Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Although I see a lot of cars on there that might be fixable, I'm not to excited, I'm guessing most of them would need several $1000s in repairs to be a decent car. I was surprised at the number of Corvettes though.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ok, now I'm upset..... according to the government website that supposedly had the "certified mileage ratings" for any and all vehicles my '87 Nissan Maxima got 19 average mpg. ONE MILE PER GALLON TOO MANY TO TRADE!!!!!!

Now you're showing me a list of 225 or so that WERE traded in anyway?!

that's just freak'n great.:mad:

oh well, maybe some other time:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I thought the idea was to get more cars with higher MPG's on the road, but they put an '06 Corolla on the list.

Am I missing something here?

And the high dollar cars, I just don't get that one at all. The seats in some of those cars are worth $4500.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Quite a few 2006 - 2008 trucks on there ... No way they were worth less than $4500 !!! A couple Roush & Foose edition Ford trucks ... Insane !! Lots of Cadillacs & Mopar mini vans were traded in too .. The dealer I work at took in at least 1 '80s Firebird & a couple mid '90s Roadmasters . Some nice cars got ruined in this program ...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wonder how many of the "idiot" trades were relationship induced? I'm thinking divorce..."if we're splitting anyway, I'll just trade in his vette..."

What? Me jaded? What ever gave you that idea? :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder how many of the "idiot" trades were relationship induced? I'm thinking divorce..."if we're splitting anyway, I'll just trade in his vette..."

What? Me jaded? What ever gave you that idea? :)
Very well could be. That or maybe an elderly parent that sold off the kid's car that he'd left in the garage for the past 10 years ("I guessen he forgot about it") after they'd moved out on their own.

·
Registered
674 Posts
3 Excaliburs. At least a couple of hearses, and if some of the Caddy commercial chassis were hearses as well, there are probably more. Limousines. Good night! There were cars whose parts were worth more than $4500. Sheesh, sell to a collector or rod builder or somebody...then take the money and put down on something new. Probably would have come out better in the end on a lot of those deals.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
:mad:The freakin government is outa control. Show me where in the constitution they are allowed to do this and many other things they have done in recent years. It's time to clean out that swamp called D.C. and get some real consitiutionalists in there.:mad::mad:
I had better get off my soap box now or I'll end up banned.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
:mad:The freakin government is outa control. Show me where in the constitution they are allowed to do this and many other things they have done in recent years. It's time to clean out that swamp called D.C. and get some real consitiutionalists in there.:mad::mad:
I had better get off my soap box now or I'll end up banned.
Although i don't agree with the destruction of a lot of the cars, where does it say in the constitution that they can't? They are removing cars with poor mpgs to save money on oil. I don't see how this is any different than the other money saving programs. It's not like they are coming to your house and taking your car. People are trading them in on their own free will. I for one would much rather drive a 500+hp vehicle and get my 12 mpgs than drive around in some prius.

At least they only have to destroy the engine/drive train and not the whole vehicle.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Show me where in the constitution they are allowed to do this and many other things they have done in recent years.
where does it say in the constitution that they can't?
The Gov. has the right of eminent domain, *Constitutionally*, to *take* whatever property they want without reimbursement. Be thankful they didn't just take the cars and tell you "sorry charlie..." And so there's no mistake, that is part of the original Thomas Jefferson drafted document.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The Gov. has the right of eminent domain, *Constitutionally*, to *take* whatever property they want without reimbursement. Be thankful they didn't just take the cars and tell you "sorry charlie..." And so there's no mistake, that is part of the original Thomas Jefferson drafted document.

Not quite. Courts have held that eminent domain applies to land primarily, and goods only to the extant required for direct use in wartime (i.e. they need your truck to transport troops).

What's wrong about the Clunkers deal was the fact that it was part of a larger Porkulus Bill that in itself represents a wholly unjustified expansion of the federal government. The Constituation is about ensuring the freedoms of Americans and at the same time restricting the powers of the Federal government. The Clunkers program represents a direct redistribution of wealth from pockets of 10's of millions of taxpayers to the pockets of the 700,000 who bought cars under the program. There is nothing in the Constitution that gives any person the right to take his or her neighbor's money to buy a new horse, cart, or automobile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts