Hobbyist Forums banner

Cash for clunkers list...

2K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Galaxieman 
The Gov. has the right of eminent domain, *Constitutionally*, to *take* whatever property they want without reimbursement. Be thankful they didn't just take the cars and tell you "sorry charlie..." And so there's no mistake, that is part of the original Thomas Jefferson drafted document.

Not quite. Courts have held that eminent domain applies to land primarily, and goods only to the extant required for direct use in wartime (i.e. they need your truck to transport troops).

What's wrong about the Clunkers deal was the fact that it was part of a larger Porkulus Bill that in itself represents a wholly unjustified expansion of the federal government. The Constituation is about ensuring the freedoms of Americans and at the same time restricting the powers of the Federal government. The Clunkers program represents a direct redistribution of wealth from pockets of 10's of millions of taxpayers to the pockets of the 700,000 who bought cars under the program. There is nothing in the Constitution that gives any person the right to take his or her neighbor's money to buy a new horse, cart, or automobile.

I heard something kinda funny/interesting about the cash for clunkers deal---

Supposedly people will have to claim the $3500 or $4500 as income on their 2009 tax returns. That would put a hurt on alot of peoples tax returns or their tax bill. Gotta love the federal government and their "fine print".

Later,

Mark
That goes without saying. I hope none of these people thought they would get the money tax-free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.