use one of the old racetech caster gauges to check mine and I try to run 0 in the lf, actual and like Pat said about 2 more in the rf, so 2 over there. Maybe I should run more outdoors to keep my car from wandering, or maybe it is the driver?
probably the driver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts