Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are some cars you first thought were weird or dumb, but then bought one and thought it was cool?

I picked up a Kday exclusive silver Baja Breaker today. With the exception of the Nose Art version, I thought the Baja Breaker was a weird looking model with weird paintjobs. After opening mine up and playing with it, I now think it's a pretty cool vehicle. The off-road type wheels add character.

·
Registered
893 Posts
94-96 impala ss is my choice, I didn't really like b-bodies that much back then, but today I would like to own a black one.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I really can't think of any. I guess once my mind is made up, it's made up.
There are cars who's looks stink a little less in my opinion than they once did, but they still kinda stink.

94-96 impala ss is my choice, I didn't really like b-bodies that much back then, but today I would like to own a black one.
Same here, but dark cherry metallic. I've always thought the '94-'96 Impala was a great looking car and had the 'Lord Vader' ad up on my wall in high school. :p

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Usually I find a car not quite as cool as I first thought it was a couple months after getting it. The other way around is quite rare. The Sting Rod and Sting Rod II were kind of odd and I didn't care much for them until I really got into Post-Apocalyptic Movies and Jada came out with their series of battle cars.

Sometimes you just need a nice paint job to spark interest in a casting. When I first saw the '69 COPO Corvette I thought "another Corvette, big deal", but the Race Team version looks awesome

As for the Baja Breaker, I preferred the original one with the opening hood :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I bought a 1960 Galaxie 4 door sedan when I was newly out of school - I thought it was ugly but it was cheap and I was poor. My dad also thought it was an ugly car and told me (joking of course, but with a little seriousness behind it) that he would rather I would park it down the street and not in front of our house. Now I see the 1960 Starliners and think how sleek and great looking they are. I have a small. 1:64, Ertl model of one but it's pretty chintzy. I would like to add a quality one to my collection someday.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I have a friend who recently traded in his formerly beloved, bought and paid for '01 Ford Explorer Sportrac, for monthly payments on a brand new Scion (Skeeeeeon) iQ fits in the palm of your hand, greenmobile. And he's not even married with family or anything to feel pressured to buy such a thing. That car makes me question his sexuality... That Scion is homely now, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be even more homely ten years from now.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I bought a 1960 Galaxie 4 door sedan when I was newly out of school - I thought it was ugly but it was cheap and I was poor. My dad also thought it was an ugly car and told me (joking of course, but with a little seriousness behind it) that he would rather I would park it down the street and not in front of our house.
My mom would do that to me if I drove a Rambler!

I have a friend who recently traded in his formerly beloved, bought and paid for '01 Ford Explorer Sportrac, for monthly payments on a brand new Scion (Skeeeeeon) iQ.
Does he get in it or put it on? That's one vehicle that I genuinely hope nobody replicates in die-cast.

I really can't think of any. I guess once my mind is made up, it's made up.
I'm pretty much the same way, though some 1980s and earlier Japanese cars are starting to look better as I get older. On the other side of the coin, I don't like the Jada and 1 Badd Ride castings I recently retrieved as much as i used to.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Oh that's just too funny of a coincidence - the only brand new car my dad ever bought was a 1960 Rambler wagon - in pink and white! Adds even more irony to the exchange about the 60 Ford I bought. :lol::lol::lol: Although, knowing my dad and his way with money, I'll bet the only reason he bought it was because the dealer probably sold it super dirt cheap just to unload it. hahahaha:lol::lol::lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts