Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2672 Posts

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck thread has been thriving ever since the original "Cars" thread got locked up due to some members' misbehavior. I think enough time has gone by (and enough penalties have been handed out recently) for us to give this thing another shot. So, let me lead off with a few that I saw at a little rinky-dink, hole-in-the-wall used car lot in Gap, PA this afternoon on our way home from the annual open house at The Corvair Ranch, a Corvair-only repair and restoration shop in Gettysburg, PA. I'll toss a few shots from that event up on the thread in a day or two - I thought I'sd start things rolling with some general-interest old cars/beaters:

'58 Pontiac Chieftan, last regestered in 1984 in California, of all places! A note on the dashboard says the car has a "Fuel-Injected Chevy Small Block" under the hood and, sure enough, it has... A greasy, crusty, early 80's throttle-body injected engine that probaly hasn't run since the car was parked!

'40 Pontiac - Nice car and probably well worth he asking price, even though it IS a 4-door sedan:

A '68 Dart GT that has definitely seen better days:

Chop the springs with a cutting torch, add some scallops and pinstripes with house trim paint, throw a really neat-o skull and crossbones plate on the front bumper and voila! INSTANT RAT ROD!

I wasn't too taken wih the aluminum paint on the bumpers of this '53 Ford:

At a $1,300 asking price less than the Ford, this '55 Plymouth Plaza (which was in better overall condition) looked like a much better deal:

$5,199 fo a clapped-out, 6-cylinder/Ford-o-matic Falcon 2-door sedan? Are they off their nut???

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I thought it highly unesessary my thread got the ax, that's why I started
the other thread "Car Pix & Stories". (storys? Pathetic. God I suck at spelling)
Sadly it hasn't realy been added to too much, but as long as folks check it out, that's good enough.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
Yeah, that '40 Pontiac is my favorite of the bunch also.

Lummox, I thought your Cars, Pix & "Stories" thread was more of a history thread. If it is the successor of the original cars thread I'll keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Lummox, I thought your Cars, Pix & "Stories" thread was more of a history thread. If it is the successor of the original cars thread I'll keep that in mind. :thumbsup:
No, not at all. Mainly just for random car pix that catch anyone's eye like the locked thread.
Please do join in, I'd love it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
OH! I got's butt loads of cars that "caught my attention."

This is my favorite car of all time. The Healey 100, though maybe not the fastest now was the fastest production sports car of its day. Never got to drive one but I've got 3 I hope to get 1 out of before I die. So I put this collage together and now its my favorite coffe cup.

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
I liked the '40 pontiac the best, too. Nothin' wrong with a 4-door in my eyes.

CH - NICE Healey. A neighbor of ours had a 3000 Mk II roadster years ago. Not as fast but a fun car. The first time he took me for a "spin around the block" we returned about 3 hours-and-a-six-pack later...

I thought it highly unesessary my thread got the ax, that's why I started
the other thread "Car Pix & Stories". (storys? Pathetic. God I suck at spelling)
Sadly it hasn't realy been added to too much, but as long as folks check it out, that's good enough.
Lum, I'll have to come up with some car stories for you...

:wave:

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last Sunday, as my wife and I were headed to my folks place for our weekly visit, we came across this factory-produced '71 Cadillac Fleetwood limousine that was looking for a good home. Frankly, about the only home I see in this car's future is the shop that preps it for Demolition Derby duty. Man, this car is ROUGH, but it's owner seems to think he can squeeze $2,500 out of it. It's got a current plate on it, but the inspection expired several months ago. With all it's rust-out, it'll take some serious welding to get it to pass again. Check out the aftermarket tube grille and those four HUGE exhaust tips!

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
PA isn't very friendly to antique cars are they?
Those pipes are nuts, but I would like to check out this car in person.
Notice the louvers in the rear deck just behind the window. This was a 1971-only detail, connected to the ventilation system, which was later modified.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Also, '71 Cads also has just emblems inbetween the headlights on each side.
Massive tub, Jim!
And dig that crazy Plymouth. 1960 I think. Total Exnerd mobile!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I want that 58 Pontiac wagon real bad !! I can picture it now,
slammed on the ground .paint the rims and some wide whites .. new interior detailed engine compartment upgraded chevy power.. I wouldn't dare touch the paint , its perfect for me
im happy that 1 of your pics has the # for the place in it....
the dart is a nice start to build a really cool car. my friend had a red one with a 340 4spd and cragars back in the 70's
the falcon would make a bad as gasser too !!
you got my gears turnin now

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ely St... That car came to the right thread, eh Jim? ;)
I hadn't even noticed the "Ely St" sign when I first looked at those pix - I was too busy just looking at the car and thinking that, if it were just a year older it was almost exactly as I pictured the '58 Fury 4-door in "Christine" when Arnie first discovered her, location and all!

(Yes, I know the '58 Fury was only available as a 2-door hardtop, but apparently Stephen King didn't. He refers to the car's back doors a couple of times in the book)

You need more cars Jim.
Too much is not enough, I always say!
I'm always on the lookout for more, and since I got a cell phone with a decent camera I never have an excuse for not taking the pictures unless either there's no safe place to pull off or I have to get somewhere in a hurry. Yesterday I missed out on two for just those reasons: A 1960-ish Chevy pickup still being used by a landscaping service (and it looked like it had been in service since day one, albeit well taken care of with a repaint some time in it's past), and a thoroughly beat mid 60's GMC Suburban with a "For Sale" sign in the windshield. I might be able to get a shot of the GMC some time in the future, since I'm in that area from time to time and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon!

60ChevyJim, the lot is in Gap, PA, about 10 miles east of Lancaster. I agree that the Falcon would make a GREAT gasser project! The Dart is already a 340 car (What a sleeper!) if you're interested in recreating your friend's car.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I want to call about the poncho wagon this week , I am a wagon man.
I have a 60 chevy 2door wagon and a 59 sedan delivery that I was driving today..
I gave my wife my 94 LT1 roadmaster woody wagon
with 95 impala SS rims and a chevy front bumper and grill an all the buick emblems removed..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
jim I put some yard pics in the trucks post , check out my chevy car farm..
it's my field of dreams.
my brother in law has a red 65 corvair convertible
he put the 4 carb motor in .
it has a 4spd too and some new 14" centerline style rims .

1 - 20 of 2672 Posts